Short interview with Yost

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Short interview with Yost

Post by Greenblood »

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_/id ... david-yost

Nothing necessarily "huge" here, but it's hard for me to read Yost's final answer and not feel like Jonsen has at least a slight edge over Prukop at this point in Coach Yost's mind.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Short interview with Yost

Post by StevensTechU »

I read it as having different expectations of different guys. Since Prukop transferred to start, the expectations put onto him are those of a starter. Jonsen is beating out his expectations and being pat on the head for it, but I'm not sure that means he's going to beat out the 5th year transfer.

Just my 2 cents on how I interpret it.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

StevensTechU wrote:I read it as having different expectations of different guys. Since Prukop transferred to start, the expectations put onto him are those of a starter. Jonsen is beating out his expectations and being pat on the head for it, but I'm not sure that means he's going to beat out the 5th year transfer.

Just my 2 cents on how I interpret it.
Yeah, and that wouldn't surprise me either. And if Yost's comments inspire Prukop to work all the harder this summer, even better.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I'd rather Jonsen start. Lets actually develop a quarterback who will be here for more then one year then we are starting all over again. No more "one and done", and at the most important position on the field.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

QuackininBama wrote:I'd rather Jonsen start. Lets actually develop a quarterback who will be here for more then one year then we are starting all over again. No more "one and done", and at the most important position on the field.
I tend to agree.. Does that mean a couple more losses? maybe. But its
a win today or else era we live in. Fan bases wont wait any more. Look at this past
year 4 losses and it was almost catostrophic, and that was also with a 5th year transfer.
I would rather see Jonsen win the job because of his talents and he does have talent.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

duckfan22 wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:I'd rather Jonsen start. Lets actually develop a quarterback who will be here for more then one year then we are starting all over again. No more "one and done", and at the most important position on the field.
I tend to agree.. Does that mean a couple more losses? maybe. But its
a win today or else era we live in. Fan bases wont wait any more. Look at this past
year 4 losses and it was almost catostrophic, and that was also with a 5th year transfer.
I would rather see Jonsen win the job because of his talents and he does have talent.
While I understand the advantages of having younger talent, I don't get this line of thinking that says it's OK to add some losses in exchange for some nebulous future gain. And that's not a "win today or else" attitude- you haven't seen me on here calling for coaches heads. You play the best player at the position every year. If he's a graduate transfer, so be it. If he's a true freshman, so be it. The coaches job is to acquire talent and then figure out how to use them.

For what it's worth, I tend to believe that Jonsen has a better than 50/50 chance to win the job this year anyway. He is certainly more talented than Prukop, and understands the system better.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am not adequately qualified to say who should or should not start. I do think though as have mentioned in other threads that 2 yrs of going the graduate transfer route needs to stop. Oregon needs to develop their own qb. Oregon has enough disadvantages when it comes to recruiting players... they do not need to add to the disadvantage. It is critical for the program as a whole to develop their own players especially at the most important position on the field. I have nothing against Prukop.. or Adams... but... I would probably be happier if Jonsen won the qb battle this year.