Preaseason Predictions, Reviews & Magazines Are Coming Out

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Preaseason Predictions, Reviews & Magazines Are Coming Out

Post by SuperDuck »

I was just searching Google yesterday and found a few sites that are releasing "post spring" Top-10 and Top-25 polls, as well as conference predictions. Just Google "college football predictions 2016" and you'll find a few.

I saw a few reviews that are high on UW. One had them ranked as high as #10! Of course, there were a few that were high on Stanford, too. Most had the Ducks as #2 or #3 in the North, though another had them in the Rose Bowl vs Michigan.

Phil Steele releases his magazine in two weeks. I enjoy his insight as he's obviously very well informed, but don't always agree with him.

The biggest things that seemed to stand out about what others were saying about Oregon was the 3 new starters on the O-Line. That seemed to be a recurring theme. The talent is certainly there. I just hope Steve Greatwood can find a good combination of guys that mesh well early.

Everyone also thinks that the defense will improve under Hoke, though they're not sure how much. Most of the secondary returns, but they were torched for a lot of yards last year. Also, they lose 6 of their starting front 7 on defense.

Regarding UW and Stanford, I'm in a "wait and see" mode. UW has definitely improved and brought in a lot of talent recently. But are they ready to take the next step? I don't think so, at least not this year.

Most have Stanford winning the North, but these guys lost a LOT of talent from last year, including Kevin Hogan at QB. I think they have 3 returning starters on the O-Line and Christian McCaffrey, though. Once again, "we'll see".
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Preaseason Predictions, Reviews & Magazines Are Coming O

Post by buckmarkduck »

Really? Most I've seen seem to think UW is somehow a great team. Which IMO is crazy. Our RB, WR and TE are all far superior to theirs. I think our OL is just as good as theirs, and Browning isn't near as good as people think he is.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I think the UW hype is a little premature, but I also think they will be a force in a year or two. Peterson knows what he's doing.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I feel like UDub has been hyped nearly every season for the past decade, and they're always a thorough disappointment. I kind of like the hype actually because seeing their dreams die.... mm-mm tasty.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I think the UW hype is a little premature, but I also think they will be a force in a year or two. Peterson knows what he's doing.
Agreed. Petersen is a great coach and is recruiting a lot of talent and building young depth.

One of the review sites predicted that the Pac-12 wouldn't have a single team with 10 wins during the regular season because there's so much parity. Of course, another had Stanford winning 12 games. Lol

I'm ready for some football!!!
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I think the UW hype is a little premature, but I also think they will be a force in a year or two. Peterson knows what he's doing.

Really? He had 4 first rounder's two years ago and won 8 games. I think he's still living off his success vs a bunch of scrubs in the MWC.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Every year, one of Tennessee/washington/Ole Miss/USC has to get overhyped, so it seems this year is washington's turn.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Really? He had 4 first rounder's two years ago and won 8 games. I think he's still living off his success vs a bunch of scrubs in the MWC.
While that's true, I think we see an improvement on their offense. In addition, I'm always the type of person who gives a coach at least 3-4 years to recruit his own guys and establish his culture before solidifying an opinion. But my tentative opinion is Washington is slowly climbing up the ladder, and Oregon has sputtered a little. This is by far the best chance Washington has had in over a decade to really challenge Oregon in the northwest this year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Man, I kind of wish I were still living in Seattle. The preseason "HUSKIES WILL GO TO THE ROSE BOWL THIS YEAR!" hype is going to reach hilariously epic proportions.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Indeed. If the Husky hype is all for naught, as we hope, it will be especially fun for me to live and work in the Seattle area. But if it turns out to be prescient, well, that's another story . . .
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

My guess is it will be much of the same in north... to get the north title you have to grab it from either Stanford or Oregon... they have won the Pac 12 the last how many years? The north goes through one of them... until we see someone else step up to the plate and take it away will still think it is one of those two that wins the north... I know Stanford lost a lot... but so did Oregon. I think Stanford would get my nod just because they hold the edge over us the last 10 years albeit just by a nose.

In the south will go with either USC or UCLA. I know the Trojans continue to disappoint but at some point they will get a coach that gets the spoiled children to stay focused on winning each game... and will figure things out. Year in and year out their first 22 players are some of the best talent in the league. Only a matter of time before they get a coach that will know what he is doing there.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Greenblood wrote:Indeed. If the Husky hype is all for naught, as we hope, it will be especially fun for me to live and work in the Seattle area. But if it turns out to be prescient, well, that's another story . . .
In college, football was just an event that made it socially acceptable to drink 10 beers before 10am. Living in Seattle is what made me get really into the game, because I found myself having to both a) defend my team and b) explain to them that their team sucks/will continue to suck.

No going back there for me.
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

StevensTechU wrote:Every year, one of Tennessee/washington/Ole Miss/USC has to get overhyped, so it seems this year is washington's turn.
Don't forget Notre Dame. There's nothing like living off a name.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

I swear, just about every year for the last 6 years (at least), people say 'oh man, watch out for the Huskies!! This is gonna be their year! They got lots of talent this time around!'

And they underachieve. Every. Single. Time. I have no reason to believe this year will be any different.

Let's see them prove me wrong.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

And they underachieve. Every. Single. Time. I have no reason to believe this year will be any different.
Same with USC, really... only while it's the national media propping up USC, it's just the Seattle media bubble that gets overly hopeful for the Poodles.
Willie Taggart is a dick.