All Pac-12

Re: Spring Game Highlights

Post by Phenom »

He looked like a walk on IMO.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I was at the game and I didn't see the highlights until now. Prukop's long TD passes to Mitchell weren't actually that bad. He put them up there so the kid could make a play and did he ever!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2inQX1TodJQ
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

I hope I'm wrong but Prukop reminded me a lot of Costa. Looks ok in practice but I have a hard time believing he'll translate into above average play?
BOOF it!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The problem I have with judging both QBs is that we don't know how they are when they have a full complement of starters or near-starters. I think a big reason why Jonsen looked better than Prukop was he had 3 likely OL starters, Carrington, Merritt and Brown at his disposal while Prukop had maybe 2 OL starters, Nelson for one quarter to a half, Freeman for maybe 2 drives and an emerging, yet raw weapon in Mitchell. For as little time as he had practicing and learning the playbook/system verbiage, I'd say Prukop did just fine.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

greenyellow wrote:The problem I have with judging both QBs is that we don't know how they are when they have a full complement of starters or near-starters. I think a big reason why Jonsen looked better than Prukop was he had 3 likely OL starters, Carrington, Merritt and Brown at his disposal while Prukop had maybe 2 OL starters, Nelson for one quarter to a half, Freeman for maybe 2 drives and an emerging, yet raw weapon in Mitchell. For as little time as he had practicing and learning the playbook/system verbiage, I'd say Prukop did just fine.
i watched Tj makes 3-5 throws in tight windows that were right on the money. They were big time throws that were impressive regardless of who was on the field with him. I didn't see Prukop makes one of those - his best throws were 50/50 balls caught by DM.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I don't think Prukop had much confidence in any of his receivers besides Nelson and Mitchell to make throws like that. Also, he wasn't exactly getting the time in the pocket or playcalls to exactly make those throws either.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

mdm0302 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:The problem I have with judging both QBs is that we don't know how they are when they have a full complement of starters or near-starters. I think a big reason why Jonsen looked better than Prukop was he had 3 likely OL starters, Carrington, Merritt and Brown at his disposal while Prukop had maybe 2 OL starters, Nelson for one quarter to a half, Freeman for maybe 2 drives and an emerging, yet raw weapon in Mitchell. For as little time as he had practicing and learning the playbook/system verbiage, I'd say Prukop did just fine.
i watched Tj makes 3-5 throws in tight windows that were right on the money. They were big time throws that were impressive regardless of who was on the field with him. I didn't see Prukop makes one of those - his best throws were 50/50 balls caught by DM.
It's hard to make those throws when your WR's are Allie and Lockie. Not exactly polished receivers running good routes giving him the opportunity to throw those passes .
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I was really hoping to see Jacob Breeland (rFr tight end) in the spring game. Anybody notice if he got on the field? Roah, Mundt, and Baylis will all graduate this year, leaving Oregon to Jacob Breeland, walk-ons Ryan Bray and Taylor Stinson, and probably a JUCO (they're currently scouting two). John Neal said in an interview last year that Breeland was about as good a pass-catching tight end as he's seen in Eugene, which is some high praise.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

StevensTechU wrote:I was really hoping to see Jacob Breeland (rFr tight end) in the spring game. Anybody notice if he got on the field? Roah, Mundt, and Baylis will all graduate this year, leaving Oregon to Jacob Breeland, walk-ons Ryan Bray and Taylor Stinson, and probably a JUCO (they're currently scouting two). John Neal said in an interview last year that Breeland was about as good a pass-catching tight end as he's seen in Eugene, which is some high praise.
Wow that's gonna hurt. I always thought Baylis was a year behind Mundt.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

You are forgetting Cam McCormick
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Bighonkingduck wrote:You are forgetting Cam McCormick
That's true. I was thinking he'd be redshirting but that'll be a year in the past.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

maxduck wrote:Take a look at receivers on the Mighty Oregon roster. J Brown and D Stanford didn't play and Charles Nelson sat after the first quarter. Prukop had a very talented but true freshman Mitchell, a converted QB,a converted safety, and a walk on at the WR position for most of the game. His top targets each had 14 practices as a college receiver, is it any wonder he looked a bit tentative?
It's a good point. I think how VA was pretty special for being able to hit the ground running. Prukop probably just needs more time with his receivers. This was probably the least satisfying spring game in like 5+ years for me. No one stood out a bunch, and the QB play just left me more anxious.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13