SB Nation story about Hoke's defense

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

SB Nation has a good article about the defense he's trying to implement at Oregon. It sounds very much like the type of defense Oregon had under Aliotti during Chip's tenure that for whatever reason, fell out of favor with Helfrich and Pellum.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-footbal ... ks-defense
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Thinking it fell more out of favor with Pellum than Helfrich given where we are today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: SB Nation story about Hoke's defense

Post by QuackininBama »

Without reading it, please please please tell me its not another, "Bend don't break" defense. Why can't we just play normal defense like everyone else? Seems to work for Alabama.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

QuackininBama wrote:Without reading it, please please please tell me its not another, "Bend don't break" defense. Why can't we just play normal defense like everyone else? Seems to work for Alabama.
Hoke is a big fan of the 4-3 under defense, aggressive single-gap DL play and aggressively pressuring the offense with eight-man fronts and heavy blitzing

Each is a departure from Oregon's 3-4, though not markedly different from the style under Aliotti before the 3-4 switch.
whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

What I miss was how we were consistently one of the best in turnover margin during Aliotti's years. That said I'm stoked to have Hoke's high pressure, risk taking D in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

"Aliotti years" isn't one thing. The defense pre-Azzinaro and post-Azzinaro were markedly different.

It also helps when you have guys like TJ Ward, Jairus Byrd, Cliff Harris, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Terrance Mitchell, Troy Hill, Eddie Pleasant, Erick Dargan and Patrick Chung on the back end, and hurts when you don't.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:"Aliotti years" isn't one thing. The defense pre-Azzinaro and post-Azzinaro were markedly different.

It also helps when you have guys like TJ Ward, Jairus Byrd, Cliff Harris, Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Terrance Mitchell, Troy Hill, Eddie Pleasant, Erick Dargan and Patrick Chung on the back end, and hurts when you don't.

agree with all you said

Even pre-Azzinaro we had the Gary Patterson mentor'd 4-2 (sucked), then before that the 4-3 that may more closely resembles what Hoke is shooting for.

By the way the top of the NCAA scoring defenses are and have been dominated by teams with above average yards yielded versus points ratios. (Bend dont Break). If you give up a 70 yard TD on a six man rush on 3rd and 12 you are an idiot. (Looking at you Todd Graham).
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:"Aliotti years" isn't one thing. The defense pre-Azzinaro and post-Azzinaro were markedly different.

I've heard Azz was the reason our d got so much better through those years. In fact I got a chance to meet one of our coaches who said he was the smartest coach he ever worked with.