Spring Game Highlights

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Spring Game Highlights

Post by pezsez1 »

Took advantage of a beautiful morning at Timberline to get in some spring skiing... and I was surprised and disappointed to not find a thread with highlights and reactions to today's scrimmage!

What were the high points? Did anyone get hurt? Does the "D" look better" Is the sky falling, or will we be OK?
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Re: Spring Game Highlights

Post by Duck24 »

Dillon Mitchell is going to be special.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

-Prukop looked very good, made very few mistakes. Showed some athleticism too.

-Travis Jonsen had some good moments and a few mistakes, but I came away moderately impressed overall. Terry Wilson looked pretty raw and made some bad throws, and it looked like he was a major step behind Jonsen for the backup spot.

-Dillon Mitchell dropped his first target when he was wide open and also inexplicably missed a block that would've gotten Kani Benoit into the endzone near the end of a long run... but other than that, he was definitely the star of the day. He had some great grabs (including the highlight of the game when he beat out Ugo Amadi for a jump ball in the endzone), got himself open a bunch, and was also used on some fly sweep stuff. Definitely think he could see the field this year, and like Duck24 said, I think he's gonna be a star when all is said and done.

-On the running back front, we didn't see much of Royce Freeman, I think because he's a known commodity, and Taj Griffin was out. Tony Brooks-James looked good. Kani Benoit probably looked the best of any back, and it made me feel bad for him that we're so stacked in the backfield because he's legit. He could be a great second-option back for a good team, but we're just so loaded so he only gets a few carries. Still, I think he'll definitely get important touches this year.

-Pharaoh Brown had a few nice catches and looked very solid. It was great to see him back.

-The centers snapped the ball well, which shouldn't deserve a bullet point but in the wake of the Alamo Bowl it gets one. Zach Okun did have a couple of false starts as the center though.

I can't really say too much about defense, didn't watch them closely enough. I came away impressed by Maloata on the D-line though, and Canton Kaumutele definitely LOOKS like a stud. Hopefully other people have more observations about the defense. They did seem to be a bit better than the offense, though that's to be expected with such young quarterbacks.

Oh, and attendance was estimated at 35,000. And I sat next to some Chinese exchange students and it was pretty fun watching them take in the game. They were all decked out in gear and pretty into it. That was kinda cool.
thegb2001
Three Star Recruit

Post by thegb2001 »

Go ducks!
Doesn't look like prukop is gonna start. He look tentative. All checked it down. Was not impressive at all for a senior qb. Got lucky on his two tds that he just threw up.
Jonsen looks like qb of the future. Had couple mistakes. But was confident. Really good throws and strong as a freshman. He looks like the future of our team.
Run game great as usual. Too many drops by wr and te. But we're deep there. Defense looked aggressive and blitzed. Excited for the season. Looks like we'll be good again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Doesn't look like prukop is gonna start. He look tentative. All checked it down. Was not impressive at all for a senior qb. Got lucky on his two tds that he just threw up.
Jonsen looks like qb of the future. Had couple mistakes. But was confident. Really good throws and strong as a freshman. He looks like the future of our team.
We're going to have a lot of fun on the forum this fall. :)
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Jonsen looked better to me too. He made some mistakes, but overall he seemed more confident and aggressive. Prukop never seemed to find his game. Sure he got two TD's but those were amazing catches by Dillon Mitchell, and one of them featured an obvious offensive PI that wasn't called. Obviously things can change, and we still have the fall, but I personally thought Jonsen was better and I'm expecting him to start. He had the best pass of the game, but Mundt dropped it, very good pass from Jonsen. However Prukop did have both Lockie and Alli as WR's on his team while Jonsen had Carrington and Brown, so I do believe Jonsen had the better WR's despite the drops.

Couldn't really tell much about the defense, seemed like they're better, pursued the ball better and were tougher on the line of scrimmage. No way to tell though.

I'm guessing it was because of the student coaches, but the playcalling was...interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Kinda wish we would have just gotten a clean look at each QB with the rest of the 1's around them, felt like Prukop consistently had someone in his face about a step earlier than Jonsen did, but I do agree that even absent that, overall Jonsen looked more comfortable than Prukop out there... Both player's downfield vision and passing acumen are definitely a huge step back from what we've been used to over the past few years, but that could get better. Mitchell definitely bailed out Prukop on those two TD's.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Watching now. Agree. Jensen looks better.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'd also point out Jonsen had far more time than Prukop had, hence the check downs. But when he had time, he made some good throws. At this point, IMO he's the starter with TJ taking a year to learn how not to kill drives in the RZ. Jonsen also arguabley had the better WR and TE to throw to, while DP had Mitchell and then Alie.

I'd love to see an apples to apples comparison, but we as fans will never get that chance. Also heard a rumor that DP has injured ribs.

DP 20-29 190 2TD and 0 int

TJ 15-24 188 1TD and 1 int.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

My 3 biggest surprises I see going into next year will be Dye ( who's put on 20lbs just since getting to Eugene), Briscoe and George.
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Quietduck »

What I took away is that the centers managed to get the ball back to our quarterbacks. I know we all blamed the defense and the QB.s for our last loss but for me it fell on the center for failing to give anyone any chance.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Watching more of the game now... and I'm starting to second-guess my earlier statement about Jonsen being better.

Jonsen really should have thrown two picks... both on throws toward the goal line, but one in the second half was dropped. Also, his first second half TD throw -- while definitely a nice pass -- would have been a sack. Seemed like Jonsen was sacked more often than DP through the course of the game.

Prukop didn't look as aggressive, but he also looked incredibly relaxed. His throws were generally on target. He didn't seem to hold onto the ball too long, which Jonsen did a few times. He also didn't throw any picks, and from what I've seen so far, he hasn't made any dangerous throws, either.

That said, Jonsen is clearly our future. Just not sure if this will be the year he takes over.

EDIT: Just saw that second highlight catch by Mitchell. WOW! That was Prukop's most dangerous throw of the day, but he did put it in a place where his receiver could make a play on it.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Jonsen has one more on a screen that should have been a pick six, but Briscoe drops it. He read that perfect, kid really impressed me with his physicality, he read plays well and had a sack.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

this QB battle is a battle of potential greatness vs guaranteed above average play. TJ made 2-4 great throws today that Prukop didn't even think about attempting, but he also had 2-3 of the worst throws of the day as well.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

this QB battle is a battle of potential greatness vs guaranteed above average play. TJ made 2-4 great throws today that Prukop didn't even think about attempting, but he also had 2-3 of the worst throws of the day as well.
Truth.

It's going to be an interesting fall camp! I feel great about our QB situation though. And it's evident how much Jonsen has worked on his game despite being sidelined for a year.