Wilcox for DC?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Wilcox for DC?

Post by Duck07 »

Wilcox has a larger body or work to look at than just this year. Frankly he is pretty up and down year to year and I'd say no if I was Phil.
Braveheart
Sophomore

Post by Braveheart »

Pellum=Wilcox

I'm sure ya'll would prefer a different D than bend and occasionally break.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Our defense this year was bend...then break... not occasionally break. I agree though... do not want a bend but don't break defense. I want a defense that does not commit stupid penalties and gets off the field on third down. To have a team 3rd and 15 only to give up first down on a regular basis is pathetic.
srsmiley007
Four Star Recruit

Post by srsmiley007 »

Wilcox No. All that talent and still can't turn out a rock solid "D".

We have got to get rid of our 2 gap hold'em techniques and move to an aggressive 1 gap scheme.

What do you think of these guys?:
Barry Odum (Missouri) (awful offense, good defense) may be out of a job at Missou
Osia Lewis (SDSU) - former Beaver, (top 20 defense in rushing at 2 different schools UNM and SDSU) tough get, but possible.
Marcel Yates (Boise State) - inferior talent, experience at 2 different programs. Boise state guy and probably not likely to switch but it's possible. Great recruiter, strong ties to LA. Utilzes a 4-2-5 defense

Doubtful but due to relationships/regional ties/other-
Don Brown - I wish but clearly a new england guy and 60 yrs. old.
Phil Snow - Very tight with head coach, they will both likely move on to Matt Rhules new team as he'll likely take a new job at one of the other oppenings.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I stated in an earlier thread that he will make our defense better but not elite. I'm fine with him as a hire cause I think he is an improvement but I don't think he's a home run hire. Just a solid double
I'm OK with being the 50th-60th best defense in the country. If Wilcox or someone else can make that a reality, sign them up.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

People forget that when he was DC at BSU and we played them away, we did not get a first down in the first half of the game. That is not bend defense. That is aggressive smash mouth D. I know he has been up and down, but never as down as Pillows.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

UofDuck wrote:People forget that when he was DC at BSU and we played them away, we did not get a first down in the first half of the game. That is not bend defense. That is aggressive smash mouth D. I know he has been up and down, but never as down as Pillows.
But Oregon shredded his defense every time we played him since BSU.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

maxduck wrote:
UofDuck wrote:People forget that when he was DC at BSU and we played them away, we did not get a first down in the first half of the game. That is not bend defense. That is aggressive smash mouth D. I know he has been up and down, but never as down as Pillows.
We shredded almost every defense since BSU. I'm not as worried about how well someone does against Oregon as I am with how they do against everyone else.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I get the feeling that even if we do make a change at DC, people will ultimately be unhappy with whoever we get, given the nature of the Pac-12.

I'd love to see us get back to playing more aggressive D. But I'm also not going to be surprised if we make that change and still give up more than 20 points per game.

Also, Wilcox has never impressed me. Not sure why we'd actually fire someone to make room for such a non-factor.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

maxduck wrote:
We move the ball at will vs bozo st in 08, before they cheap shoted Masoli. Then Thomas shredded them for a quarter.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

People forget that when he was DC at BSU and we played them away, we did not get a first down in the first half of the game.
First game of the season, Chip's first game as HC and LaGarette Blount was a mess. Masoli was also very shaky to start that season. LaMike and Barner hadn't developed yet. We had no deep threat, and our running game wasn't exactly dynamic.

We'd have crushed Boise State if we could have played them midseason instead of the first game. We saw what happened when Wilcox faced an experienced Oregon team while with the Huskies.

Just not at all impressed with him. I'd rather keep Pellum than take a sidestep.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

To be clear, I'm not at all advocating for Wilcox, but his rise was based on early results that are measurable and were considered valuable.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I don't think we crush them if we played then again. That was a great Boise team and we finished up being a really good team but we weren't unbelievable in 09.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

That was a good BSU team, but its defense wasn't that good. From a total defense perspective, BSU finished the year just slightly better than Washington. Not only did we torch Washington, but BSU racked up stats against inferior competition all season long.

ESPN ranked that BSU's defensive efficiency (which accounts for SOS) as 41st in the nation... three Pac-10 teams were ranked higher; we beat all three and whipped two (USC and UW).

The difference was Chip Kelly had settled in, LMJ & Barner found their rhythms and Masoli developed further as a QB. In fact, the only of the aforementioned three games that wasn't a blood bath was against UCLA, when Masoli was injured. And like BSU, we were held scoreless in that first half, too. Did UCLA have amazing D? Nope. Oregon was just down to Nate Costa.

So I really don't think what happened at BSU was a result of some master gameplan by Wilcox. They were just very fortunate to catch Oregon at the right time. We absolutely destroyed Wilcox when he was with Tennessee and UW.

Again, not impressed with him in the slightest, at least not as a DC candidate. I might grab my own pitchfork if we fire anyone to make room for him. By all means, though, bring him in as a position coach and bring him back into the family.
odux
Three Star Recruit

Post by odux »

2 problems. 1. He's not that good. Had elite talent at USC and had above average talent at UW. And he never did anything with it. It would be a lateral move for Oregon to go after him, which doesn't make sense. Always seem to have players that are willing to take a cheap shot when things aren't going their way. And most importantly, 2. He will cost too much.