Is this program eroding back into mediocrity?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Is this program eroding back into mediocrity?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

gosterman01 wrote:Good point TK. I wasn't talking about anyone really in particular, just irritated after hearing sooooo many different debby downers. It was a rough year for multiple reasons but imo we will come back even better.
No problem, just trying to explain there's no reason to get fired up. Thanks for understanding, and I agree about next season. I really think a good defense (not necessarily even great, but I'll take it if it happens :mrgreen: ) would make us very hard to beat.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Completely agree with everyone, it's way too early to make a concrete judgement on Helf. Though I'll give the OP this, Helf did promote DP, we all saw how bad of a decision that was. I do think a lot of fans were yelling at DP but weren't yelling at Helf for hiring him, that was Helf's call and it was a bad one, and no doubt it was a big contributor to the disappointment we experienced last season. Of course, he was a new coach, these things happen, it just was a much bigger mistake than we had hoped for. Seeing Helf demote DP and go out and get Hoke gives me a lot of hope that he's learned from his mistakes and he's really serious about winning a national championship. Also, is anyone else glad that Frost is gone? I couldn't stand him both in the coaching booth and outside of the coaching booth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Completely agree with everyone, it's way too early to make a concrete judgement on Helf. Though I'll give the OP this, Helf did promote DP, we all saw how bad of a decision that was. I do think a lot of fans were yelling at DP but weren't yelling at Helf for hiring him, that was Helf's call and it was a bad one, and no doubt it was a big contributor to the disappointment we experienced last season. Of course, he was a new coach, these things happen, it just was a much bigger mistake than we had hoped for. Seeing Helf demote DP and go out and get Hoke gives me a lot of hope that he's learned from his mistakes and he's really serious about winning a national championship. Also, is anyone else glad that Frost is gone? I couldn't stand him both in the coaching booth and outside of the coaching booth.

And Bellotti hired Ludwig and Crowton before hiring Chip. Helf also hired Lubick, and that seems to be working out well. There is no way anyone is going to bat 1,000 on hires, whether it's football or anywhere else. As you say, the most important thing is that he took action in about as swift a timeline as he could. And on paper, made a very good correction.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

9 wins isn't eroding. Stanford "only" had 8 wins last year before coming back to win the conference this season. If 9 wins is a bad year, sign me up, because I remember much worse years even under Bellotti.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

wlduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:Completely agree with everyone, it's way too early to make a concrete judgement on Helf. Though I'll give the OP this, Helf did promote DP, we all saw how bad of a decision that was. I do think a lot of fans were yelling at DP but weren't yelling at Helf for hiring him, that was Helf's call and it was a bad one, and no doubt it was a big contributor to the disappointment we experienced last season. Of course, he was a new coach, these things happen, it just was a much bigger mistake than we had hoped for. Seeing Helf demote DP and go out and get Hoke gives me a lot of hope that he's learned from his mistakes and he's really serious about winning a national championship. Also, is anyone else glad that Frost is gone? I couldn't stand him both in the coaching booth and outside of the coaching booth.

And Bellotti hired Ludwig and Crowton before hiring Chip. Helf also hired Lubick, and that seems to be working out well. There is no way anyone is going to bat 1,000 on hires, whether it's football or anywhere else. As you say, the most important thing is that he took action in about as swift a timeline as he could. And on paper, made a very good correction.
Don't forget Rich Stubler and the "Edge" principle.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

Also worth noting that Belotti should have gotten us to a championship in 2001. Then the Seattle bowl season happened, and the sky fell. We are nowhere near being as bad as in the Seattle bowl season.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It is a legit question by the OP, short answer is no they haven't. Their winning ways have continued with Helf in charged, DP was a problem last season but that is resolved. Although I believe next season will be a transition year with two new coordinators plus other new coaches to the system. With that said I also believe we have a legit shot at the Rose Bowl and maybe the playoffs.

Although it is the off season and LOI day is over, I would like to start the campiagn to fire Hoke! After all what has he really done since joining the Ducks? It's time for a change!
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

This is one of those threads you can look back at several months later and think about hindsight and stuff.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Does the OP know we have a new coach?
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Duck07 wrote:Lol, last year wasn't mediocre. We've had about one mediocre year in the last 15. If you want to see the sky fall, you'll find better reception at oregonlive, or dawgman. I'm sure they'd love to entertain the fall of the Duck with the rise of the Poodle!
Prescient.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

The Return of RoboDuck?
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!