Is Hoke a one and done guy?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Is Hoke a one and done guy?

Post by Alan »

Let me start by stating I really dislike Canzano, he's nothing more than a shock jock that likes to create his own stories. That being said I hope this thread doesn't get lost on him. He had Hoke on yesterday and in the interview Hoke stated he was still living in a hotel, his hire was announced on January 16th, four months in a hotel. His home in Michigan has sold, I don't know if he owns one now. After the interview Canzano said the reason he's in a hotel now is he's gone after this year, a one year stint. He'll actively look for another head coaching gig. I can see him gone after two good years here, but his salary structure is another thing that makes me wonder, low this year with big bump ups in following years. Where's his wife living?

Any thoughts on Hoke? Most of us already know most of us hate Canzano.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Is Hoke a one and done guy?

Post by duckfan22 »

whos to know....he could be gone after one year or he could stay 10 years.. He could be having a house built.
Nothing is secure in college football coaching.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

One and done sure won't be good for recruiting.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:One and done sure won't be good for recruiting.
Every 'elite' program and virtually the entire SEC has high turnover and still sit atop recruiting rankings every year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Didn't he mention that he prefers to be a DC and doesn't want to be a head coach? I'd imagine that gives us better odds of keeping him longer. but then again, I know some schools throw the big bucks for even their top coordinators.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:Didn't he mention that he prefers to be a DC and doesn't want to be a head coach?
I've read/listened to just about everything, and I don't think that's the case. He just missed out on the East Carolina* HC position before ending up at Oregon, so it appears to be in his view. But it's worth saying, if the Oregon DC job launches him back into contention for a quality head coaching gig, that would imply that he did a really good job with our defense this year, so it could be worthwhile just to get momentum going back in the right direction for that side of the ball.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It's not uncommon for coaches new to a place to not settle down right away. My biggest gripe in a one and done scenario is who gets brought in from outside to replace him. No way could you make an internal move again if he leaves.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

we havent even played a game and were worried about a coach leaving...You cant predict the
future in college sports. Alabama loses Kirby Smart they still have the no 1 recruiting class.
Most of these kids will stick with there school of choice because to most its the school not the coach.
Could be also the head coach or a friend on the team or mom and dad have a say. Some do change directions
because of a coach had moved on.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

StevensTechU wrote:
Alan wrote:One and done sure won't be good for recruiting.
Every 'elite' program and virtually the entire SEC has high turnover and still sit atop recruiting rankings every year.
Sage.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

If he's one and done, that means our D would end up being awesome this year.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

This feels like much ado about nothing. People are reading way too much into the journalist I will not name spouting innuendo about program he knows nothing about. Hoke has been in Eugene three months and hit the road recruiting the day he was hired. People are worried he hasn't found a place to live yet? To me that says he's focused on the task at hand which is recruiting, leaning about his players/staff and prepping for next year. And was anyone expecting him to be a long term DC? You don't go from head coach at Michigan to DC at another school without looking for redemption. Give us two years of solid defense and recruiting and I'll be happy with the hire.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duck24 wrote:This feels like much ado about nothing. People are reading way too much into the journalist I will not name spouting innuendo about program he knows nothing about. Hoke has been in Eugene three months and hit the road recruiting the day he was hired. People are worried he hasn't found a place to live yet? To me that says he's focused on the task at hand which is recruiting, leaning about his players/staff and prepping for next year. And was anyone expecting him to be a long term DC? You don't go from head coach at Michigan to DC at another school without looking for redemption. Give us two years of solid defense and recruiting and I'll be happy with the hire.

How often does HC like this ever get another big job? Very rarely, it's much more likely he never gets a big time job again. Unless he's happy being the HC at Wyoming, or some other school like that, I don't see he leaving. He's already 57, and would be 58 at a minimum, and he couldn't win at Michigan. No power 5 school is going to have him at the top of there list, unless our d finishes in the top 10.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Not Hoke's fault. Every house his realtor shows him has a doorbell, and we all know Hoke don't do technology. ;)