Transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan15
One Star Recruit

Transfer

Post by duckfan15 »

Sources indicating a transfer out of the program as of today - a surprising one - offense, but no hard confirmation yet . .. anyone else hearing this?
mdm0302
Freshman

Re: Transfer

Post by mdm0302 »

wide receiver? lol
duckfan15
One Star Recruit

Post by duckfan15 »

Yep - a slot guy is what I am hearing
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Mostly guessing this is Kirk Merritt. Double-whammy is that probably takes Oregon out of the running for Michael Young (same high school team). Really wonder if it's depth chart or something else.

If you look at who Kirk is following on social media, it's a ton of Texas Tech and TCU coaches. Last time I saw that happening with an Oregon player was Morgan Mahalak.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

i would rather lose a lot of guys other than Merritt
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

that would be interesting as he played last year and seems like he would be in line for playing time this year.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Surprised I'm not seeing anything on DT about it unless they're currently working on a story that'll be posted soon. After looking at Merritt's Twitter follows, it does seem he's had a spike in following Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech coaches. Definitely not a good sign there as you'd like to see him following more Oregon people.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

greenyellow wrote:Surprised I'm not seeing anything on DT about it unless they're currently working on a story that'll be posted soon. After looking at Merritt's Twitter follows, it does seem he's had a spike in following Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech coaches. Definitely not a good sign there as you'd like to see him following more Oregon people.
By NCAA rules, he can't communicate with any other coaches until after he's requested approval to speak to other schools, meaning that if he's at the stage of following/being followed back by coaches elsewehre, it's pretty close to a done-deal by then.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

StevensTechU wrote:
greenyellow wrote:Surprised I'm not seeing anything on DT about it unless they're currently working on a story that'll be posted soon. After looking at Merritt's Twitter follows, it does seem he's had a spike in following Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech coaches. Definitely not a good sign there as you'd like to see him following more Oregon people.
By NCAA rules, he can't communicate with any other coaches until after he's requested approval to speak to other schools, meaning that if he's at the stage of following/being followed back by coaches elsewehre, it's pretty close to a done-deal by then.
If it is indeed at that stage, I find it odd that nobody on DT (including some people that have some pretty good sources within the AD) said anything in advance or even right now. As much as I dislike the news, I do like that we have someone that was able to potentially break some news.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Would suck, but if we lose anyone, a WR may hurt the least. New are pretty stacked at WR.
duckfan15
One Star Recruit

Post by duckfan15 »

My intel is solid, I will say that - and all evidence points to his departure from the team, although again, not confirmed for sure yet. On there being no story or announcement yet, my guess is that the staff has tried to keep it quiet as long as they can because he was a high level recruit.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Duckfan15- appreciate your input. Just very curious nothing has leaked on this. I think today is the first day of summer school so if he is not enrolled then that would be a strong indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
duckfan15
One Star Recruit

Post by duckfan15 »

lmduck wrote:Duckfan15- appreciate your input. Just very curious nothing has leaked on this. I think today is the first day of summer school so if he is not enrolled then that would be a strong indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed - I think if he has left or is really leaving, it will come out tomorrow - and if not, then there will be some explanation internally about why he is not there and to address the other indicators of his departure. It could be that he is just considering leaving and they are trying to convince him to stay. That has certainly happened before. In this day and age though, with all the regular movement of players, the fiasco at Baylor, social media, etc etc - I too am surprised we have not read something elsewhere.

On a somewhat related side note - I also think we are not far away from a change by the NCAA to the transfer rule - I think it will actually happen soon and the automatic one year sit-out will be gone. With the pressure of the class action currently being litigated on the rule, the Baylor fallout of players trying to leave and how that is being handled, on top of prior situations of fall out with abrupt coaching departures, etc. - it seems inevitable.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Bummer news, we never really got a chance to see what he's made of. I was hoping this season would be his breakout year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
If it is indeed at that stage, I find it odd that nobody on DT (including some people that have some pretty good sources within the AD) said anything in advance or even right now. As much as I dislike the news, I do like that we have someone that was able to potentially break some news.
It will be announced soon over there, and is expect it to be a total meltdown.