Does any of the 2016 class get playing time next season?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Does any of the 2016 class get playing time next season?

Post by Alan »

After watching the highlight video of the 2016 class that TK1 posted I was pretty impressed with a couple of the incoming freshmen. Wallace has speed and talent, and a really liked an O lineman I watched, I can't recall his name so I'll watch the video again and get his name, but he was the monster with all the pancake blocks. So does anyone else seeing any LOI's getting playing time on the field not including special team........ And not including Prukop.

Easy enough first man up in the video, Bathke.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Does any of the 2016 class get playing time next season?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

The fact Hoke wanted Kirby so desperately, makes me think he could make a splash right away. Although there's not a huge need at TE/WR, both Mitchell and Wallace have the tools to play early. If Merrit played as a freshman last year, I'd be shocked if Mitchell didn't play this year. He's way too talented not to play.

I could see Bathke or Capra playing early too, but don't forget we have like 5 redshirt freshmen OL on our roster. I think Hanson, Aiello, and maybe even Throckmorton/Okun see the field. Also Bathke I believe won't be here until the summer, so he'll have a tall order to overcome a year of experience for 5 guys, and Capra who is here now.

I'm gonna say one of our freshman LBs/DEs play this year. IDK who. I'll say Franklin or Kampmoyer just because they are here now.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Idk about Kampmoyer, I'd say Simms plays though. Honestly I won't be surprised if Kampmoyer never makes an impact other than special teams. I also won't be surprised to see Hotchkins become a starter at some point next year.

So I'd say Simms, Wallace, AJ, and Michell. Maybe Young who I think will end up being terrific.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of the two qb's get some meaningful playing time. If Jonson is healthy and has progressed, then maybe not, but if one of the freshmen takes the backup qb slot, then we'll see him at some point next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

AJ starts and makes a huge impact from the get go.
Return Of the Quack!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think that Prukop fellow will challenge for playing time. ...

Hotchkins is going to be needed, so he'll play, and hopefully is good enough to start.
Mitchell seems likely to play, but Ofodile is coming off his redshirt and Jalen Brown is due for a bigger role, so he's going to have to really earn it.
I could see McCormick get some run at tight end if he can get there physically because he and Jacob Breeland will be the only scholarship TEs back the next year.
I could see Briscoe being a special teams beast who sees the field.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

StevensTechU wrote:I think that Prukop fellow will challenge for playing time. ...

Hotchkins is going to be needed, so he'll play, and hopefully is good enough to start.
Mitchell seems likely to play, but Ofodile is coming off his redshirt and Jalen Brown is due for a bigger role, so he's going to have to really earn it.
I could see McCormick get some run at tight end if he can get there physically because he and Jacob Breeland will be the only scholarship TEs back the next year.
Aren't we expecting Pharaoh back next year? Also, Bayliss will be back.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

All our TE are back.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

wlduck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I think that Prukop fellow will challenge for playing time. ...

Talking about the following year. Mundt, Brown, and Baylis all graduate next year, leaving just Breeland and McCormick.
AnnieDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by AnnieDuck »

wlduck wrote:

Anyone know how Pharaoh is doing? I really hope he can play, but that was a terrible injury he had.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

AnnieDuck wrote:
wlduck wrote:

Anyone know how Pharaoh is doing? I really hope he can play, but that was a terrible injury he had.
The following is from recent article on conditioning...

The team broke into eight small groups, and rotated between drill stations overseen by coaches. Prukop did shuttle runs with a defensive back, and more than held his own. He began to tire some 45 minutes in, but gathered himself when Helfrich led the team through the up-down drill.

With the team divided into two groups – those above 245 pounds, and those below – Helfrich blew his whistle in successive bursts, players dropping to the turf for an up-down on each one. Tight end Pharaoh Brown outlasted last year’s winner among the big guys, T.J. Daniel. Prukop was among the final five under 245 pounds, before being too slow to rise from the turf between whistles; running back Lane Roseberry outlasted two-sport star Devon Allen to be last man standing.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =210685477
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

maxduck wrote:
AnnieDuck wrote:
wlduck wrote:

The following is from recent article on conditioning...

The team broke into eight small groups, and rotated between drill stations overseen by coaches. Prukop did shuttle runs with a defensive back, and more than held his own. He began to tire some 45 minutes in, but gathered himself when Helfrich led the team through the up-down drill.

With the team divided into two groups – those above 245 pounds, and those below – Helfrich blew his whistle in successive bursts, players dropping to the turf for an up-down on each one. Tight end Pharaoh Brown outlasted last year’s winner among the big guys, T.J. Daniel. Prukop was among the final five under 245 pounds, before being too slow to rise from the turf between whistles; running back Lane Roseberry outlasted two-sport star Devon Allen to be last man standing.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =210685477
It was great to see that nugget in there. It's great to see his conditioning is so good. While it doesn't mean he's ready to make cuts at 100% speed, it does suggest he's at least well on his way. Fingers crossed he makes it all the way back. That's a lot of dedication right there.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Really looking to seeing Prukop to Pharoah/Carrington this year. If Pharaoh recovers fully, he's 1st round talent.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

StevensTechU wrote:Really looking to seeing Prukop to Pharoah/Carrington this year. If Pharaoh recovers fully, he's 1st round talent.
Brown is a special talent. Watch the 2014 UCLA tape where he was just abusing Myles Jack in every facet of the game.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duck24 wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Really looking to seeing Prukop to Pharoah/Carrington this year. If Pharaoh recovers fully, he's 1st round talent.
Brown is a special talent. Watch the 2014 UCLA tape where he was just abusing Myles Jack in every facet of the game.
He did the same to Shaq Thompson. That's two first round athletic OLBs right there.