QB Competition

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

TualatinDuck
Senior

QB Competition

Post by TualatinDuck »

I find it very odd that after 4 days there is barely any mention of Travis Jonsen in the practice reports. Its eerily similar to the Costa/Thomas battle that shocked everyone when Thomas was named the starter.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: QB Competition

Post by StevensTechU »

I think a lot of that has to do with Moseley getting spread more thin by being focused on social media, adding gifs and posting to instagram. Becomes more difficult to keep eyes up take notes on practice.

I'm getting ahead of myself, but I find myself starting to wonder if Prukop starts this year, does Jonsen hold off the two uber talented freshmen Justin Herbert and Terry Wilson next year.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Mosley did the same thing with Costa/Thomas is my point.

Bennet/Mariota was semi similar with Bennet getting most of the attention from the media and Marcus being fairly under the radar but we were getting insider reports that the competition wasnt even close so had an idea Marcus was the guy.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

TualatinDuck wrote:Mosley did the same thing with Costa/Thomas is my point.

Bennet/Mariota was semi similar with Bennet getting most of the attention from the media and Marcus being fairly under the radar but we were getting insider reports that the competition wasnt even close so had an idea Marcus was the guy.

Mosely wasn't working for UO during the DT vs Costa thing. And I don't think to many people really wanted to see Nate win it anyways, given his knee issues. A good stuff wind tears his ACL unforchantly.

As for this year, reports seem to be positive on Prukop, and saying the TJ will be close but the backup.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

buckmarkduck wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:Mosley did the same thing with Costa/Thomas is my point.

Mosely wasn't working for UO during the DT vs Costa thing. And I don't think to many people really wanted to see Nate win it anyways, given his knee issues. A good stuff wind tears his ACL unforchantly.

As for this year, reports seem to be positive on Prukop, and saying the TJ will be close but the backup.

I'll admit it, I was in that camp. Was always a fan of Costa.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Have to keep in mind that Moseley has a big filter on what he writes anymore. He is no longer able to write freely what he sees... He can only report what the university allows him to. I like his reports since no long live in the state... but... too many times have seen things in the report that are mentioned in report not be totally accurate. Last year he raved about Lockie... showing great strides... he might be a great guy.... but... he is not a division one qb.
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

I like Moseley and since he's all we have I read the practice reports. But he's pretty much Bill Hancock- mouths the official line right up until the official line changes, then enthusiastically pitches the changes.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Herbert is a monster. He's the future IMO.

I think Dakota wins it this year and Herbert starts next year.

Go Ducks!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Saw this in reference to whether Herbert and Wilson will push Jonsen to start in 2017.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

If that's the case, I'd almost expect that one would transfer. Competition is great, but when you've got that many guys who are not only good enough to play, but good enough to start at this level, it would be hard to keep them all.
John 3:36
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I won't be surprised if all 3 end up behind Yankoff. But this is a great problem to have, no more relying on transfers, or qbs who shouldn't even be at UO.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

buckmarkduck wrote:I won't be surprised if all 3 end up behind Yankoff. But this is a great problem to have, no more relying on transfers, or qbs who shouldn't even be at UO.
I don't see that happening. Yankoff doesn't enroll until 2018, which means he'll have to unseat whoever is the starter in 2017 of Jonsen, Wilson, or Herbert. Yankoff is realistically looking at waiting until his RS Soph year to play.

There's a part of me rooting for Herbert to get the starting nod, but if it's not Jonsen then I'm going to feel really bad for the guy. He's made huge strides in his game and invested a ludicrous amount of time and money into getting trained outside of team activities. He's really bet on himself and I'd love for him to someday reach the pros.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sounds like Carrington thinks Prukop is starting to separate himself from the other qbs.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Tyson Alger with a brief write up using quotes from Darren Carrington.

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... iver_index
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

buckmarkduck wrote:I won't be surprised if all 3 end up behind Yankoff. But this is a great problem to have, no more relying on transfers, or qbs who shouldn't even be at UO.
Yeah it'll be a good problem next season. We will finally have a 2-3 year starter lined up (hopefully). Someone will transfer after next season.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13