Larry Scott still "...disappointed and frustrated...".

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

RanDux
Senior

Re: Larry Scott still "...disappointed and frustrated...".

Post by RanDux »

Does Comcast carry Pac 12 Network?
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

The direct TV thing is a small part of a larger issue. I could care less about Direct TV itself.

There are 2 main problems that are much bigger issues.

1. OTHER alternatives to Comcast to watch games. Sure, you can't get it done with Direct TV. So, strike a deal with Playstation Vue or with Roku or with Sling Box. SEC and Big 10 Networks have deals with ALL of those streaming services. How about offering games online for a cost? The lack of creative thinking is complete garbage.

2. Regional TV contract BS. IE, you can't get Oregon games if you have the "Bay Area" or "Arizona" or "Washington" channel, instead you get a replay of Washington State ultimate Frisbee vs. Idaho or something.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Thought I'd mention something I heard upon recently going to an AT&T retail store to get a new smart phone, FWIW.

When the subject of DirecTV came up (since they are part of AT&T now) when I was talking about sports with the salesman, I quickly dismissed it because "they don't have Pac-12 Networks." What the salesman then said, which was subsequently backed up in no uncertain terms by his boss, was that there are talks going on and that it's probable that DirecTV will have Pac-12 Networks available sometime during this football season. I noted that it's pretty bad timing to not have it available at the beginning of the college football season, to which the manager agreed. It sounds like the there is pretty much an agreement in principle, but that there is some legal issues that have to be properly worded before things can be finalized.

Again, just FWIW, since I know this has been a topic on this board from time to time. It doesn't personally impact me since I have DISH. I was actually reminded of that visit to AT&T last week by this paragraph from http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/index. ... iver_index:

The Pac-12 Network made some new hires in attempt to try and fix its distribution issues. Longtime cable industry veteran Alden Mitchell Budill, who previously held the title of Vice President, Domestic Distribution and Strategy for Discovery Communications and the Oprah Winfrey Network, joins the network as "the Head of Distribution and will be responsible for overseeing the worldwide distribution of all Pac-12 Networks content across all platforms," according to the release. First up for Budill, "set up a meeting with DirecTV," writes John Ourand of Sports Business Daily.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Greenblood wrote:Thought I'd mention something I heard upon recently going to an AT&T retail store to get a new smart phone, FWIW.

When the subject of DirecTV came up (since they are part of AT&T now) when I was talking about sports with the salesman, I quickly dismissed it because "they don't have Pac-12 Networks." What the salesman then said, which was subsequently backed up in no uncertain terms by his boss, was that there are talks going on and that it's probable that DirecTV will have Pac-12 Networks available sometime during this football season. I noted that it's pretty bad timing to not have it available at the beginning of the college football season, to which the manager agreed. It sounds like the there is pretty much an agreement in principle, but that there is some legal issues that have to be properly worded before things can be finalized.

Again, just FWIW, since I know this has been a topic on this board from time to time. It doesn't personally impact me since I have DISH. I was actually reminded of that visit to AT&T last week by this paragraph from http://www.oregonlive.com/pac-12/index. ... iver_index:

The Pac-12 Network made some new hires in attempt to try and fix its distribution issues. Longtime cable industry veteran Alden Mitchell Budill, who previously held the title of Vice President, Domestic Distribution and Strategy for Discovery Communications and the Oprah Winfrey Network, joins the network as "the Head of Distribution and will be responsible for overseeing the worldwide distribution of all Pac-12 Networks content across all platforms," according to the release. First up for Budill, "set up a meeting with DirecTV," writes John Ourand of Sports Business Daily.