LA Times ranks Oregon top 5 to start next season

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

woundedknees
All-American

LA Times ranks Oregon top 5 to start next season

Post by woundedknees »

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-col ... 4967.story

(I am not a particular fan of pre-season, or even early season polls, but this is kinda fun!)

Taking into consideration which players are staying in school and which are headed to the NFL, Times' college football columnist Chris Dufresne offers a sneak-peek at his preseason top five:

1) Florida

2) USC

3) Texas

4) Chokelahoma

5) OREGON

Comment: Lose one Jeremiah, keep another. Truth is, no one wanted to play Oregon at the end of the year. The Ducks' offense scored 55, 65 and 42 points in closing wins against Arizona, Oregon State and Oklahoma State. Masoli is an emerging superstar. Oregon opens at Boise State followed by home games against Purdue, Utah and Cal. A 4-0 start against that lineup puts Ducks in serious national title contention -- plus they get USC in Eugene.

Hard to believe that is an LA writer!
Last edited by woundedknees on Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Re: LA Times ranks Orego top 5 to start next season

Post by gofightingducks »

If the Ducks beat Boise State and then win their next four games (all at home) they will be 5-0 before their first Conference road game, which will put them into the top 10 (maybe as early as their 2nd or 4th games) and could maybe even be a top 5 team depending on where they rank to start the season (I think they will be as high as 12 or as low as 16) and where Boise State, Utah and Cal rank (they should all be in the top 20). It could be similar to 2007 when USC comes to town, both teams ranked in the top 10 vying for first place in the PAC! Maybe the Cal and/or USC games get Gameday in town again :) I am excited, hopefully this time around injuries don't derail the Ducks season.