Solve the Prukop flat footed mystery

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Solve the Prukop flat footed mystery

Post by GrandpaDuck »

During the spring game, as was widely pointed out Prukop was a statue in the pocket and throwing most everything flat footed. So I looked at his Montana State highlights again and it looked like a completely different player. He moved in the pocket, bounced like Tigger, threw on the run, sometimes didn't plant at all with both feet going into the air.

What's your theory? A reaction to stress and jitters the opposite of the norm?

My theory is the coaches are doing a spring time over-correction on him. To get him more planted and less happy footed than when he came in. Maybe they are drilling him on planting and staying in the pocket and once they have his feet a little less happy, they'll release him to do his thing. I have only a little faith that this is what is actually happening but its better than the other theories I've got, so how about you? Alien body snatchers at work?
maxduck
Senior

Re: Solve the Prukop flat footed mystery

Post by maxduck »

As you profess little confidence in the theory presented why not expand on what you believe are more likely possibilities?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

maxduck wrote:As you profess little confidence in the theory presented why not expand on what you believe are more likely possibilities?
That was my theory I had the most confidence in. I was curious if anyone was in the know, or maybe had a better theory than that. Or even agreed with my "coaches made him do it" one.

He really looked like a different guy than the one in the highlights.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

GrandpaDuck wrote:During the spring game, as was widely pointed out Prukop was a statue in the pocket and throwing most everything flat footed. So I looked at his Montana State highlights again and it looked like a completely different player. He moved in the pocket, bounced like Tigger, threw on the run, sometimes didn't plant at all with both feet going into the air.

My theory is the coaches are doing a spring time over-correction on him. To get him more planted and less happy footed than when he came in. Maybe they are drilling him on planting and staying in the pocket and once they have his feet a little less happy, they'll release him to do his thing. I have only a little faith that this is what is actually happening but its better than the other theories I've got, so how about you? Alien body snatchers at work?
I'm all in on Alien body snatchers!
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

pudgejeff wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:During the spring game, as was widely pointed out Prukop was a statue in the pocket and throwing most everything flat footed. So I looked at his Montana State highlights again and it looked like a completely different player. He moved in the pocket, bounced like Tigger, threw on the run, sometimes didn't plant at all with both feet going into the air.

Word is the real Prukop was kidnapped and replaced with a reptilian clone.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

FlDuckFan wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

I like this train of thought as he might be able to levitate during a big game or if he is a reptile he could break a tackle by just letting his arm fall off.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

FlDuckFan wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

Does this mean we can call him Snake?
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:

I like this train of thought as he might be able to levitate during a big game or if he is a reptile he could break a tackle by just letting his arm fall off.
Hopefully not his throwing arm!
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I wish I had some explanation. Watching him stand flat footed in the pocket like that was surprising and disturbing.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I heard rumor of him having hurt ribs.
vagusnerve
Freshman

Post by vagusnerve »

He's the #1 QB, his objective is to limit errors, and run the team. Making the big play when there's an opportunity.

Sounds like he was banged up too.

Probably a mix of things.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

Its difficult to figure out if he is any good watching this glorified practice. Its like he was not giving it 100% maybe because he knew he wasn't going to get hit? They also didn't call very many run-option plays when he was in, at least the little bit that I watched. Why bother with him if Jenson is better at the run-option? Ducks are a running team right? Right now I'm pretty disturbed with what I saw with Prukop and the O. I think he is a big step down from Adams and I'd rather see Jenson play now and get experience. Can't wait to see Prukop check down to a tight end on 3rd and long. Maybe I'm being to critical over a glorfied pratice/show for the fans, maybe not.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

:( Well it appears it may not have been reptile cloning or alien body snatchers.

Sadly, my boring theory of "coach made him do it" is probably right. From an ESPN article:

The biggest difference for him has been footwork, as Oregon coach Mark Helfrich has quarterbacks synchronize their footwork to the receivers' routes in a different way than Prukop did at Montana State.

But even with a few major adjustments, Prukop was pleased with his spring because it gave him his list of what he would need to focus on during the summer. A few weeks into this offseason, he’s already chipping away at that list. The more he checks off on that list, the better position he puts himself in for fall camp to earn the starting job.

“I can work not only harder, but smarter as well,” Prukop said. “I know what I need to work on in terms of footwork, in terms of which routes I need to work on. ... It’s a great segue into the summer.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... -offseason