Larry Scott still "...disappointed and frustrated...".

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

rockthief
Senior

Larry Scott still "...disappointed and frustrated...".

Post by rockthief »

regarding DirectTV. Why does not someone set his butt down and tell him to get it done? What is the hangup? The guy needs to be pushed to do things good for the PAC, but then I doubt that he has only his best interest in mind, not that of the conference. Anybody have the inside reasons why this is not taken care of,.
greenyellow

Re: Larry Scott still "...disappointed and frustrated...".

Post by greenyellow »

You also have to blame DirecTV because they want a lower price than every other satellite/cable who've reached a deal with the Pac-12. If the Pac-12 does that, then they would have to renegotiate with every other service, which likely would mean lower revenue streams.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Well Larry is part of the problem having helped alienate some of those providers by over gauging the interest in the actual network and trying to use that against those providers early on.

As far as I'm concerned, Scott's time at the top should be over.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

greenyellow wrote:You also have to blame DirecTV because they want a lower price than every other satellite/cable who've reached a deal with the Pac-12. If the Pac-12 does that, then they would have to renegotiate with every other service, which likely would mean lower revenue streams.
That's false. The subscriber fees are very tightly held. Anything you hear online or elsewhere is a guess or guesstimate at best. DirecTV doesn't have real info on fees being charged other providers. Other providers don't have info on what DirecTV would pay. Once the contract is entered into it's like any other contract, if want to renegotiate with the PAC12, great, but they would have to give more of something else. More money or more households.

Also, it's highly common for a network to take a haircut in subscriber fees from a service in exchange for increases in distribution. The philosophy is you charge discounted fees, increase viewers, add new rights deals/quality programming, then have ammo for the next contract to charge more. If the only holdup was distribution fees, the deal would have been done a long time ago.

The conference won't back off on a few issues like distribution for the horrible local networks and such. Especially since the best games are on ESPN/ABC & FOX Sports. There's no incentive for DirecTV to bail out the conference.

Larry Scott is not a television guy, clearly. He made a lot of pie in the sky promises to the schools and is not capable of coming through. So far, the schools seem to have bought into his hype. Makes sense considering how bad the prior commissioner screwed up media deals. Once the schools wise up, Larry is out.
lawduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by lawduck »

ncduck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:You also have to blame DirecTV because they want a lower price than every other satellite/cable who've reached a deal with the Pac-12. If the Pac-12 does that, then they would have to renegotiate with every other service, which likely would mean lower revenue streams.
That's false. The subscriber fees are very tightly held. Anything you hear online or elsewhere is a guess or guesstimate at best. DirecTV doesn't have real info on fees being charged other providers. Other providers don't have info on what DirecTV would pay. Once the contract is entered into it's like any other contract, if want to renegotiate with the PAC12, great, but they would have to give more of something else. More money or more households.
I think you're wrong about that. From everything I've read, the network's agreements with the other carriers have Most Favored Nation provisions in them.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

I realize its complicated and I have no clue about all the details involved but this:
The fact remains that the Pac-12 Network lags far behind their rivals in distribution. (SEC Network — 69.1 million homes; Big Ten Network — 62 million; P12N — 12.3 million.) That's another sore spot for fans.

Scott and the league's presidents have resisted partnering with ESPN (like the SEC) or FOX (like the Big Ten) and rejected a proposal from AT&T to win greater distribution for P12N. Is it better to own 100 percent of a channel that has 12.3 million subscribers or own 50 percent of a channel that reaches three or four or five times that many?
I am also one of the affected. Living in Alabama, and a 3 year DTV customer, some weeks the P-12 Network is the only option I have and as long as Scott digs his heels in year after year, thats another year I can only watch Duck games if they are on ESPN, FS1 etc.....And if you have a case where the Ducks are having a "down" year (meaning they lose a game or two), they pull Duck games from the larger television spots and its bumped down to P-12 Network and I'm just SOL. I wish he would just get it done already.

P.S. Larry Scott, your a moron because I'm not asking for anything free, I'M WILLING TO PAY MONEY FOR THE P-12 NETWORK AND YOUR SO BUSY FIGHTING WITH DTV YOUR NOT GETTING A DIME FROM ME AND THE POSSIBLE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF OTHER PAC-12 FANS WHO DON'T LIVE ON THE WEST COAST.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

QuackininBama wrote:I realize its complicated and I have no clue about all the details involved but this:
The fact remains that the Pac-12 Network lags far behind their rivals in distribution. (SEC Network — 69.1 million homes; Big Ten Network — 62 million; P12N — 12.3 million.) That's another sore spot for fans.

Scott and the league's presidents have resisted partnering with ESPN (like the SEC) or FOX (like the Big Ten) and rejected a proposal from AT&T to win greater distribution for P12N. Is it better to own 100 percent of a channel that has 12.3 million subscribers or own 50 percent of a channel that reaches three or four or five times that many?
I am also one of the affected. Living in Alabama, and a 3 year DTV customer, some weeks the P-12 Network is the only option I have and as long as Scott digs his heels in year after year, thats another year I can only watch Duck games if they are on ESPN, FS1 etc.....And if you have a case where the Ducks are having a "down" year (meaning they lose a game or two), they pull Duck games from the larger television spots and its bumped down to P-12 Network and I'm just SOL. I wish he would just get it done already.

P.S. Larry Scott, your a moron because I'm not asking for anything free, I'M WILLING TO PAY MONEY FOR THE P-12 NETWORK AND YOUR SO BUSY FIGHTING WITH DTV YOUR NOT GETTING A DIME FROM ME AND THE POSSIBLE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF OTHER PAC-12 FANS WHO DON'T LIVE ON THE WEST COAST.
Get Dishnetwork. I'm guessing you are a NFL fan and won't part with DTV for that reason. I like the NFL too, but love the Ducks far more, so I choose to use Dish for that reason. You have options but set your priorities different than I do, to each their own.
Larry Scott is far from a moron. He has put more money into the schools athletic departments allowing them to compete especially the OSU's and WSU's.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I switched to dish, but right now they are fighting with Fox and NFL network. Hope they get that fixed before football season, or I'll have to switch to Comcast, and I hate Comcast.
Duck07
All-American

Re: Larry Scott still

Post by Duck07 »

duckduckgoose wrote:
QuackininBama wrote:I realize its complicated and I have no clue about all the details involved but this:

Get Dishnetwork. I'm guessing you are a NFL fan and won't part with DTV for that reason. I like the NFL too, but love the Ducks far more, so I choose to use Dish for that reason. You have options but set your priorities different than I do, to each their own.
Larry Scott is far from a moron. He has put more money into the schools athletic departments allowing them to compete especially the OSU's and WSU's.

Except OS and WSU were actually better off on the football field 15+ years ago than they are today. The grandiosity of college athletics is getting absurd and those schools will never have the same financial backing as other places. They might be making more than they were, but they are in no better spot or even worse because their competitors have seen their budgets rise even more. So Bill Moos got some facility upgrades done but the cost of retaining coaches has outpaced what they bring in.

Tom Hansen was so bad that we think Larry Scott is some godsend yet both botched the tv deals.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I have dish network and am thankful for them having the Pac 12 network. I would not have them if they didn't. I think instead of solely pointing fingers at Larry Scott should point it at both of them . Just a guess but I am guessing direct tv probably wants a cheaper price than dish.... to get the pac 12 network and instead of giving in to them Larry Scott has told them no go. I do not know but in business often times both parties are at fault for business disagreements... just like in divorce most often both parties are responsible for it. I would point fingers at both of them for not getting the deal worked out instead of solely putting the blame on Larry Scott. I would also consider switching to dish until they get it resolved.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

We should take advantage of an app like Periscope this coming season for those of us who can't get games on TV. If anyone had a tripod, we could do our own undetectable telecast. :)

I Periscoped the end of a Blazer game for my sister in Alaska earlier this year, but I wouldn't want to stand in front of my TV holding up my phone through an entire football game lol.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

lawduck wrote:
ncduck wrote:
I think you're wrong about that. From everything I've read, the network's agreements with the other carriers have Most Favored Nation provisions in them.
What/where have you read that? Considering the reported fees are nearly always inaccurate, it would be mighty difficult to prove a MFN. When I worked at a prior national cable network, I regularly received updates on fee/distribution adjustments when these deals would come up. No network gets the same money from all providers.

Mid-deal renegotiations with sports networks almost only happen when a network gets or loses highly valued content rights deals. Even then, it's an arm-wrestle.

From what I've heard, DirecTV is 100% against paying fees for all of those regional networks. Especially when they only get crap games.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Duck07 wrote:
duckduckgoose wrote:

Except OS and WSU were actually better off on the football field 15+ years ago than they are today. The grandiosity of college athletics is getting absurd and those schools will never have the same financial backing as other places. They might be making more than they were, but they are in no better spot or even worse because their competitors have seen their budgets rise even more. So Bill Moos got some facility upgrades done but the cost of retaining coaches has outpaced what they bring in.

Tom Hansen was so bad that we think Larry Scott is some godsend yet both botched the tv deals.
At the time of the deal, the Pac12 television deal was the best one around. Which was amazing since the fan base was far inferior to say the SEC or Big 10. If the west coast was as rabid for college football as the south and Midwest I'm pretty sure Dtv would be more likely to add Pac12net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lawduck
Two Star Recruit

Post by lawduck »

ncduck wrote:
lawduck wrote:
ncduck wrote:
What/where have you read that? Considering the reported fees are nearly always inaccurate, it would be mighty difficult to prove a MFN. When I worked at a prior national cable network, I regularly received updates on fee/distribution adjustments when these deals would come up. No network gets the same money from all providers.

Mid-deal renegotiations with sports networks almost only happen when a network gets or loses highly valued content rights deals. Even then, it's an arm-wrestle.

From what I've heard, DirecTV is 100% against paying fees for all of those regional networks. Especially when they only get crap games.
"The conference "currently uses what’s called a Most Favored Nation agreement, which gives any partner access to the best subscription rates available." http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/ ... ac12.aspx?
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

lawduck wrote:
ncduck wrote:
lawduck wrote:
ncduck wrote:

"The conference "currently uses what’s called a Most Favored Nation agreement, which gives any partner access to the best subscription rates available." http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/ ... ac12.aspx?
Thanks for sharing this. Interesting negotiating strategy to use it. I would be curious to hear what the Conference is thinking here. Feels like they're long term distribution strategy was very poor. Certainly not all providers would see equal value in carrying the network. Why would they think it's smart to give everyone the same deal. Just FYI, my takes are based on conversations with a department coworker that deals directly with folks at the network and colored by my career experience in sports tv. One thing is clear, the conference would have been better off partnering with FOX or ESPN and not starting the regional networks. Their faulty math gave them a bum steer.