4%
Other
10%

Total votes: 48
Phenom
All Pac-12

Re: Best Oregon Runningback

Post by Phenom »

At this point, it can't be anyone but LMJ. He was perhaps the best overall UO player when left. Just because he didn't amount to much in the NFL doesn't mean he wasn't the best here. We're not talking about the best in the NFL or most talented.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Phenom wrote:At this point, it can't be anyone but LMJ. He was perhaps the best overall UO player when left. Just because he didn't amount to much in the NFL doesn't mean he wasn't the best here. We're not talking about the best in the NFL or most talented.
To that end Joey is the 2nd best QB we've had.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Joey could have been good in the pros if didn't go to a team with no offensive line. Detroit had no clue how to protect their qb... every qb they had got banged up because running for their life. Steve Young even said at the time it was by far the worst offensive line in the nfl and no qb had a chance with line they had. The offensive line was only marginally better when went to the dolphins. I worry that Mariota might have the same problem. Have to have an offensive line that can protect.. if don't have that... could put an all pro qb back there and it would not matter.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Looking at the terrific Duck RBs since the mid 1990s is enjoyable. Weren't there like three JC transfer RB home-runs in a row in 1996-2001 -- McCullough, Droughns & Maurice Morris? But I'd be hard-pressed to not go with LMJ as the top Duck. Maybe that's partly because he's still "fresher" in my memory than the others, but he was just so dynamic. His reverse-the-field long TD run at Tennessee in 2010 will probably always be my favorite LMJ highlight.

A Duck RB I've never really thought belongs in this kind of conversation is Barner, though that might be in part because his career overlapped with LMJ's. Absolutely Barner was a very good, effective and productive back for the Ducks. But it seemed to me, more or less, that he was the kind of back that pretty much got behind his blockers and then found a hole to run through. Nothing wrong with that, of course; but he just didn't seem to be that kind of elusive and breaking-tackles kind of back that especially LMJ was. But I also realize that one mark of so many of the great players is that they make things look easy (e.g., on the QB side, Mariota), so I realize it's possible that I might be somewhat fooled in my evaluation of Barner due to that.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

LMJ had the best vision once he hit the hole ive seen. And he was really quick getting there. He made linebackers look
really bad most of the time and once he was 10 yards past line of scrimmage he was gone. He used his blockers as good
as anyone who has played rb here.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:LMJ had the best vision once he hit the hole ive seen. And he was really quick getting there. He made linebackers look
really bad most of the time and once he was 10 yards past line of scrimmage he was gone. He used his blockers as good
Ageed. I'm really surprised that he didn't do better on the next level.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

UofDuck wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:LMJ had the best vision once he hit the hole ive seen. And he was really quick getting there. He made linebackers look
Ageed. I'm really surprised that he didn't do better on the next level.
Some players just dont transition to the next level... When you play in college your going against defenses that
have say 3-5 really good players and the rest good. in the pros its a whole defense of really good players because only
the best play at the next level.