Here's what I find sad

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Here's what I find sad

Post by nogerO »

Lets say we had a defense the last 5-6 years that was statistically in the top 40-50%. How many think we would have a NC trophy by now? I know time of possession and all, but really. Your thoughts? I think probably one.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
rockthief
Senior

Re: Here's what I find sad

Post by rockthief »

Yep one for certain.
StreeterCL
One Star Recruit

Post by StreeterCL »

2. Maybe 3
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I'd say at least 1, although the D played well against Auburn in that game. But layed a egg against urban university
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

A lot of what ifs. If Maldonado wasn't terrible Oregon would've won one in 2012, or if DAT made one simple block. Almost feels like Oregon is cursed. What if Ifo didn't tear his ACL or if Pharoah never had that crazy injury?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Out defense in 2010 and 2011 were top 25 defenses. In 2010 we were like top 15 in scoring defense. Our defense did more than enough for us to best auburn in that gsme. I'm not a pellum fan or anything but we have had some good defenses.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

We have had 4-5 season where we had opportunities to win the NC - starting with the Stanford blunder with Joey. The only year an argument can even be made to blame it on the D was last year. And i still blame that loss on the quick drives caused by drops from Chuck and Stanford in the first half. We were looking so good and those drops killed so much momentum. Our defense was absolutely gassed by the fourth when Elliot started killing us. With that said, last year is the only season where an argument for this can be made. When we played AU Mathews forced a clutch fumble on Cam late in the game and we held them to under 30! Our D has been bad this year but it hasn't been a deciding factor in the past. Bring back Allioti! lol
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

As some mentioned above, we have had a top 50 defense in the country like 3 of the last 6 years. It's really only been the last two years where defense has been worse than usual.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:As some mentioned above, we have had a top 50 defense in the country like 3 of the last 6 years. It's really only been the last two years where defense has been worse than usual.
It somewhat surprised me but during Alliotti's last 5 years, we had the 20th and 12th ranked defense. While not a fan of his 2 gap philosophy, his results were still good and performed well in the Natty.

DP isn't even close. Depending upon what statistical approach (FEI, S&P, Yard/points)the best we mustered last year was 31st. Yards and points we were in the 59th and I believe S&P had us at 51st but I might have confused the FEI and S&P results. Still not acceptable or good.