Transfer

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck24
Senior

Re: Transfer

Post by Duck24 »

It's Kirk Merritt. Moseley just retweeted his announcement.

https://twitter.com/DuckFootball/status ... 3802853376
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

From his statement, it looks like some type of family situation is making him transfer closer to home.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Bummer, to say the least. I hope the young man does well and things turn out ok for the family.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

way to break that one duckfan15.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

This kind of stuff happens every year, be it transfers or retirement. I hate to see it with a kid who has so much talent. I'm hoping more details come out, meaning is it truly a family emergency or simply a case of home sickness. If it's a true hardship he may not have to sit a year, if it's home sick he's sitting. Also I wonder were he's going....Baylor?.... Just kidding.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Speaking of Baylor, didn't some top flight WR from 2016 class who enrolled early and has since transferred visit Oregon recently? Thought I read that on Twitter but too lazy to go search for it.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Yes was between Oregon and Houston he picked houston
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Merritt was one of the most exciting commits we've had in the last 5 years, so definitely a bummer not to see his career play out. But if it's to be closer to family, you really can't complain. Best of luck to Kirk!

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Too bad. His major contribution at Oregon may have been in getting Pellum demoted as the second half defensive collapses in Oregon's last 2 games were fueled by his fumbles deep in Oregon territory.

He has always had through the roof athletic potential and is a camp superstar who never became a great high school player and as noted had more negative big plays at Oregon than positive. That said he'll likely become a star once back in Texas following in the tradition of Seastrunk and Carson.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrandpaDuck wrote:He has always had through the roof athletic potential and is a camp superstar who never became a great high school player and as noted had more negative big plays at Oregon than positive. That said he'll likely become a star once back in Texas following in the tradition of Seastrunk and Carson.
He's from Louisiana...
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:He has always had through the roof athletic potential and is a camp superstar who never became a great high school player and as noted had more negative big plays at Oregon than positive. That said he'll likely become a star once back in Texas following in the tradition of Seastrunk and Carson.
He's from Louisiana...
that's right. I'm old. change it from once back in Texas to "plays in the state of Texas" as that's where it appears he is heading.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Best of luck, Kirk! Once a Duck, always a Duck!
duckfan15
One Star Recruit

Post by duckfan15 »

Alan wrote:This kind of stuff happens every year, be it transfers or retirement. I hate to see it with a kid who has so much talent. I'm hoping more details come out, meaning is it truly a family emergency or simply a case of home sickness. If it's a true hardship he may not have to sit a year, if it's home sick he's sitting. Also I wonder were he's going....Baylor?.... Just kidding.
All players that transfer fbs to fbs have to sit a year under current rule, unless they graduate - the NCAA eliminated the hardship waiver to get out of sitting a year, but if a player can prove hardship then they add the lost year back on at end of eligibility.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

duckfan15 wrote:
Alan wrote:This kind of stuff happens every year, be it transfers or retirement. I hate to see it with a kid who has so much talent. I'm hoping more details come out, meaning is it truly a family emergency or simply a case of home sickness. If it's a true hardship he may not have to sit a year, if it's home sick he's sitting. Also I wonder were he's going....Baylor?.... Just kidding.
All players that transfer fbs to fbs have to sit a year under current rule, unless they graduate - the NCAA eliminated the hardship waiver to get out of sitting a year, but if a player can prove hardship then they add the lost year back on at end of eligibility.
My apologies, I'm not really following you. Are you saying that under current rules if they can prove a true hardship they don't have to sit a year and the lost year will be added their last year of eligibility? If so it's basically the same thing. NFL players lose nothing college caliber player still sit a year, be it the front end or back end. If I'm mistaken please help me understand.....
duckfan15
One Star Recruit

Post by duckfan15 »

They have to sit the year out, but they can petition to get a year added on at end of their eligibility if they can prove they transferred due to hardship (would come into play for a player who transfers and already used redshirt, primarily) - but there is no longer any ability to get out of having to sit out the first year at the new school