Tyner is medically retiring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Tyner is medically retiring

Post by greenyellow »

It'll be interesting to see when it's announced what he'll do this upcoming season. I've seen numerous reports of him being completely done with football and a couple where he's coming back. Based on his Twitter account, you'd be hard pressed to any mentions of him ever being a football player.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Tyner's status

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Gut says he's gone, but I really hope he stays for his sake (or at the very least transfers to another school). Lots of talent, no reason to waste it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

It's 50 50 right now only person who knows is Tyner himself. I wouldn't look into what people are reporting he still doesn't know what he wants to do.
Return Of the Quack!
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Gut says he's gone, but I really hope he stays for his sake (or at the very least transfers to another school). Lots of talent, no reason to waste it.
It's a brutal game that can ruin your body for life. If you don 't love it- which there are many suggestions that TT doesn't- do something else. I don't think that is wasting anything.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It's crazy to me to think that if Tyner did come back, he has 2 years of eligibility left. That means he could potentially be a part of the backfield before Royce and after Royce. I love Taj, but Oregon could really use Tyner next year when Freeman is gone off to the NFL.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

wlduck wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:Gut says he's gone, but I really hope he stays for his sake (or at the very least transfers to another school). Lots of talent, no reason to waste it.
It's a brutal game that can ruin your body for life. If you don 't love it- which there are many suggestions that TT doesn't- do something else. I don't think that is wasting anything.
But hindsight isn't very loving sometimes either. More often than not when I talk to former HS or college athletes who stopped playing sports for various reasons, I don't know one who didn't regret it.

I don't know Thomas Tyner personally (although I played against his cousins in a recreational softball game in Hillsboro lol), but often it's the little distractions that pull you away and convince you that the game isn't fun anymore. It isn't until later, you realize you miss/love the game. So, yes if his reason is due to health, that seems completely reasonable. I completely agree. For his own sake, I hope his reasoning for quitting isn't something relatively superficial to the point that he regrets the decision.

Ultimately, I wish the best for the guy, especially him being a local kid.

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

This is one issue I'm ready for a solid, confirmed response to. Callers have asked the question to two different sports shows on the radio....... both host dodge the question, I'm assuming because they know no more than myself. We hear of other players leaving the team but no word on Tyner.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

Even though his playing time was short, Tyner was fun to watch and follow. I hope he can take care of his medical needs and the university sticks by him to help him graduate.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

He's retiring per Andrew Greif of the Oregonian. Thanks for everything, Thomas! Best of luck the rest of the way!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Too bad he couldn't have played through it, but in the end being able to enjoy a healthy body is worth more than making NFL cash and trashing yourself.

Will never forget that wicked spin move against Stanford!
Last edited by pezsez1 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Welp, there the answer. Taking a medical retirement. Too bad, kid was a beast. Best of luck in whatever he does moving forward.
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

ya on the Fan they just had it breaking news that he is, good luck with your future Thomas
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Can't say I'm surprised as him being away from the team the entire year wasn't a good sign of him returning. Just seems like top-ranked Oregon HS kids never pan out like people think they will.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Can't blame the guy, wish him the best.

AnnieDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by AnnieDuck »