StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Interviews from Pac-12 media days

Post by StevensTechU »

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Interviews from Pac-12 media days

Post by StevensTechU »

From Ragin's interview: DeQuan McDowell (LB) recently awarded a scholarship.

Hadn't heard that before.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

StevensTechU wrote:From Ragin's interview: DeQuan McDowell (LB) recently awarded a scholarship.
McDowell has received a lot of praise in the practice reports since arriving, so not that surprising I guess.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

3rd in the Pac 12 north.... if that is indeed the case and we are behind Stanford and Washington.... how hot will Helfrich's seat be at the end of the season. I can not conceive of Oregon finishing 3rd in the north... I would consider it a bad season for Oregon and maybe media is right... the time has come for Oregon to settle back in being middle of the road conference team. I hope that is not the case.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:maybe media is right... the time has come for Oregon to settle back in being middle of the road conference team.
Well if you say it every year for 6-7 years, you're bound to appear right maybe once, right?

Could you imagine if the same narrative ("They're gonna fall back to a middle tier team") was used against USC? We'd be more right than wrong!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:3rd in the Pac 12 north.... if that is indeed the case and we are behind Stanford and Washington.... how hot will Helfrich's seat be at the end of the season. I can not conceive of Oregon finishing 3rd in the north... I would consider it a bad season for Oregon and maybe media is right... the time has come for Oregon to settle back in being middle of the road conference team. I hope that is not the case.

It's not gonna happen.
John 3:36
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I don't see it happening... I think Oregon will show they are far from dead and still serious contender for conference title. I am just merely speculating that if the media is right... I would suspect Helfrich be under considerable pressure to step down... losing and being middle of the Pac no longer acceptable.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I don't see it happening... I think Oregon will show they are far from dead and still serious contender for conference title. I am just merely speculating that if the media is right... I would suspect Helfrich be under considerable pressure to step down... losing and being middle of the Pac no longer acceptable.
IMO, the media is rarely right, shock jocks wanting site hits. How many years have the media had the Huskies returning to the glory days in pre season polls? Stanford is always tough, it will be the Ducks and Stanford battling it out for the North....... For the South??? UCLA?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I don't see it happening either, but we've seen how helpless Oregon can be with a world of skill position talent, but an incompetent QB (and/or center).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

In regards to the center.... the whole fiasco and it being allowed to continue is on Helfrich... the country could see and the fans could see that the center had the yips but yet Helfrich did nothing. He could have sat him for a series or two... let him refocus or relax... but didn't do any of that and it became a mental thing that Helfrich chose to do nothing. Doing nothing allowed it to continue. Nobody but Helfrich to blame for allowing it to continue. Playing center is a huge deal and very difficult... I never played football competitively but know its a difficult position. I respect the skill those who play center and play it well. Most often you will see coaches sit a guy if having an issue.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:In regards to the center.... the whole fiasco and it being allowed to continue is on Helfrich... the country could see and the fans could see that the center had the yips but yet Helfrich did nothing. He could have sat him for a series or two... let him refocus or relax... but didn't do any of that and it became a mental thing that Helfrich chose to do nothing. Doing nothing allowed it to continue. Nobody but Helfrich to blame for allowing it to continue. Playing center is a huge deal and very difficult... I never played football competitively but know its a difficult position. I respect the skill those who play center and play it well. Most often you will see coaches sit a guy if having an issue.
Should he have pulled Hanson's redshirt for a half of a meaningless bowl game?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Could have moved qb under center... that may go against our philosophy of operating out of shotgun... or something... something... is better than nothing.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Could have moved qb under center... that may go against our philosophy of operating out of shotgun... or something... something... is better than nothing.
Except when you practice 100% out of gun going under center is a lot more dangerous. You end up looking like Stanford did against us at the end of the game and fumbling the exchange is more dangerous as the ball can go forward and into a defenders arms as compared to gun the ball goes backwards giving our team a higher percentage of recovering the ball.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Could have moved qb under center... that may go against our philosophy of operating out of shotgun... or something... something... is better than nothing.
I agree you don't burn a redshirt in the last half of the last game even if things are falling apart. As stated, what would you be saying about Helf if he had moved the QB under center and disaster struck? You do what Helf did stay the course don't make any rash decisions and hope to hold out....... Then replace DP.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I thought the Alamo was a big joke. It would've been a fun, competitive game if VA and Trevon Boykin both played all 4 quarters, but when that didn't happen it became a glorified scrimmage. To be honest, I think losing the big lead did more good than bad because it lit a fire under Helfrich. If Oregon wins that game, we're still talking about Don Pellum as defensive coordinator and probably a lot less optimistic about 2016.