gogreen55
Senior

Big Sky coaches talk about Dakota Prukop

Post by gogreen55 »

mdm0302
Freshman

Re: Big Sky coaches talk about Dakota Prukop

Post by mdm0302 »

this coupled with prukop throwing no "dimes" in the spring game (compared to TJ throwing multiple), i don't expect much of him in the passing game - besides throwing it up for his receivers to catch jump balls and quick hitters. Him being able to take off and run it means nothing to me.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Tried to google it and found nothing, exactly what does throwing a dime mean? Thanks. I could guess but it would only be a guess.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Alan wrote:Tried to google it and found nothing, exactly what does throwing a dime mean? Thanks. I could guess but it would only be a guess.
It means throwing a pass that is easy to catch for the receivers.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Thank you greenyellow, my guess wouldn't have been close. After reading the article I really don't know what the author was attempting to accomplish. Prokup was not surrounded with the type of athletes the Ducks have. I came away with a good feeling of both (all three) of the qb's performances, keeping in mind it was not live for them and a filtered game plan.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

After the spring game, Prukop was saying that the reason for some of his flat-footed throwing was he was still getting used to the way Oregon does their QB-WR timing since it's different from what he used at Montana State.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

greenyellow wrote:After the spring game, Prukop was saying that the reason for some of his flat-footed throwing was he was still getting used to the way Oregon does their QB-WR timing since it's different from what he used at Montana State.

Yeah, I would take the spring game with a grain of salt. In addition to the timing issues, Helfrich has him changing his footwork, too. I'd imagine that Helf is also trying to curb some of his "run first" mentality and just use his feet to extend plays, try to allow receivers time to get open and only run if there's either no one safe to throw to or it's wide open. Even then, I'd imagine he'll be running out of bounds and sliding a lot to try to avoid injuries.

What will be interesting to me is how quickly the O-Line gels, because if the new guys (outside of Hanson, Hunt and Crosby) struggle early you may see the coaches moving the pocket in order to try to keep pressure of the QB. That's a good way to compensate, but it also shrinks the playing field.

I love the fact that this kid has "Joey Harrington" type intensity. Still, it concerns me that he may try to force throws that aren't there, at least early on. Hopefully the coaches can settle him down a notch.

I can't wait to see him play in a real game. Come on September!!!
John 3:36
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

mdm0302 wrote:this coupled with prukop throwing no "dimes" in the spring game (compared to TJ throwing multiple), i don't expect much of him in the passing game - besides throwing it up for his receivers to catch jump balls and quick hitters. Him being able to take off and run it means nothing to me.
To be fair, many of them were comparing him to VA who is a very good passer, especially looking for the deep ball.

Sounds like he has the head and the legs, so as long as he can throw better than Lockie, I think we'll be fine this season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:this coupled with prukop throwing no "dimes" in the spring game (compared to TJ throwing multiple), i don't expect much of him in the passing game - besides throwing it up for his receivers to catch jump balls and quick hitters. Him being able to take off and run it means nothing to me.
To be fair, many of them were comparing him to VA who is a very good passer, especially looking for the deep ball.

Sounds like he has the head and the legs, so as long as he can throw better than Lockie, I think we'll be fine this season.
my opinion is that a VA caliber QB gets us to the playoffs next year. Lockie would get us to the sun bowl. I guess I'm thinking like holiday bowl with Prukop.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Didn't he also turn down offers from Alabama, Michigan, and Texas? Seems like he impressed some people smarter than I am. May the best man win the job. Just so its not Lockie. I am that smart.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

duck58 wrote:Didn't he also turn down offers from Alabama, Michigan, and Texas? Seems like he impressed some people smarter than I am. May the best man win the job. Just so its not Lockie. I am that smart.
That was my thought reading these critiques of him. He had other bigtime opportunities so Helf and Co weren't the only ones who saw talent there. On top of that, opposing D's won't be able to focus so much attention on him as they could at Montana State because of the talent surrounding him in Eugene. The opposing coaches were talking about multiple spies which create so many other vulnerabilities within your D. Oregon has made a name for themselves by exploiting vulnerabilities and mismatches, that won't change with Prukop behind center.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck24 wrote:
duck58 wrote:Didn't he also turn down offers from Alabama, Michigan, and Texas? Seems like he impressed some people smarter than I am. May the best man win the job. Just so its not Lockie. I am that smart.
That was my thought reading these critiques of him. He had other bigtime opportunities so Helf and Co weren't the only ones who saw talent there. On top of that, opposing D's won't be able to focus so much attention on him as they could at Montana State because of the talent surrounding him in Eugene. The opposing coaches were talking about multiple spies which create so many other vulnerabilities within your D. Oregon has made a name for themselves by exploiting vulnerabilities and mismatches, that won't change with Prukop behind center.

+1
John 3:36