Is it we or they?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

soduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Is it we or they?

Post by soduck »

My wife says I always say we won , but they lost, when we lose. I am a third generation Oregon graduate. I played rugby when there, so does that count as it was only a club sport with Newman? Or can I only say we for rugby, what about him and cheering for BBall etc. Stupid argument by Newman, whom I usually agree with. Good discussion topic though, Alan.
pdxmallard
Two Star Recruit

Post by pdxmallard »

It's not an easy answer. It depends on the situation, like whether we are winning or they are losing. :P
coastduck
One Star Recruit

Post by coastduck »

As an alumnus, I will use to term "we" to refer to the school generally, or the athletic program, or the team. I would never use it to refer to a specific group or part of the team, or use it in a way that attempts to take credit or imply involvement other than as a part of the community.

I think anyone with a strong connection to the school or its programs should be able to use the term "we," and to use it proudly. Alumni, students, ticket holders, longtime fans, employees, etc. are all a part of the university in one way or another. The teams are representative of the university.

What does bother me is hearing fans use "we" when the team wins, and "they" when they don't.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

pdxmallard wrote:It's not an easy answer. It depends on the situation, like whether we are winning or they are losing. :P
Outstanding
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I use "they".

Now if we had a Duck Nation concept it would be different. At OSU for example you are invited to be part of Beaver Nation just by being a fan. The football team is part of Beaver Nation like the fans so it is joint ownership and "We" is appropriate.

Like everyone else I bristle at the term Duck Nation, because the Beavers did it first and we have ceded them that. It is regrettable though that we don't have a more inclusive relationship between fan and team, I would love to use "We".
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

I have been a Duck since, well since as long as I can remember! I will say we, us, my, our Ducks any damn time I want and if that offends Mr. Newman, tough $hit. I love my DUCKS!!!

I was watching the Ducks play football at Autzen when he was 2 years old!

Link to Mr. Newman. He was born in Washington for chrissakes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_N ... _football)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

nogerO wrote:I have been a Duck since, well since as long as I can remember! I will say we, us, my, our Ducks any damn time I want and if that offends Mr. Newman, tough $hit. I love my DUCKS!!!

I was watching the Ducks play football at Autzen when he was 2 years old!

Link to Mr. Newman. He was born in Washington for chrissakes!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_N ... _football)

Interesting, I went to my first Duck game as a toddler as well, when Great Grandmaduck took me with her to live in Eugene when she went back to get her Masters.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pdxmallard wrote:It's not an easy answer. It depends on the situation, like whether we are winning or they are losing. :P
:lol:

My dad always chimes in when I say "we are winning" by adding that I didn't do anything, but am merely watching on TV.

If only he knew how much time and money I've put into "we", I've paid my dues, literally.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:We/us implies you play/played on the team IMO. Don't care if fans say it, just my preference. I think my bigger pet peeve would be those who get worked up over semantics like this.
Who's worked up?
Was referring more to guys like Anthony Newman, which started this whole conversation. Nobody on this thread has been worked up at all. Should have qualified that in my original post.
Thanks for the clarification, sorry for the misunderstanding.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Duck24 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:We/us implies you play/played on the team IMO. Don't care if fans say it, just my preference. I think my bigger pet peeve would be those who get worked up over semantics like this.
Who's worked up?
Was referring more to guys like Anthony Newman, which started this whole conversation. Nobody on this thread has been worked up at all. Should have qualified that in my original post.

Screw you Duck24. You don't know me and don't speak for ME!!! I AND ONLY I WILL DECIDE IF I'M WORKED UP!!!