All Pac-12

Re: Best Oregon Runningback

Post by StevensTechU »

College or NFL career?
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

College... There are players like LaMichael James... Kenjon Barner... Jeremiah Johnson... Saladin McCullough who did not have much of a pro career. That does not diminish them being great while at Oregon. I think some will factor in their pro career and that is fine... but to limit it to just pro... would eliminate a lot of them.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

1 player in a national championship game against a formidable defense... Jeremiah Johnson, then Saladin McCullough, then J-Stew.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

As a Duck player, I think you have to give it to LaMike, while Stewart and a couple of others did and are have good pro careers, James was in my opinion the best as a Duck to this point. Interesting topic though, it makes me think about how Freeman will stack up with all the other backs. Thinking back to Stewart at Oregon I remember thinking at the time he didn't like taking the hit and seemed to get banged up more than others..... Not the case now. To note I really enjoyed the J Johnson time he played, may be my second choice without really any deep thought about it. Bobby Moore was even before my time, I never saw him play and I'm old :lol:
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

He was converted to receiver in pro... and Oregon had him and Dan Fouts... but they had nothing else... their defense could not stop a high school team... ok maybe that is a stretch... but they lost several games because could not stop anyone. It was a different era and a different offense. Makes one ponder what they could do in offense now. Fouts never really could run so not sure he would do good in offense now... but think Bobby More would be interesting in our offense.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:He was converted to receiver in pro... and Oregon had him and Dan Fouts... but they had nothing else... their defense could not stop a high school team... ok maybe that is a stretch... but they lost several games because could not stop anyone. It was a different era and a different offense. Makes one ponder what they could do in offense now. Fouts never really could run so not sure he would do good in offense now... but think Bobby More would be interesting in our offense.
I remember him very well in the pros, but I never had the chance to watch him as a duck. Although I never realized he played with Fouts. Unfortunately however I remember the "dark days" for both the Ducks and Beavers all to well.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

LMJ had the best career, Onterrio was the most talented but Royce could be the best at all stages. Mo Morris is very underappreciated and Snoop is probably a bit overrated, if only because his skill set didn't fit the offense.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duck07 wrote:LMJ had the best career, Onterrio was the most talented but Royce could be the best at all stages. Mo Morris is very underappreciated and Snoop is probably a bit overrated, if only because his skill set didn't fit the offense.
I was thinking about Droughns, but blanked on Onterrio. Onterrio might be my guy in a 1-game scenario.

For a career, sure seems like you have to go with Royce.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

As far as "career" numbers are concerned, I'd say it's LMJ. That being said, I'll never ever forget that Herculean effort that Kenjon Barner put up against the USC Trojans a few years ago...in the Coliseum. That was the best performance by a Duck RB bar none!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Barner against usc was great but onterrio against wazzu and lmj against Arizona were both equally unreal performances
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

For a career, I'm not sure how anyone could pick against LaMichael. The way he could hit a pile and then somehow squirt through after it looked like he was down...and he did it again and again. Great college player.

Best run I ever saw though still has to be that TD in the Civil War by Jeremiah Johnson. One of my favorite players in the 30 years that I have been a fan.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Phalanx wrote:For a career, I'm not sure how anyone could pick against LaMichael. The way he could hit a pile and then somehow squirt through after it looked like he was down...and he did it again and again. Great college player.

Best run I ever saw though still has to be that TD in the Civil War by Jeremiah Johnson. One of my favorite players in the 30 years that I have been a fan.
Yeah I think LMJ is the obvious pick. Although, JStew was probably my favorite RB at Oregon.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

LaMichael just had that it factor for me.. He could hit the whole so quick and even ran with surprising power.
Oregon has had so many great backs. I have seen them all including Bobby Moore who at that time was
a high light real ready to happen. Loved how Ricky Whittle ran the ball...Mo Morris very tough...Ontarrio Smith
is right up there... But Royce if he stays healthy could move to the top for me. Can run over people and around them.
He has very good vision and is a pretty good pass receiver out of back field.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

Phalanx wrote:For a career, I'm not sure how anyone could pick against LaMichael. The way he could hit a pile and then somehow squirt through after it looked like he was down...and he did it again and again. Great college player.

I'd have to say the single best run I've ever seen was by the "other" Jeremiah during the 2008 Holiday bowl. When he "trucked" the OK State L/B on his way to a 45 yard TD run! Classic!