GM: Boston Celtics GM

Helf on recruiting philosophy

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Re: Helf on recruiting philosophy

Post by gofightingducks »

All of the reasons he stated is why I have no issue with this class not being ranked in the top 15 or top 25 even. fit, philosophy, character, academics, etc. all of those are more important than having 4 or 5 stars next to the kids name. Also, like he pointed out, look at the past class rankings and star value of the guys Oregon got and the wins and losses on the field, the number of kids who have went on to the NFL and the number of kids who have failed to qualify, 0 out of the last 135. Oregon filled the areas of need and got high character kids with leadership qualities and the coaches told the kids like it is and the kids that couldn't handle what they were told, the competition left and those that are mature enough stuck with their commitment. Also, when is the last time you saw Oregon pull a scholarship or ask a kid to grayshirt? Oregon is doing it the right way, they are sticking to their commitment to the kids. You can't say the same for Saban, Harbaugh, Meyer, etc.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

The flip side of this was also interesting. He wants kids to be straightforward about their commitments. If they are visiting other schools, they aren't committed. If they say they actually are committed, then they are wasting other schools' money and time. He is asking them to be grown-up about their decision, and thereby weeding out some of the weak-character kids before they ever get to Oregon. While this may lead to not getting some of the star players, it also makes a more respectable program. I like it.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think it all comes down to Helf being a no-drama guy. Doesn't like managing personalities all that much (aka: babying). There are upsides and downsides to that preference.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

There's an article up on 247 that discusses some dirt on what went on behind the scenes in recruiting. From what I could gather from some of the posts I could read, the staff had some conflicting recruiting priorities that resulted in some very interested kids being turned away in favor of some more longshot type guys they eventually missed on. The staff broke on the lines of recruiting for overall class balance or targeting only a few positions, with targeting only specific groups winning out. It sounds as if the coaching staff really became fractured once Frost left and even more so after the Alamo Bowl and when Chinander left, which made the recruiting issues/philosophies even more pronounced. It seems the real losers/victims of this divide were Campbell and Neal, who knew they had some potential defections and wanted to go after some newer guys, but Helf and Pellum thought they were worrying too much and wanted to focus on filling out the LB position. I'm not sure if I'm getting the most accurate of conclusions from the limited posts I could read but if it is, it makes you wonder if Helfrich was/is a bit in over his head and the lack of direction is symbolic of his management style.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

There are times when Helfrich looks completely lost, almost with a deer-in-the-headlights look on his face, so it's possible there are moments in recruiting battles, just like in tight game situations, where he is just flailing about. Perhaps that's just a sign of him needing more time in the trenches but it also seems to be a reason why he is somewhat swayed by more dominating personalities. Hoke will be a strong boon to the defense but how would someone with his stature compete in the recruiting debates against someone like Campbell and Neal? I hope it's just speculation but I'm sure there's some merit to it. Thanks for sharing your insight and opinion on the matter, green!
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

greenyellow wrote:There's an article up on 247 that discusses some dirt on what went on behind the scenes in recruiting. From what I could gather from some of the posts I could read, the staff had some conflicting recruiting priorities that resulted in some very interested kids being turned away in favor of some more longshot type guys they eventually missed on. The staff broke on the lines of recruiting for overall class balance or targeting only a few positions, with targeting only specific groups winning out. It sounds as if the coaching staff really became fractured once Frost left and even more so after the Alamo Bowl and when Chinander left, which made the recruiting issues/philosophies even more pronounced. It seems the real losers/victims of this divide were Campbell and Neal, who knew they had some potential defections and wanted to go after some newer guys, but Helf and Pellum thought they were worrying too much and wanted to focus on filling out the LB position. I'm not sure if I'm getting the most accurate of conclusions from the limited posts I could read but if it is, it makes you wonder if Helfrich was/is a bit in over his head and the lack of direction is symbolic of his management style.
The thing that is of some concern on the defensive side of the ball is that every coach is 50+ yrs old. Who is going to be the guy that identifies with a 17-18 yr old and culturally bond? Hoke has a good rep but there needs to be that younger guy that can relate and recruit. I would not be surprised if Pellum does retire and a younger more dynamic personality is brought in as a replacement and rainmaker.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

rentdodger1 wrote:Who is going to be the guy that identifies with a 17-18 yr old and culturally bond?
You mean like Nick Saban (age 64) and Urban Meyer (51)? Perhaps John Calipari (56)? haha

I wouldn't fret too much over ages, except in the possibility that there is a lot of staff turnover in a short amount of time due to retirement. I think the team has recently missed having firey coaches (Aliotti and Azz) more than missed having youthful coaches, but that's my personal opinion.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

StevensTechU wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:Who is going to be the guy that identifies with a 17-18 yr old and culturally bond?
You mean like Nick Saban (age 64) and Urban Meyer (51)? Perhaps John Calipari (56)? haha

I wouldn't fret too much over ages, except in the possibility that there is a lot of staff turnover in a short amount of time due to retirement. I think the team has recently missed having firey coaches (Aliotti and Azz) more than missed having youthful coaches, but that's my personal opinion.
I highly doubt that Saban and Meyer are first line recruiters in their programs, they are there to close the deal. Calipari is BB coach, not managing/recruiting a team of over 100 players. The position guys and coordinators are the first line contacts and recruiters that initially hit the road, not head coaches. I do agree with you on the intensity lacking. Hoke is by all accounts pretty intense and having another energetic younger rainmaker on the D side might help the balance.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

greenyellow wrote:There's an article up on 247 that discusses some dirt on what went on behind the scenes in recruiting. From what I could gather from some of the posts I could read, the staff had some conflicting recruiting priorities that resulted in some very interested kids being turned away in favor of some more longshot type guys they eventually missed on. The staff broke on the lines of recruiting for overall class balance or targeting only a few positions, with targeting only specific groups winning out. It sounds as if the coaching staff really became fractured once Frost left and even more so after the Alamo Bowl and when Chinander left, which made the recruiting issues/philosophies even more pronounced. It seems the real losers/victims of this divide were Campbell and Neal, who knew they had some potential defections and wanted to go after some newer guys, but Helf and Pellum thought they were worrying too much and wanted to focus on filling out the LB position. I'm not sure if I'm getting the most accurate of conclusions from the limited posts I could read but if it is, it makes you wonder if Helfrich was/is a bit in over his head and the lack of direction is symbolic of his management style.
Yikes, that is not encouraging. I think the most worrisome part is Helf taking the side of Pellum, who was entirely incompetent in every capacity since his promotion, and opposing the two most successful position coaches on the team. Who were, of course, right and if their advice had been heeded we very likely would have salvaged the class much more successfully.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Helf did not want to promote Pellum in the first place. He was ADVISED (read between the lines) to do so. He did it with conditions. One of those being that Pellum would be on a very short leash. The situation has now been fixed, at least we hope so.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Not totally consistent, because Campbell does it too, with great success, but if Pellum rolled into my living room with one of his pimp suits on, that'd be a deal killer for me. Eyes roll... I can't imagine my pop's take. He's old school. Played O/D line for Cal in the Rose Bowl back in the day. I think a position coach might be able to get away with it today, but not the head guy. Way over the top in my view. "Why are you wearing that?...serious question coach, really, why?"