Is it we or they?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Is it we or they?

Post by Alan »

A couple of years ago I was listening to Ducks pregame with Anthony Newman, he went off on a rant about how much it bothered him to hear fans refer to themselves as Ducks. To clearify, using the terms "we, my, us, etc" when talking about the ducks, his main point was the vast majority of fans never played for, touched the field or went to school at Oregon, what gave them the right to think they were part of the team and could use such words as us and we. If I recall correctly he was on his own on that opinion, silence from his co host. It bothered me more than a little and still does to a point and makes me think of how I refer to the Ducks. To add, I never heard another word about it and I listen to almost all the pregame shows, I think he may have got spanked for alienating Duck fans.

Thoughts? And how do you refer to the Ducks? The Ducks or we, my, us, our.... And is it right to use those words. I will admit when I played sports in high school and into college I heard students refer to my team as their team," we're going kick their butt" type of stuff. I remember thinking at the time "we?, I don't see you at practice everyday, missed you on those hot summer days during daily doubles". But now that I'm on the other side of the fence........
rockthief
Senior

Re: Is it we or they?

Post by rockthief »

The Ducks are my Ducks. I am a Duck, a fan, a graduate, the husband of a graduate and a prof. Newman is wrong. Can't imagine what his problem is. Good topic.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

As long as I help fund the athletic department with ticket sales, merchandise, etc. l will continue to say things like "We are going to have a great year." Newman is wrong but I won't criticize him because I don't attack my own. ;)

By the way can you imagine Supwitchigirl singing "I love THE Ducks" instead of "I love MY Ducks"? Doesn't have the same ring to it.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I'll say any damn thing I want. If you call it Duck Nation though you aren't a part of the flock.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'll say any damn thing I want. If you call it Duck Nation though you aren't a part of the flock.
Yep.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

We/us implies you play/played on the team IMO. Don't care if fans say it, just my preference. I think my bigger pet peeve would be those who get worked up over semantics like this.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:We/us implies you play/played on the team IMO. Don't care if fans say it, just my preference. I think my bigger pet peeve would be those who get worked up over semantics like this.
Who's worked up?
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think Newman might be right... but I am as guilty as most in calling them my ducks or saying we are going to kick the huskies butt... I think most sports fans no matter what the school is or what the sport is guilty of saying it. I am not sure Newman was intentionally trying to alienate any fans.. I don't take offense to his point... as I am guilty of it. I will still call them my ducks... I was a season ticket holder for 16 years.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Without fans spending the money there would be no college football. We pay to see the ducks so in a sense they are "our" ducks.
Return Of the Quack!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I say "we" when I'm referring to UofO students/alumni, or the institution. If I'm referring to the football team, the coaching staff, etc., I say "they."

It's weird because I look at professional sports differently. With college, I don't expect a return on my money. I'm giving it and, while I get entertainment in return, I don't expect anything. With the pros, I look at it more like being a shareholder and I have no problem saying "we."
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

been a duck for 50 years.. Time and money invested in rooting for the ducks over the years. I know its not
my team as i am just a spectator. But once and awhile i will say my team or our team. I am a duck fan no matter
how you look at. There just words. Bottom line we as fans love the ducks.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

on an internet message board such as this, i don't see any problem with "we" since everybody knows/understands what's being referenced. if i ever find myself around a group of players, or former players, or a coach or whatever, then i wouldn't say "we" because i'd get a strange look. but on the internet? or around a group of friends? c'mon, anthony newman. no harm there.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I agree with most posters, I will use the words like "we" and "us" when talking about the Ducks. I have been a avid fan for over 20 years and a fan for over 30.... I feel I have earned it. But as some have said I don't feel I have the right or status to use those words around players and coaches....... But hey! I have never been around players or coaches, except for running into one of my favorite TE's in ducks history, I met Josh Wilcox when he was a player walking through a mall in Eugene. That's my complete interaction with Ducks coaches and players through history. So I'm fine with saying "we", "our" and "my." On more of a serious note, I have nothing but respect and admiration for Anthony Newman, followed him in both College and the NFL. While it bothered me when he "scolded" Duck fans during his broadcast for being avid fans and using terminology he didn't approve of, I don't blame him in the least. I completely understand his thoughts and opinion on the matter, I felt the same when I played. I haven't lost one ounce of respect for him and what he has done for "our" program through his life in football.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:We/us implies you play/played on the team IMO. Don't care if fans say it, just my preference. I think my bigger pet peeve would be those who get worked up over semantics like this.
Who's worked up?
Was referring more to guys like Anthony Newman, which started this whole conversation. Nobody on this thread has been worked up at all. Should have qualified that in my original post.
Bud Lee
All Pac-12

Post by Bud Lee »

I always say "they" when talking about the ducks but as you all know my heart lies with another. When I talk about my Tigers I go back and forth I think. I think I mainly say "they" but I use "we" a lot too.