Spring Game Highlights

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Spring Game Highlights

Post by Duck24 »

I wasn't particularly impressed with Prukop today although it's tough to get a read on it when you have a split squad like that. It seemed like he had way less time to throw than Jonsen which might be why I wasn't particularly impressed. In addition to that, he has had what, 15 practices with this team? I believe as he gets more time in the system he will only get better and better.

If anything, I feel much more comfortable with the QB situation moving forward because Jonsen looks like he can be a very solid QB in the Oregon offense. He did make a couple of terrible throws as was said above but his ball seemed to have good zip on it and he looked comfortable both in the pocket and on the move. Wouldn't mind seeing him pack on another 15-20 pounds as he looks skinny but I believe he has a solid future as QB on this team.

On another note, how ridiculous is the RB depth on this team? Benoit or TBJ will be a 4th string RB. That's an embarrassing of riches.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

The only thing that is clear is there is going to be a significant drop-off in the passing game this season. I was excited about Prukop when we landed him, but the lukewarm comments from players and coaches regarding his performance in camp tempered my expectations greatly. It is reminiscent to what was said about Lockie in camp last season....nobody is going to say anything outright negative, but if you read between the lines Prukop hasn't impressed anyone. I can see why based on watching him in the Spring Game....he looks like a statue out there in the pocket. I do expect the Oregon quarterbacks to have more rushing yards this season, which will make up for some of the decline in the passing game, but I'm afraid there are going to be more than a few games this season where we are wishing Vernon was still around.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

pezsez1 wrote:
this QB battle is a battle of potential greatness vs guaranteed above average play. TJ made 2-4 great throws today that Prukop didn't even think about attempting, but he also had 2-3 of the worst throws of the day as well.
Truth.

It's going to be an interesting fall camp! I feel great about our QB situation though. And it's evident how much Jonsen has worked on his game despite being sidelined for a year.
yea man I'm stoked about the depth this year too. Terry Wilson looks more promising that most of the previous true freshman we have brought in in the recent past - he plays with a lot of confidence.
cmmadness
Three Star Recruit

Post by cmmadness »

Interesting how first impressions can differ a bit. I thought Prukop looked relaxed in the pocket
and was largely accurate in many of his mid-range throws. He also made some nice passes that
should have been caught but were flat out dropped.

Jonsen threw several ill-advised passes, one resulting in an interception and two additional that could or should have been.
Unfortunately the flag football nature of the spring game makes it more difficult to judge in terms of the read option.

Jonsen is really fast, and when he kept the ball he looked impressive. Prukop seems like he would be more difficult to bring down.

A few other thoughts: TBJ and Benoit looked really good, and----Holy Crap-----Mitchell is impressive. Great to see Pharoah reel in
a few passes; got a huge reaction from the crowd.

Beautiful in Eugene today. Glad I made the trip, and a far better outcome than my last visit----the WSU debacle.
ducksvb6
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducksvb6 »

I shot about 2000 photos from the stands. In reviewing those I consistently notice Hansen ge tting down field quickly and blocking or obstructing linebackers and safeties. This kid may be the next Grasu.

On check downs Prukop threw several short balls and that allowed the defense to recover. I am concerned that he has no footwork. I watch the QBs warm up when they go through there footwork drills. Dustin Haines had the fast feet of any QB I've seen. Prukop the slowest and no bounce. The experts can better judge that observations.

Beniot was a beast.

Carrington dropped a couple of balls but the photos confirm they were out of reach except for the ball when McGraw blasted him on the sidelines.

One interesting shot caught the Webfoot OLine pancaking the DLine. The only D lineman not on the ground was off balance. The Webfoot line provided Jonson with a halo on most pass plays.

Seisay tackling was excellent but he should avoid big lineman when they have he ball. He got the tackle but took a brutal forearm.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

Anyone know where I can watch a replay of the game?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'm about to re-watch, but my overall impression was that Prukop will put Oregon in a better position to win in 2016 and Jonsen looks like a guy who could be a really good 3 year starter beginning in '17 if he keeps getting better and making smarter decisions. Also, Wilson didn't look great, but I wouldn't hesitate to say he looked better than Travis Jonsen last year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Doesn't look like prukop is gonna start. He look tentative. All checked it down. Was not impressive at all for a senior qb. Got lucky on his two tds that he just threw up.
Jonsen looks like qb of the future. Had couple mistakes. But was confident. Really good throws and strong as a freshman. He looks like the future of our team.
We're going to have a lot of fun on the forum this fall. :)
I can get both arguments from watching just the spring game. Sure he was methodical and didn't make many mistakes. But then again, that reminds me of Lockie's spring game appearances. He probably has a better arm and can move in the pocket better, but there's a lot left to be desired from just one spring game appearance. So for me personally, I feel like there's still quite a bit of unknown going into this season. Perhaps Prukop is the real deal and the spring game was far too little of a sample and too early in his career at Oregon to judge him properly. On the contrary, perhaps we got a taste of reality and Prukop isn't the next VA.

Jonsen does have potential, but you can tell he's still raw.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Take a look at receivers on the Mighty Oregon roster. J Brown and D Stanford didn't play and Charles Nelson sat after the first quarter. Prukop had a very talented but true freshman Mitchell, a converted QB,a converted safety, and a walk on at the WR position for most of the game. His top targets each had 14 practices as a college receiver, is it any wonder he looked a bit tentative?
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Re-watched the game with an eye on the defensive side of the ball and really liked what I saw.

Very vanilla 4-3 base scheme but there were a half dozen OLB/corner blitzes, DE stunts (inside twist) and at least one Mike blitz thrown in. What caught my eye the most was how much pressure the D-line was able to put on the QB by collapsing the pocket. Of course, the lines were a mix and mash of 1s, 2s, and 3s going against each other, not 1s against 1s so you can't read too much into it.

The interior D-line is going to be just fine. Maloata got a couple of sacks and played like a man possessed. Then there's Manu, Baker, and Carlberg with George and Kaumatule behind them. Whatever weaknesses we suffer on defense in this first transitional year to Hoke's 4-3 under, and there will be some, it won't be interior D-line play as a group.

DE group still needs some sorting out methinks. Mondeaux played very well at SDE. Not sure who stood out behind him the most. More than once I looked at the roster numbers to see that both Kurahara and Kampmoyer were in on the play. Rush end seems the most unsettled. A couple of times when I saw J. Jelks - who is a big arse dude - I though I was looking at the SDE, but he, Prevot and Hollins were on WDE. Also saw a lot of Carriger snaps, and with all respect to the young man, I don't know what role he has. Not physically imposing enough and stands way too upright.

Linebacker play was an adventure. Hotckins made a bunch of plays. Then Chuck stiff armed him into the dirt. Reminded me a little of when Paulson stiff armed Cliff in a Spring game a few years back. Mattingley made a couple of tackles and then missed some tackles because the couldn't get off a block or overshot the gap. Whether it's meditation, ritalin, or a good doobie, or something else, Mattingley needs to find that something that brings him to be at inner peace with a single moment in time so that he sees everything and it moves in slow motion for him. Still high (no pun intended) on him though. Saw a really good, fundamental stick only to look at the roster number and see that it was Matt Marioita. Next good tackle was from B. Rugraff. Did you know we've got a guy on the squad named Rugraff? I didn't either. Apelu, McDowell and Bostick made plays. I think it was Bostick that came off the edge unabated and would have trucked the QB into next week.

Corner and safety play was difficult to observe on account of the television camera focus point. Though it was awesome to see our safeties positioned within 10-15 yards of the LOS. Hard to see who covered well or if there were coverage busts, but saw lots of aggressive tackles. Not a lot of what Fishduck described as the 'chicken wing' tackle.

Gotta run. I'll come back to edit the grammer and splelling errors later.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Bostic, Dye and Hotchins and 55 all stood out to me at LB the most. On top of about ripping Travis head off, Bostoc also played some pretty good pass D and should have had a pick 6.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Bostic, Dye and Hotchins and 55 all stood out to me at LB the most. On top of about ripping Travis head off, Bostoc also played some pretty good pass D and should have had a pick 6.
If im not mistaken AJ is number 55. So maybe thats a good thing lol.
Return Of the Quack!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Kimber45 wrote:Next good tackle was from B. Rugraff. Did you know we've got a guy on the squad named Rugraff? I didn't either.
Really great observations. Thanks for posting.

Re: Rugraff- he's a preferred walk-on that played in one of the lowest divisions in Missouri, where he put up tackling and rushing numbers that could make Dante Rosario (Dayton high school) blush. I watched his Hudl when he joined, and could see him being a kid that gets a scholarship eventually. Could say the same for Kaulana Apelu, though it's still questionable whether he has the shear mass to play LB at this level.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Wed May 04, 2016 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Anyone with any insight on Jarrett Lacost? He seemed to play pretty well in the game. That's the first time I had even heard his name on the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

duckduckgoose wrote:Anyone with any insight on Jarrett Lacost? He seemed to play pretty well in the game. That's the first time I had even heard his name on the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think he's been around for a few years, he's a walk on.