Hypothetical: Would You Be Happy if Oregon Hired Art Briles?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: Hypothetical: Would You Be Happy if Oregon Hired Art Bri

Post by wepto »

SuperDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:Well, we can always bring in Sandusky if he ever gets out! :shock:

That's a little extreme. We're not even in the vicinity of discussing minors or little boys here. That's really sick.
So is bringing in Briles.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:

That's a little extreme. We're not even in the vicinity of discussing minors or little boys here. That's really sick.
So you're now parsing between degrees of sexual assault and abuse? Both Penn State and Baylor covered up for sexual predators, Penn State simply takes the cake for longevity. I tend to think the people who cover up for an abuser are sometimes even more despicable than the perpetrator.

Though I am always down for tongue in cheek comments which is why I've always believed that Pol Pot's efficiency metrics blow Hitler and Stalin out of the water. A true money all approach!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

wepto wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:

So is bringing in Briles.
Not even in the same vicinity. Sandusky raped little boys.
John 3:36
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Not even in the same vicinity. Sandusky raped little boys.
Rape is rape, in my book. Although the crime always seems worse when the victims are so young. But to me, a man who rapes women deserves exactly the same fate as a man who rapes children.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

StevensTechU wrote:I'd be livid. This isn't Louisville.
Exactly. This might be a good move for a school like Fresno St. or UTEP, but we're not a program that has to take a bad character guy in order to get talent. We don't do it with our players; we don't do it with our coaches.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I'm without words about how serious you guys are taking this thread. Briles got what he deserved and you can bet Sandusky did too. Maybe lighten up a bit, both names mentioned are scum, that shouldn't have to be explained here.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

The menial amount of money I donate to the University would immediately cease if they made such a hire. Much in the way USC has disavowed Reggie Bush, I would do the same with the University of Oregon. I am but a pissant to UO with by Bachelors degree from there and tiny annual donation but I wouldn't support them in any way or form.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Duck24 wrote:The menial amount of money I donate to the University would immediately cease if they made such a hire. Much in the way USC has disavowed Reggie Bush, I would do the same with the University of Oregon. I am but a pissant to UO with by Bachelors degree from there and tiny annual donation but I wouldn't support them in any way or form.
If the AD and President somehow lost their minds to the extent that Briles got hired, it would turn into immediate political scandal. It would permanently damage the credibility of the institution. The Governor and/or the state legislature would probably step in (or at least threaten to). There is no way a hire like this would fly in Oregon.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
Exactly. This might be a good move for a school like Fresno St. or UTEP, but we're not a program that has to take a bad character guy in order to get talent. We don't do it with our players; we don't do it with our coaches.
+1

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
+1
+2
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I view this hypothetical as, would you rather go 7-5 with a cleancut coach and program; or 11-1 and have a shAdy group of characters be your program. I would love, especially as a Christian man to say 'i just want to root for good people' but wins talk to a certain extent.

Obviously I don't want art bristles or petrino etc here but I also wouldn't lose much if any interest in the program if we had a shAdy coach who was winning rose bowls.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Hell no to Briles.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

if we fall back to mediocrity, and briles sits out a few years, i guarantee the desire to win would turn a lot of votes to 'yes'. i bet he's learned his lesson... everybody deserves a second chance... it was the administration, really...
ImageImageImageImageImage
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Never, the only team Art Briles deserves to coach is the Mean Machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

oregontrack wrote:if we fall back to mediocrity, and briles sits out a few years, i guarantee the desire to win would turn a lot of votes to 'yes'. i bet he's learned his lesson... everybody deserves a second chance... it was the administration, really...
I kind of thought the same thing. I don't like what's happened at Baylor in any way. If he did have knowledge of what happened there, he's a complete dirtbag, and I wouldn't want him at Oregon either.

That being said, Briles hasn't been charged with anything. He was relieved of his duties and has been completely uncooperative where the victims have been concerned, but no charges have been filed and there've been no "show cause" penalties placed on him by the NCAA.

Petrino cheated on his wife and is a known opportunist. He hasn't been charged with anything either, but I still wouldn't want him.

Sandusky HAS been charged! I don't see the need to have him in the conversation at all.

All that being said, this was only a "hypothetical" situation. Mike Leach landed at WSU after allegations of abusing players at Texas Tech. Definitely not the same situation, but no one thought he'd get an FBS job again either.

I just hope that Helfrich keeps the machine moving forward. That way we never have to have this discussion.
John 3:36