Hypothetical: Would You Be Happy if Oregon Hired Art Briles?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Hypothetical: Would You Be Happy if Oregon Hired Art Bri

Post by Duck07 »

Lol at throwing Mike Leach in to that group. 90percent of his problem was Craig James, who happens to be a poster child for shady college athletes.

Those two Alabama players weren't charged so I guess that means neither of them did anything wrong either? I believe that your plausible deniability goes out the window once it's no longer a single, isolated act. There was rampant abuse of women going on at Baylor and they didn't care what the law said because by golly they were going to honor God through athletic achievement. It's beyond disgusting. It's like sticking up for the Catholic church and saying they don't have a pedophilia problem.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

SuperDuck wrote:
oregontrack wrote:if we fall back to mediocrity, and briles sits out a few years, i guarantee the desire to win would turn a lot of votes to 'yes'. i bet he's learned his lesson... everybody deserves a second chance... it was the administration, really...
I kind of thought the same thing. I don't like what's happened at Baylor in any way. If he did have knowledge of what happened there, he's a complete dirtbag, and I wouldn't want him at Oregon either.

That being said, Briles hasn't been charged with anything. He was relieved of his duties and has been completely uncooperative where the victims have been concerned, but no charges have been filed and there've been no "show cause" penalties placed on him by the NCAA.

Petrino cheated on his wife and is a known opportunist. He hasn't been charged with anything either, but I still wouldn't want him.

Sandusky HAS been charged! I don't see the need to have him in the conversation at all.

All that being said, this was only a "hypothetical" situation. Mike Leach landed at WSU after allegations of abusing players at Texas Tech. Definitely not the same situation, but no one thought he'd get an FBS job again either.

I just hope that Helfrich keeps the machine moving forward. That way we never have to have this discussion.
Sandusky was simply tongue and cheek on my part and some elected to turn into drama, again relax.

But let's let's take your point to the next step super, Mike Riley, Mr. nice guy, knew of a sexual assault at OSU and did nothing, not even a hand slap or stumble in his career. Altman delayed the process of a alleged sexual assault by three of his players on a girl, so the players could play in the "tourney". Oregon paid the girl off and kicked the three off the team after the tourney..... Not even a hand slap to Dana.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck07 wrote:Lol at throwing Mike Leach in to that group. 90percent of his problem was Craig James, who happens to be a poster child for shady college athletes.
Yup, James just simply blew thing up because he thought his son was not getting a fair shake, after all why should the kid have to take off his sun glasses while at practice? The only end result was it killed the career of Craig James.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Altman delayed the process of a alleged sexual assault by three of his players on a girl, so the players could play in the "tourney". Oregon paid the girl off and kicked the three off the team after the tourney..... Not even a hand slap to Dana.
This is a big reason why I have a hard time really getting behind our basketball program. It feels tainted.

Not saying I didn't get excited during our tournament run last season. I'll always cheer for my Ducks, and our current players didn't do anything wrong. But if the UofO fired Altman today, I wouldn't be upset. I'm sure a lot of Oregonians feel the same way.

I don't care enough about college basketball though (and I haven't immersed myself enough in the facts of what happened) to get genuinely revved up about this. But it would definitely be easier to care if I could legitimately feel good about the guy running the program. Just from what I did read, my feeling is that something stinks.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Altman delayed the process of a alleged sexual assault by three of his players on a girl, so the players could play in the "tourney". Oregon paid the girl off and kicked the three off the team after the tourney..... Not even a hand slap to Dana.
This is a big reason why I have a hard time really getting behind our basketball program. It feels tainted.

Not saying I didn't get excited during our tournament run last season. I'll always cheer for my Ducks, and our current players didn't do anything wrong. But if the UofO fired Altman today, I wouldn't be upset. I'm sure a lot of Oregonians feel the same way.

I don't care enough about college basketball though (and I haven't immersed myself enough in the facts of what happened) to get genuinely revved up about this. But it would definitely be easier to care if I could legitimately feel good about the guy running the program. Just from what I did read, my feeling is that something stinks.
I hate to act like I know all the details in the case, but at the end of the day it sounded like the girl was a floozy who had no problem jumping from basketball player to basketball player. It's not your cut and dry case of an innocent girl in the wrong place at the wrong time type of situation. Additionally, I feel like most coaches probably would have just suspended their players for a few game and then moved on with life. So the fact that he kicked all three guys off the team shows me that he takes what they did seriously.

The one thing I will give you is how it got delayed until after the tournament. That was never quite explained and does seem somewhat shady, otherwise, I think DA acted beyond what most coaches would.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

The one thing I will give you is how it got delayed until after the tournament. That was never quite explained and does seem somewhat shady, otherwise, I think DA acted beyond what most coaches would.
Yeah, my gut feeling has always been that he only did that once the media caught wind of what happened... too reactive and not proactive.

Again, though, I admittedly haven't dug into this to the degree that I'd feel comfortable arguing my "correctness" on the issue, so I've remained pretty quiet about it and haven't completely passed judgement. I may not even be correct on my timeline of exactly when the players were dismissed in regards to media coverage. That's just how I remember it playing out in mainstream media.

Most people here know that I'll argue 'till the ends of the earth when I'm confident in my research, and that's not the case with this.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
oregontrack
All Pac-12

Post by oregontrack »

i hate even being associated with the type of people who go about "blaming the victim" in defense of the school they root for. that said, i agree with TK1, that whole basketball thing was really messed up. if you read the police reports, i have no idea why artis and dotson were kicked out of school. well, i do -- an overreactive administration. but really, my god. i just don't see what they did.

please hate on me if i'm wrong. like i said, i don't like being "that guy." but i read the police reports and was flabergasted that two kids were banished from a college campus for 10 years for that. at one point, weren't both players suing the school? i hope they win.

and i also agree that the cover-up was ugly and, ultimately, completely unnecessary. i don't exactly know how much dana altman was involved. i suspect he was willfully ignorant -- "i know something happened but i don't want to know. can they play? yes? great."), but even if he was the grand orchestrator it seems like a unique blemish on his record. i can't recall altman ever involved in anything shady at his other stops.
ImageImageImageImageImage
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Remember Altman answers to the AD. There are also lawyers involved in situations of a legal matter.
So it may not be Altman delaying anything, more someone else giving guidence. But like pez im not sure
either. To me it could have looked better then it did.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Alan wrote:Well, we can always bring in Sandusky if he ever gets out! :shock:
That was funny!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
Duck07 wrote:Lol at throwing Mike Leach in to that group. 90percent of his problem was Craig James, who happens to be a poster child for shady college athletes.
Yup, James just simply blew thing up because he thought his son was not getting a fair shake, after all why should the kid have to take off his sun glasses while at practice? The only end result was it killed the career of Craig James.

I don't think the dead hookers and multiple other things killed Craig James career.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

I hate to act like I know all the details in the case, but at the end of the day it sounded like the girl was a floozy who had no problem jumping from basketball player to basketball player. It's not your cut and dry case of an innocent girl in the wrong place at the wrong time type of situation. Additionally, I feel like most coaches probably would have just suspended their players for a few game and then move on with life. So the fact he kicked all three guys off the team shows me that he's takes what they did seriously.

At first I was pissed, but as the facts surfaced it seemed less cut and dry. The next morning she was with Joe Young, how many girls that get raped and jump right to another guy 12 hrs later? So I'm sure Dana, while obviously wanting to win in the tourney, was also allowing the police to do their job. I still question kicking Dotson and Artis off the team, but Altman has the facts and we don't. But like the girl, both are going to get a payday from UO at some point.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

I would assume that if signed a Loi, that when they signed it there were some ethics clauses in it? If they broke any of those they should have been dismissed. If they didn't then the university is at fault. Jmo