2016 Predictions - Receiving Yards

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

2016 Predictions - Receiving Yards

Post by StevensTechU »

With the season quickly approaching (YES!), I thought it would be fun to make some predictions on stats for the season. First up- Who leads the team in catching the ball?

Feel free to post your predictions on who gets the majority of the targets in 2016, both for WRs and for TEs, but preferably excluding RBs, because dump-offs are boring.

Below are the 2015 stats from the leading WRs and TEs to help.

Bralon Addison - 63 catches - 804 yds - 62 yds per game)
Darren Carrington - 32 catches - 609 yds - 87 yds per game
Dwayne Stanford - 30 catches - 463 yds - 36 yds per game
Charles Nelson - 17 catches - 270 yds - 23 yds per game
Evan Bayliss - 16 catches - 229 yds - 18 yds per game

Total WR Catches/Yards: 172/2,511
Total TE Catches/Yards: 21/268

[2014 - Pharoah Brown recorded 25 catches for 420 yards]
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Re: 2016 Predictions - Receiving Yards

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Brown will lead the team with 45 catches and 750 yards. Too many targets for anyone to get 1000 yards.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Here's my own prediction:

1. Darren Carrington - 55-65 catches - 900 yds
2a. Dwayne Stanford - 30-35 catches - 500 yds
2b. Pharaoh Brown - 30-35 catches - 500 yds
4. Charles Nelson - 25-30 catches - 550 yds
5. Jalen Brown & Dillon Mitchell - 15-20 catches combined - 200 yds

I'd be stoked if DC could crack 1,000 yards on the season, but it's going to be a challenge with all the other targets and how the staff designs their game plans to focus on a particular guy each week, especially when Brown, Nelson, and Stanford could all be top targets for other teams in the Pac-12. I have Pharaoh getting more catches than he did in Mariota's last year because I think he'll be a safety valve for Prukop, but I do think his production will mean significantly less from Bayliss.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Here's my own prediction:

I'd be stoked if DC could crack 1,000 yards on the season, but it's going to be a challenge with all the other targets and how the staff designs their game plans to focus on a particular guy each week, especially when Brown, Nelson, and Stanford could all be top targets for other teams in the Pac-12. I have Pharaoh getting more catches than he did in Mariota's last year because I think he'll be a safety valve for Prukop, but I do think his production will mean significantly less from Bayliss.

It's kind of hard to even guess, especially without even knowing who the QB is going to be. I do think that Carrington will lead the team in catches. I wish there was a way that Brown and Mitchell could redshirt. There's just so much depth that it would be great to have them waiting in the wings, but I can see that it may be hard to do.

Someone that's not on the the list is Devon Allen. I'd expect him to get his share, as well.
John 3:36
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

SuperDuck wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:Here's my own prediction:

It's kind of hard to even guess, especially without even knowing who the QB is going to be. I do think that Carrington will lead the team in catches. I wish there was a way that Brown and Mitchell could redshirt. There's just so much depth that it would be great to have them waiting in the wings, but I can see that it may be hard to do.

Someone that's not on the the list is Devon Allen. I'd expect him to get his share, as well.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Hopefully Carrington can come close to developing the same sort of chemistry with the QB this season as he had with Vernon last season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

SuperDuck wrote: It's kind of hard to even guess, especially without even knowing who the QB is going to be. I do think that Carrington will lead the team in catches. I wish there was a way that Brown and Mitchell could redshirt. There's just so much depth that it would be great to have them waiting in the wings, but I can see that it may be hard to do.

Re: Redshirts. Both Jalen Brown and Dillon Mitchell will be prominent pieces in the offense in 2017, so both definitely need to get some game action this year, IMO. Same goes for Alex Ofodile, who was a big-time recruit in 2015 that will be coming off his redshirt season. Aside from that, Mitchell looks like a guy who very well could be 3-and-done, so it's extra important to get him on the field as soon as he can contribute.

Re: Devon Allen. I am taking into consideration that he likely won't be prepared to step on the field until a quarter of the way through the season.

It's still hard for me to believe that Kirk Merritt chose to transfer. There isn't a lot of depth at the slot position behind Charles Nelson. I'm curious to see if Tony Brooks-James or Taj Griffin slides in there for reps. Dillon Mitchell got used as a TAZR a ton in high school, so it could be a great fit for him, too.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

StevensTechU wrote:
SuperDuck wrote: It's kind of hard to even guess, especially without even knowing who the QB is going to be. I do think that Carrington will lead the team in catches. I wish there was a way that Brown and Mitchell could redshirt. There's just so much depth that it would be great to have them waiting in the wings, but I can see that it may be hard to do.

Re: Redshirts. Both Jalen Brown and Dillon Mitchell will be prominent pieces in the offense in 2017, so both definitely need to get some game action this year, IMO. Same goes for Alex Ofodile, who was a big-time recruit in 2015 that will be coming off his redshirt season. Aside from that, Mitchell looks like a guy who very well could be 3-and-done, so it's extra important to get him on the field as soon as he can contribute.

Re: Devon Allen. I am taking into consideration that he likely won't be prepared to step on the field until a quarter of the way through the season.

It's still hard for me to believe that Kirk Merritt chose to transfer. There isn't a lot of depth at the slot position behind Charles Nelson. I'm curious to see if Tony Brooks-James or Taj Griffin slides in there for reps. Dillon Mitchell got used as a TAZR a ton in high school, so it could be a great fit for him, too.
Regarding Merritt, anyone know if it was actually a family issue or just a homesick type thing? The depth chart seemed to be opening up for him to make an impact this year and with his skill set, he could have been a great asset to the team so hard to believe it was a PT issue.

I do get excited about the thought of TBJ and Taj in the slot though. Motion one of them across and run a triple read option with Royce and whichever of them is in the game. Oy the possibilities are endless.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Duck24 wrote:
Regarding Merritt, anyone know if it was actually a family issue or just a homesick type thing? The depth chart seemed to be opening up for him to make an impact this year and with his skill set, he could have been a great asset to the team so hard to believe it was a PT issue.

I do get excited about the thought of TBJ and Taj in the slot though. Motion one of them across and run a triple read option with Royce and whichever of them is in the game. Oy the possibilities are endless.
Did Mitchell's outstanding showing in spring have anything to do with his departure?
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:Brown will lead the team with 45 catches and 750 yards. Too many targets for anyone to get 1000 yards.
That's pretty bold, even with a healthy Brown, I don't think Oregon will utilize their TE that much.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
thomas time
Senior

Post by thomas time »

Jalen Brown already redshirted so he can't for sure
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

thomas time wrote:Jalen Brown already redshirted so he can't for sure
Yep. I just noticed that on the roster yesterday.
John 3:36