Devon Allen Family Gofundme Article AZcentral

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Devon Allen Family Gofundme Article AZcentral

Post by rentdodger1 »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/o ... /86990482/

Devon Allen's father, Louis was recently laid off his job in May. He is trying to get funds together so the family can make the trip to Rio and see his son bring home the hardware. By all accounts this family is a great example of perseverance and fighting through some tough times.

Not sure the ramifications of contributing as booster/alumni and Devon's status as a student/athlete, but his family deserves to see this kid succeed in person. Great representative of the University of Oregon and the Phoenix area.

https://www.gofundme.com/2cmqfv3f
mdm0302
Freshman

Re: Devon Allen Family Gofundme Article AZcentral

Post by mdm0302 »

I'm sure there are people who agree with me and completely disagree. This is a polar stance. I cannot stand it when someone/a family in this situation ("celebratory" word of mouth) is funded large amounts of dollars for an expense that is on the leisurely side of the spectrum when i know/have heard of many people who are using "gofundme" to gain a quarter of their expenses for life changing health care. If these "average joes" were in the shoes of the family of DA they would have the donations - the family of DA will get this money for leisurely time. It is still "leisurely" time no matter how big of deal it is to watch their son compete at the olympics - especially in comparisons. I think its pitiful.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I have no problem with it. I have raised four children to adulthood, I know the enormous expense involved. None of my children were anywhere close to having the athletic talent of Devon Allen. I often end wondered how Marcus Mariota's parents could handle the expense of travel to watch their son. Louis Allen's son is Americas best athlete in the 110 hurdles and will represent the U.S. In Rio, Dad and Mom have to be there to watch their son. In fact I'll be throwing a few bucks in the pot myself. Exciting time in life for a proud father.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

No problem with it, but won't be contributing.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:No problem with it, but won't be contributing.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

mdm0302 wrote:I'm sure there are people who agree with me and completely disagree. This is a polar stance. I cannot stand it when someone/a family in this situation ("celebratory" word of mouth) is funded large amounts of dollars for an expense that is on the leisurely side of the spectrum when i know/have heard of many people who are using "gofundme" to gain a quarter of their expenses for life changing health care. If these "average joes" were in the shoes of the family of DA they would have the donations - the family of DA will get this money for leisurely time. It is still "leisurely" time no matter how big of deal it is to watch their son compete at the olympics - especially in comparisons. I think its pitiful.
But what is a life void of experiences? Hollow. I have no issue with this. Watching your child represent the country you love is not the same as drinking martini's by the pool. The kid spent enormous effort to earn this and being part of it for a parent is essentially a must.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

mdm0302 wrote:I'm sure there are people who agree with me and completely disagree. This is a polar stance. I cannot stand it when someone/a family in this situation ("celebratory" word of mouth) is funded large amounts of dollars for an expense that is on the leisurely side of the spectrum when i know/have heard of many people who are using "gofundme" to gain a quarter of their expenses for life changing health care. If these "average joes" were in the shoes of the family of DA they would have the donations - the family of DA will get this money for leisurely time. It is still "leisurely" time no matter how big of deal it is to watch their son compete at the olympics - especially in comparisons. I think its pitiful.
I'm sure there are people who will agree with me and those who vehemently disagree, but I think those gofundme projects for health procedures violate Darwinism and I can't support that.

My cousin has literally spent the majority of his life training to be a professional laser racer (sailing.) Granted, there are zero poor people who get involved in regattas but the Olympics are unlike any other competition. He only failed to qualify for team USA because a year and a half ago at a qualifying event in the UK, his keel and tiller broke on the third day after dominating the first two days and was unable to finish. If after everything my aunt and uncle have done for him if they were to ask for some help, what does it really matter?

People waste time, money and resources every single day on nonsensical stuff but if this upsets you...
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

$10,500 in two days, lots of support coming in.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

The thing is, it's not like this is tax money. Contribute if you want. Ignore it if you don't. I don't see why anyone would get upset.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm sure there are people who will agree with me and those who vehemently disagree, but I think those gofundme projects for health procedures violate Darwinism and I can't support that.
I don't think you're a bad person for saying that. I get where you're coming from. But some people with unfortunately weak bodies have way more to offer to society than some idiotic people with perfect bodies. And I'm not talking about people who are lean vs. obese; more like people who are just unlucky enough to have freak chronic illnesses through no fault of their own.

That said, I don't really contribute to gofundme campaigns in general, so however people want to contribute is up to them.
Willie Taggart is a dick.