Pac-12 coaches anonymously break down ducks - ESPN Insider

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Pac-12 coaches anonymously break down ducks - ESPN Insider

Post by FlDuckFan »

Anyone have Insider? I'd really like a rundown of the article but can't see myself spending money on an account.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/ins ... -anonymity
thomas time
Senior

Re: Pac-12 coaches anonymously break down ducks - ESPN Insid

Post by thomas time »

Royce Freeman rushed for 1,836 yards during his sophomore campaign, averaging 6.5 yards per carry. Just 12 percent of his 283 runs last season were stopped behind the line of scrimmage, best among the nation's top 10 backs. Coach, can you talk about why Freeman is so hard to stop?

"How do you tackle him? I don't know. It's almost impossible to tackle that guy unless you gang-tackle him because he keeps his legs moving. For as big as he is [5-foot-11, 230 pounds], he's such a patient runner. He lets things develop. He's powerful, but he doesn't just say, 'Hey, I'll lower the boom.' He kind of feels his way in and out of traffic." -- Pac-12 defensive coach

Dakota Prukop has more game experience (22 starts) than any other Oregon QB, but adjusting to coaches is always a wild card. Coach, can you talk about Prukop's learning curve?

"One year in the system is never as good as the third year in the system. Regardless of skill set, regardless of talent level, it's very difficult in a year's time to master an offense." -- Pac-12 defensive coach

Oregon has used Charles Nelson on offense (115 yards rushing, 270 receiving), defense (47 tackles, two INTs) and special teams (33 kick returns). Coach, can you talk about why he's able to impact games?

"What separates him from others is just his physical toughness. It's very rare for a receiver or DB, or whatever you call him, to go out and be their best tackler. He can be extremely physical, but then he's also very good with the ball in his hands." -- Pac-12 offensive coach
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

thomas time wrote: Dakota Prukop has more game experience (22 starts) than any other Oregon QB, but adjusting to coaches is always a wild card. Coach, can you talk about Prukop's learning curve?

"One year in the system is never as good as the third year in the system. Regardless of skill set, regardless of talent level, it's very difficult in a year's time to master an offense." -- Pac-12 defensive coach
That's a fair assessment, but isn't it better to have a QB with 22 starts in a similar system with a TON of offensive talent around him than to have a guy that's never played a single down?

It's almost a given that he'll get better as the season progresses, too. It sounds like that coach just doesn't want to hand out any kudos. I only have 4 things to say to that coach...

Vernon Adams ;)

&

Go Ducks!!! 8-)
John 3:36
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I just hope that Prukop is the last qb transfer for awhile. The other schools in the Pac 12 and around the country are already saying that under Helfrich... can not develop a qb in own system other than Marcus. It is a negative for the university and one need to stay away from. From a kids perspective... why would you choose to come to Oregon... if they cant develop ya into a pro caliber qb. This is what they will be thinking if we continue to go to the graduate transfer route to get a qb. No offense to Prukop or to Adams.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I just hope that Prukop is the last qb transfer for awhile. The other schools in the Pac 12 and around the country are already saying that under Helfrich... can not develop a qb in own system other than Marcus. It is a negative for the university and one need to stay away from. From a kids perspective... why would you choose to come to Oregon... if they cant develop ya into a pro caliber qb. This is what they will be thinking if we continue to go to the graduate transfer route to get a qb. No offense to Prukop or to Adams.

They are always saying something negative, until Marcus is in the Pro Bowl, they'll all continue to say we don't get qbs ready for the NFL either. Whatever, negative recruiting is what it is, not much you can do about it.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

You are right about not being able to do much about the negative recruiting.... but... there are things that Oregon can do to limit the negative recruiting... developing quarterbacks in own system is one of them. 2 yrs in row have gone the transfer route...One year to have to do it is ok... 2 starts to raise hints of a potential problem... 3 yrs... indicates there is a problem in developing them at Oregon.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I'm thinking the problem with developing QB's in Oregon is now gone and in UCF....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I'm thinking the problem with developing QB's in Oregon is now gone and in UCF....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. I remember highly ranked WRs not getting developed either, before the same coach moved to QBs.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Seems like a bunch of softball questions. I don't understand why the need for anonymity. This is just typical coach-speak and compliments.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Seems like a bunch of softball questions. I don't understand why the need for anonymity. This is just typical coach-speak and compliments.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are just taking quotes from normal interviews and labeling them as "anonymous" for extra clicks.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:Seems like a bunch of softball questions. I don't understand why the need for anonymity. This is just typical coach-speak and compliments.
I wouldn't be surprised if they are just taking quotes from normal interviews and labeling them as "anonymous" for extra clicks.
X3 just a bunch of generic answers.