Is this program eroding back into mediocrity?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

timberduck
Two Star Recruit

Is this program eroding back into mediocrity?

Post by timberduck »

One of the worst defenses in CFB being "replenished" by our worst recruiting class in a decade (which saw 6 commits flip in the last two months, with no major flips in the other direction) This will also be the second year in a row that we've had to steal someone else's QB as a temporary fix, due to not having any in-house QB's on the roster that can start at the FBS level. Oh, and let's not forget the unmitigated disaster and humiliation that was the Alamo Bowl.

Everything positive from last season can basically be traced back to the special ability of a QB we didn't develop. If Vernon failed his math test last August, we probably wouldn't have made bowl eligibility. Think about that. From the NCG to sub .500 in less than a year. How is that allowed to happen?

This coaching staff's mediocrity in recruiting and talent development is slowly chipping (no pun intended) away at everything Chip built from 2007-2012. Call me entitled, call me spoiled, but I think the next couple years are going to be pretty hard to watch for those fans who weren't around before the Chip era.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Re: Is this program eroding back into mediocrity?

Post by duxforlyfe »

I'll wait until after next season to legitimately respond to this. I think we're going to do great next year if Dakota stays healthy. Too many great players and two new great hires to say the sky is falling.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

can we delete this thread?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I for one am glad that Frost is gone as the QB coach since it was under his watch that the QB position atrophied behind Mariota. Mariota had the luxury of 2 seasons with Chip and Helfrich being his QB coaches to make him into the QB he became. Frost had almost nothing to do with how Marcus played his last years at Oregon.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

greenyellow wrote:I for one am glad that Frost is gone as the QB coach since it was under his watch that the QB position atrophied behind Mariota. Mariota had the luxury of 2 seasons with Chip and Helfrich being his QB coaches to make him into the QB he became. Frost had almost nothing to do with how Marcus played his last years at Oregon.
I feel the same way. I am optimistic about Yost as well.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
timberduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by timberduck »

mdm0302 wrote:can we delete this thread?
Because you don't agree with me? Or do you have a legitimate reason why this should be deleted?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

We realized that we were starting to potentially step into mediocrity, and made appropriate changes by hiring a competent defensive coordinator. I think we are taking the proper measures to avoid the possibility of mediocrity.

I'm pretty pleased with the actions we've taken so far. I think Hoke is the right hire, and it'll pay off.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

timberduck wrote:
Because you don't agree with me? Or do you have a legitimate reason why this should be deleted?
I'm guessing it is because we have now officially entered the offseason and now the board is starting to fill up with sky is falling threads again. All of the points you bring up have already been bickered about in other negative threads. I see where you are coming from on many of your points but like I said, most of it has already been argued over and over recently. These always turn into fights between the optimistic fans and the pessimistic fans. So he probably wants it locked because we've seen how this ends.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I think we shouldn't delete threads when they're just expressing a relevant, non-hostile opinion. If it's a stupid opinion the other members will let the person know.

We were a plausible playoff contender were it not for an injury to our QB this year. This is a ridiculous thread. If we totally s*** the bed next year, or if we have a few 4-loss-plus season in a row, okay, mediocrity is imaginable. For now, this is indeed stupid.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

karlhungis wrote:
timberduck wrote:
I'm guessing it is because we have now officially entered the offseason and now the board is starting to fill up with sky is falling threads again. All of the points you bring up have already been bickered about in other negative threads. I see where you are coming from on many of your points but like I said, most of it has already been argued over and over recently. These always turn into fights between the optimistic fans and the pessimistic fans. So he probably wants it locked because we've seen how this ends.
Thank you Karl.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

UOducksTK1 wrote:We realized that we were starting to potentially step into mediocrity, and made appropriate changes by hiring a competent defensive coordinator. I think we are taking the proper measures to avoid the possibility of mediocrity.

I'm pretty pleased with the actions we've taken so far. I think Hoke is the right hire, and it'll pay off.
I'm in strong agreement with this! I am glad they recognized that things were falling off and didn't try to ride it out. I think the fresh faces will be really helpful.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

One of the worst defenses in CFB being "replenished" by our worst recruiting class in a decade
Honestly, it's difficult to take the point of this thread seriously when it starts off like this. The heart of this class is a bunch of studs who will help our defense tremendously. We also made a great hire for the DC position.

We also completely replenished our stable of quarterbacks.

Don't know what else to say, other than no, we're not fading into mediocrity. Our schedule this next season actually sets us up incredibly well for a playoff run.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think how you view our team moving forward is based on your expectations for the program. If you expect national championships then I think criticism and lack of faith in Helf is looming to be justifiable. If you expect ten wins a year then I think we are fine. Less than ten wins a year and there should be no pressure at all on the staff.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

You could also argue had VA not been hurt we would have made the CFP despite the awful defense and no one really would have noticed the perceived dropoff. Mariota hid quite a few deficiencies that were exposed when VA got hurt, so you could actually argue that last years debacle helped the program?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Chicken and egg question-- Did Oregon fans think the program was going to 'fall back to mediocrity' first and the media jumped on it, or did the media theorize this first and fans accepted it?

Either way, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy because college recruiting is sales, and sales is image/brand. Have another coffee and perk up.