Fishduck's all time Ducks top 10.... Do you agree?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Fishduck's all time Ducks top 10.... Do you agree?

Post by GrandpaDuck »

A piss poor list as it doesn't state the criteria for the ranking or as nearly as I can tell the weighting used in what appears to be a mix of multiple not necessarily related performance standards.

This list is now included on my list of "10 of the most idiotic list making attempts I have read this week based solely on my opinion."
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Top 10 no particular order

Shaw
Van Brocklin
Joey
Marcus
Renfro
Zimmerman
Snoop
Bobby Moore
Ngata
Fouts

This is tougher than it looks. Had to leave out a lot of guys, but hey, its just my opinion right now...lol
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

nogerO wrote:Top 10 no particular order

Shaw
Van Brocklin
Joey
Marcus
Renfro
Zimmerman
Snoop
Bobby Moore
Ngata
Fouts

This is tougher than it looks. Had to leave out a lot of guys, but hey, its just my opinion right now...lol
LMJ was better than Snoop at Oregon.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I will make one comment about Fouts... and that is this... When Fouts played... Oregon did not compete with teams on regular basis... It was rare if they had more than 4 wins in a season. This is not fault of his... Oregon did not have the kind of players they have today. The defense.. typically plays better today than it did then... minus the 2 years of Pellum being DC. I think he belongs on the list. I factor all those things into it as well as all he has done for the university since. I respect those that dismiss him as not being one of the best... but for me... I would still put him in the top 10.

In terms of Snoop vs LMJ.... that is a tough one... Snoop... is more of a power runner.... where as LMJ was a fast skat back but could break tackles too. I think they are both great.... not sure I could put one in front of the other... on one day might say Snoop better... on another could say LMJ was better... am truly split on who I think is better. They are both very good for different reasons.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

Phenom wrote:
nogerO wrote:Top 10 no particular order

Shaw
Van Brocklin
Joey
Marcus
Renfro
Zimmerman
Snoop
Bobby Moore
Ngata
Fouts

LMJ was better than Snoop at Oregon.
Hell, Barner was better than Snoop at Oregon. I'm not sure if Snoop is even one of the Top 5 Oregon tailbacks of all time, let alone Top 10 overall players.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

If you put snoop in the same offense as LMJ he might have been the best back in the country. I remeber a Justin Roper lead team in the sun bowl if im not mistaken and snoop carried us. But we also did have the best Oline in the country that year I think.
Return Of the Quack!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duckattack7 wrote:If you put snoop in the same offense as LMJ he might have been the best back in the country. I remeber a Justin Roper lead team in the sun bowl if im not mistaken and snoop carried us. But we also did have the best Oline in the country that year I think.

No, his problem was never the O, it was he can't stay healthy. When healthy he's as talented as almost anyone, but he fans stay healthy for more than a few weeks at a time.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

I guess everyone is entitled to their own criteria, but to me it seems obvious that NFL contributions would be minor considerations compared to what they did in college. Thus LMJ would be higher on my list.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

When LMJ left UO, he was considered the best RB to have ever played here and amongst the best players to EVER play here. I know his pro career soured some people's opinions of him, but personally, I don't care about that. He was amazing with us.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

"Can't catch him!". James has to be on the list of all time greats because he is.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

rockthief wrote:"Can't catch him!". James has to be on the list of all time greats because he is.
not only one of my favorites but he should be on list. He just had that certain it factor.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

it seems that most people who watched bill musgrave play put them in their top 10, and those that came after don't. i may be painting with too broad a brush there, and you may fall out of one of those categories, but in my travels that seems to be the case.

i don't think there's any comparison between lmj and stewart. i love me some j-stew, but the dude suffered from injuries and didn't even break the 1000 yard mark until his junior year. don't give me that "oh, but jeremiah johnson was around" bull. j-stew had trouble hitting his holes and seeing lanes. he was SO MUCH BETTER than his high school competition he came to eugene with things to learn before he could be a great college back. all the credit in the world for him putting in the work and developing into a top-flight pro, but his college career was not one giant highlight reel. lamichael's was. he would have SHATTERED ron dayne's all-time ncca mark if he would have returned for his senior year.

i don't agree with dixon in the top 10. people (not all, or even a majority, but a sizeable group) went into the houston opener that year positive that brady leaf was going to have to be the guy. dixon had an amazing 9-10 games. but i agree with another poster here who said you might as well write in vernon adams for the same thing. had dixon stayed healthy, won himself the heisman, and led us to victory over ohio state in the national championship we would be having a different discussion. alas.
ImageImageImageImageImage
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

The problem with a poll like this is are they looking at skill set or what they did for the school? Did they go on to
a successful pro career? Look Akili Smith below the shoulders was as talented a player ever to play here. However above the
shoulders not so much. He had all the tools to be a great pro player but everyone upstairs checked out. Musgrave was far from
the athelete most QBS at Oregon have been. But football smarts he is as good. LaMike was one of the best running wheel routes that
have been here. Barner and DeAnthony were right there. There are so many ducks that could be on this list. All how you look at it.