Complete List of New 2016 Walk-Ons

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Complete List of New 2016 Walk-Ons

Post by StevensTechU »

I keep seeing new walk-ons pop up here and there, so I wanted to create a thread of all the names we may be hearing in the fall's practice reports. Here's who I know of so far:

Valentino Daltoso, Boise, ID - Offensive Line
Justin Matias, Honolulu, HI - Defensive Back
Ronnie Rust, Portland, OR - Defensive Back
Riley Smith, Boise, ID - Wide Receiver
Connor Berggren, West Linn, OR - Wide Receiver
Dexter Myers, Pasadena, CA - Defensive Back
Dylan Scaggs, Tacoma, WA - Wide Receiver/Defensive Back
Jalontae Walker, Milwaukie, OR - Linebacker

*will update with Hudl videos*
Phalanx
Senior

Re: Complete List of New 2016 Walk-Ons

Post by Phalanx »

"The Ducks added two players today who participated in a walk-on tryout earlier this week – offensive lineman Charlie Landgraf, who attended Jesuit High in Portland, and receiver Kyle Buckner"

http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/3/30/2 ... h=football
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Not being familiar with any of them... will any of them be legitimate players that receive scholarship down the road? Or have significant playing time? I know a lot of teams usually have a couple of players that were walk ons at some point.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I think the most likely to earn a scholarship is Ronnie Rust. Many said he was the most talented player at Central Catholic but schools were scared off because of his potential baseball career and he had multiple shoulder injuries. The shoulder injuries caused him to lose his baseball scholarship at OSU but it sounds like his shoulder is now repaired and that he may try walking on to the baseball team at Oregon as well.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Not being familiar with any of them... will any of them be legitimate players that receive scholarship down the road? Or have significant playing time? I know a lot of teams usually have a couple of players that were walk ons at some point.
It's often dependent not only on the individual's hard work and talent, but also on the availability of a scholarship at a the position. So it's incredibly hard to say. (this is my cop out before I offer a guess)

Based on film, I'd go with Justin Matias. He's a talented and natural safety out of Punahou in Hawai'i. With the the lack of safeties recruited in the last cycle or two, I think there's opportunity there to see the field and eventually excel enough to possibly score a scholly. But as a poster said above, Ronnie Rust could be the guy at the same position.

The one I find most intriguing is Jalontae Walker. He's Pac-12 size and speed as a linebacker.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

Zach Emerson - Kicker Bend, OR Mountain View
http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/3501 ... story.html
http://www.bendsource.com/bend/zach-eme ... id=2592214

This kid will be our starting kicker or punter in 2 years.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

neezy3 wrote:Zach Emerson - Kicker Bend, OR Mountain View
http://www.bendbulletin.com/sports/3501 ... story.html
http://www.bendsource.com/bend/zach-eme ... id=2592214

This kid will be our starting kicker or punter in 2 years.
For whatever reason, I thought Emerson was grayshirting but would have a scholarship. Thanks for the catch!
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

What happened with Brandon Gahagan out of Bishop Gorman? I thought he accepted a preferred walk-on spot with the Ducks as well. Did something change? I was intrigued with him.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Sooth wrote:What happened with Brandon Gahagan out of Bishop Gorman? I thought he accepted a preferred walk-on spot with the Ducks as well. Did something change? I was intrigued with him.
Looks like he's on campus. My post didn't have every person, just the list I knew from memory and was hoping others would contribute to complete the list. Thank you for bringing up Gahagan.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

StevensTechU wrote: The one I find most intriguing is Jalontae Walker. He's Pac-12 size and speed as a linebacker.
After just re-watching the Oregon/Stanford game highlights, any linebacker with the last name of Walker is good in my book!! :lol: