Tyner is medically retiring

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Tyner's status

Post by Alan »

Yup, solid confirmed answer. Wish him the best and admire him for thinking about his education. Good luck TT.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Re: Tyner's status

Post by FlDuckFan »

Dang, I'm gonna miss him. Wish him the best going forward in life.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Re: Tyner is medically retiring

Post by cmmadness »

Two completely different scenarios but as a fellow Washington County resident,
I had high hopes for both Tyner and Colt Lyerla. Sad to see it end this way, but it's his (Tyner's)
body and he has to live in it for 70 more years. Sounds like a good decision.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Canzano has a new article up (and like usual, with a headline that knocks Oregon) where he discusses all his time covering Tyner through the years and now his retirement. From the way he writes about all their encounters and interactions, he now feels Tyner was never really comfortable with all the attention he got and that his interest in sports was never all that great to begin with, which made his decision that much easier for him. It seems like his dad was more interested in Thomas' athletic endeavors than Thomas was himself, as his dad didn't mind boasting about his son's accomplishments while Thomas didn't want him talking about it anymore.

Also, the article said Tyner was still sufferering from a torn labrum he got as a SO in HS. It makes you wonder why he never got it fixed instead of playing with it and then injuring the other shoulder. Something funky is up there between Thomas, his parents, and whatever medical professionals they dealt with.
Last edited by greenyellow on Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

Hopefully, his shoulder isn't totally shredded. I work with a guy that can barely lift his right arm because of a lack of connective tissue in his shoulder. His doctors keep telling him to avoid getting a shoulder replacement surgery as long as possible. They don't want him to have to have it replaced multiple times. My coworker is 40.

I wish him all the best.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Good luck to Tyner! Obviously as duck fans we would've hoped he would've stayed a duck, unreal talent in that kid, but what I love about the Oregon culture is we see our ducks as people first, players second, unlike many coaches and programs around the nation. I truly hope this decision turns out to be the best one for him and he never regrets it. Best of luck to him, hope he finds nothing but success in whatever it is he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uostudent
Senior

Post by uostudent »

Best of luck to Tyner. Was really fun to watch when healthy. He was an absolute monster in the Rose Bowl against Florida State.

Tyner comes from a solid upbringing - both parents are well-educated with good jobs.

Sounds like Tyner's true passion is art, as he's a product design major. Good for him - he'll probably get a job at Nike or Adidas.
“If everybody in this room just want to be real with themselves, this game could have went either way,” he said. “We turned the ball over a lot. We beat ourself. Just be real with yourself right now. We beat ourself.”
-Jameis Winston after Oregon's decisive 59-20 victory over Florida State in the Rose Bowl
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sounds like he skipped a lot of rehab over the last year. Good luck to him, but he'll learn soon enough, we have to do a lot of stuff we don't love, and none of it would have paid for him a house a year out of college like a year in the NFL would have.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:Sounds like he skipped a lot of rehab over the last year. Good luck to him, but he'll learn soon enough, we have to do a lot of stuff we don't love, and none of it would have paid for him a house a year out of college like a year in the NFL would have.
Biggest mistake him and his family made was not getting his right shoulder fixed in HS instead of letting it get worse and then having his other shoulder banged up as well, resulting in him facing consecutive surgeries and rehabs.
goducks
Freshman

Post by goducks »

buckmarkduck wrote:Sounds like he skipped a lot of rehab over the last year. Good luck to him, but he'll learn soon enough, we have to do a lot of stuff we don't love, and none of it would have paid for him a house a year out of college like a year in the NFL would have.
I wonder if it is only a "don't love" issue? Having a lot of money is nice, but one's health is so much more important! He also remains on scholarship, so he he has no student debt like many others. If he continues his studies, gets his degree and a job he should be fine and probably happier than if he continued football.

Notice the plane that we flew on?
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

I wonder if he has any interest in track. That would be much easier on his body.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I find it odd that all the interviews and questions have been taken and answered by his dad ever since it was announced Tyner was sitting out the season back in like June or July.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It would be nice for TT to do a interview, maybe a goodby to the fans. But it's his choice, and it sounds like he's just happy to not give any real explanations.

It's funny I just watched the Bears 30 for 30, and each guy said they would do it all again. Even knowing what the injuries have done to them, like Jim Mcmahon, who's really messed up. Some guys love it so much, they would run through a wall to play the game, and some guys don't. No shame either way.