Ducks Depth Chart, based on '15 & '16 classes

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Ducks Depth Chart, based on '15 & '16 classes

Post by StevensTechU »

Looking at a signing class in isolation is a little bit absurd for a few reasons. Every team has different needs, so missing on a 5* RB could be a bigger deal in some years than in others. As such, here is a look at what an Oregon depth chart based only on the last two classes would look like. [denotes upper classman]

QB- [Prukop,] Travis Waller, Justin Herbert, Terry Wilson
RB- Taj Griffin
WR1- Kirk Merritt
WR2- Dillon Mitchell
WR3- Alex Ofodile, Tristen Wallace
TE- Jacob Breeland, Cameron McCormick
LT- Calvin Throckmorton
LG - Shane Lemieux
C- Jake Hanson, Jacob Capra
RG- Zach Okun, Samuelu Poutasi
RT- Logan Bathke, Brady Aiello

WDE- Bryson Young, Hunter Kampmoyer
DT- Rex Manu, Drayton Carlberg
DT- Wayne Kirby, Gary Baker
SDE- Canton Kaumatule, Gus Cumberlander
OLB- [Jonah Moi,] Eric Briscoe
ILB- [AJ Hotchkins,] Keith Simms,
OLB- Darrian Franklin, La'Mar Winston
SS- Dylan Kane, Fotu Leiato, Troy Dye
FS- Jihree Stewart, Brady Breeze,
CB- Ugo Amadi
CB- Malik Lovette

IMO:
Strengths: WR (4/4 studs), OT (loads of athleticism), SDE/DT (good talent and depth) and CB (thin but talented)
Weaknesses: WDE (no pure WDE), OG (hard to project a surefire all-league candidate out of the bunch)
timberduck
Two Star Recruit

Re: Ducks Depth Chart, based on '15 & '16 classes

Post by timberduck »

How can you list CB as a strength? We lost our only 4* CB recruit and are essentially just bringing back a thinner version of what was one of the worst secondaries in all of CFB last season.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

timberduck wrote:How can you list CB as a strength? We lost our only 4* CB recruit and are essentially just bringing back a thinner version of what was one of the worst secondaries in all of CFB last season.
He's only ranking the DBs from the 2015 and 2016 classes btw.

And frankly, I'm more confident in our DB group next season than our DL and LB groups (assuming health isn't a huge point of concern).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

timberduck wrote:How can you list CB as a strength? We lost our only 4* CB recruit and are essentially just bringing back a thinner version of what was one of the worst secondaries in all of CFB last season.

Freshman generally improve as do SO who played sparingly as Fr. Anyone who thinks our secondary is going to be bad next year, is welcome to think that, but you would be very wrong.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

So fairly simple answer. I'm basing it off of who Oregon got as opposed to who they didn't get. And while having just 2 CBs over 2 classes is less than ideal (which I noted it being thin), I wouldn't be surprised if both Amadi and Lovette ended up all-conference guys later in their career.

I'm really curious what people think when they look at that 2-class depth chart. Great? Good? Bad? Terrible?
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I actually think this paints a much better picture of what the coaches are doing. I think the depth is pretty good. Do I see sure fire 1st round NFL talent? No. I do, however, so good players that can buy in to a system and win some games. Fans get so focused on "what wasn't" or "who didn't sign." If you look at it this way, the Ducks will be FINE.