Let's talk O-Line

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Let's talk O-Line

Post by Alan »

Reading a thread on preseason polls, the last post made a good point about Steele ranking of the Ducks 26. Lots of newness to the team this year, quarterbacks, D-line, coordinators and O-line. The ducks have a lot of talent at both RB and WR, also QB position should be a big step above last season. But without an O-line all that doesn't matter. The projected Starters on the o-line have plenty of experience except for the center, but once you drop to the second team there's a bunch of question marks and red flags. Most of you guys have great insight and thoughts, I would like to hear your thoughts on how bad or good the o-line should be next season. Here's a link to projected starters, I checked three sites all three had the same projection.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/s ... /78935264/
SuperDuck
Senior

Re: Let's talk O-Line

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:Reading a thread on preseason polls, the last post made a good point about Steele ranking of the Ducks 26. Lots of newness to the team this year, quarterbacks, D-line, coordinators and O-line. The ducks have a lot of talent at both RB and WR, also QB position should be a big step above last season. But without an O-line all that doesn't matter. The projected Starters on the o-line have plenty of experience except for the center, but once you drop to the second team there's a bunch of question marks and red flags. Most of you guys have great insight and thoughts, I would like to hear your thoughts on how bad or good the o-line should be next season. Here's a link to projected starters, I checked three sites all three had the same projection.

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/s ... /78935264/

The talent is there, they just need the reps. There may be changes there as well since that article is dated from January, well before the spring game. It also has Kirk Merritt in the lineup, Charles Nelson still on defense and Jeff Lockie as #2 QB (NOOOOOO!!!).

The advantage the O-Line will have is that the new guys have been in the system for a full year. Some got game experience last year, too. I think the biggest things will be adjustments at new positions (Crosby at left tackle instead of right, Cameron Hunt moving from right guard to tackle, Hanson at center, etc). Also, the depth. Elijah George backed up Johnstone at LT last year so that's huge.

Also, opening against UC-Davis should give several kids playing time. Honestly, I expect Virginia to come into Autzen ready to play, so it's hard to say how many reps the young guys will get in that game. I'm hoping we pull away by halftime so they can get more opportunities before the Ducks head to Nebraska.
John 3:36
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Here's a much better preview of the O-Line from Rob Moseley.

http://www.goducks.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =210947007
John 3:36
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Is it just me or is Crosby one of those guys who it seems like has been with the Ducks forever and is only a Junior?
BOOF it!
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Dear Offensive Line:
Watch Crosby. Listen to Crosby. Pay attention to Crosby. Emulate Crosby. Seek advice from Crosby.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I feel really good about Crosby, Hunt, and Hanson (I know it's all second-hand right now, but it really does sound like he's going to step in well). I like what Pisarcik and Brenner can do against mid-level competition, but I'm not sure if either has the physical gifts to really compete with the best defensive linemen around the country, and it would be a vulnerability against top tier teams. That's where Zac Morgan (transfer) and Shane Lemieux are going to need to step up, which is a question mark.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:I feel really good about Crosby, Hunt, and Hanson (I know it's all second-hand right now, but it really does sound like he's going to step in well). I like what Pisarcik and Brenner can do against mid-level competition, but I'm not sure if either has the physical gifts to really compete with the best defensive linemen around the country, and it would be a vulnerability against top tier teams. That's where Zac Morgan (transfer) and Shane Lemieux are going to need to step up, which is a question mark.
Pretty much my thoughts, we're fairly solid for the first team. Although even with all his hype Hanson is still a question mark in my eyes, with luck he'll prove the hype right by the second or third game. But the second team is a bit of a drop in talent, most have experience but can they hold their own against the top teams? It's nothing more than thoughts and something to talk about until camp starts.

I have always enjoy reading Mosley, especially when he was with the guard. But now while reading his stuff you have to remember who cuts his checks and wonder just how much his articles are censored.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I'll add that I had forgotten about Zac Morgan and had to google him to refresh my memory. He did very well at Dayton and certainly has the size to play at this level. I'm fairly excited about him, I hope he steps up.

Edit to add; I see Oregon hadn't signed him in February, does anyone know if he participated in spring practices or is even on campus yet?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Alan wrote:I'll add that I had forgotten about Zac Morgan and had to google him to refresh my memory. He did very well at Dayton and certainly has the size to play at this level. I'm fairly excited about him, I hope he steps up.

Edit to add; I see Oregon hadn't signed him in February, does anyone know if he participated in spring practices or is even on campus yet?
Morgan was scheduled to graduate in May/June and going to come in for fall camp. Though he comes in with considerably more experience, it's similar to the Kyle Long where he comes in for 1 year, and I remember it took Long until about halfway through the year to get the offense down. Morgan may be a bit quicker in that he's already played so much college football, whereas Long I think did just 1 year of JUCO after playing baseball at Florida State.

Which is all to say "Who knows."

As far as Alan's earlier comment about the second string being less talented, I don't know if I agree with that, at least as far as word choice. Less experienced, certainly, but I'd say guys like Throckmorton, Okun, Lemieux and Aiello have better pro prospects than guys like Pisarcik, Brenner and maybe even Morgan ahead of them. Short in experience and maturation, but not talent, IMO.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:
Alan wrote:I'll add that I had forgotten about Zac Morgan and had to google him to refresh my memory. He did very well at Dayton and certainly has the size to play at this level. I'm fairly excited about him, I hope he steps up.

Morgan was scheduled to graduate in May/June and going to come in for fall camp. Though he comes in with considerably more experience, it's similar to the Kyle Long where he comes in for 1 year, and I remember it took Long until about halfway through the year to get the offense down. Morgan may be a bit quicker in that he's already played so much college football, whereas Long I think did just 1 year of JUCO after playing baseball at Florida State.

Which is all to say "Who knows."

As far as Alan's earlier comment about the second string being less talented, I don't know if I agree with that, at least as far as word choice. Less experienced, certainly, but I'd say guys like Throckmorton, Okun, Lemieux and Aiello have better pro prospects than guys like Pisarcik, Brenner and maybe even Morgan ahead of them. Short in experience and maturation, but not talent, IMO.
I agree the word talent probably was the wrong word, I was trying to stay away for using "less experienced" because most have good minutes of playing time. I was using Crosby and Hunt as benchmarks a comparing to them, (I know high benchmarks). Brenner was a failure at center, but that's not to say he won't be better at guard.... Or tackle. Also I'm kind of high on my opinion of Pisarcik, seems to be a kid that does what it takes to get in there.

Thanks for updating me on Morgan.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Do we have a center who can snap the ball... that is my main question after the debacle against TCU. If he was signing up for the golf team with way he snapped in the bowl game might do well there.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

I was encouraged that Oregon added an extra lift day to the strength and conditioning program last year.

Not sure we've seen a tangible result on the field yet but that has, imo, been one weakness of the O-line group as a whole. Our O-line does great against FCS through mid/high-level D1 competition but sometimes struggles against elite, Nick Fairly, type D-linemen.

There is a balance between having a center who is athletic enough to pull off-tackle and lead block the RB and an O-lineman who is physical enough to either hold the point of attack or move the defender off his spot.

Penetration is the key to defending the zone read spread offense. When the quarterback is reading the far side DE and near side DT moves into the backfield you see those plays where Royce either has to cut up field early for no gain or risk bouncing outside for a potential 5+ yard loss.

I love the talent on the O-line roster and feel confident that we'll do just fine at the position group this year.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Do we have a center who can snap the ball... that is my main question after the debacle against TCU. If he was signing up for the golf team with way he snapped in the bowl game might do well there.
Hanson should be starting for us. I really like the fact that we will have a center who will start for us for four years. In general, that was worked out great for us.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13