QB Competition

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Re: QB Competition

Post by jimmy12 »

I find it funny how people are already anticipating departures because of competition. Let's let this thing play out. There is a LLLOONNGG way to go. The Ducks were terrible last year outside of VA. They need depth and they seemingly have started to address this issue with talent. Whether this talent translates to wins is a big TBD. I also have a hard time reading about establishing players in the first 3 days of practice.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I remember after Thomas almost brought us back to victory against Boise State how people thought he would be one of the best quarterbacks out of Oregon. He was not all that accurate as a passer. He was a total field general though and had complete control of the offense and knew where players needed to be. He also had some knee injuries of his own. I am not comparing Thomas to Herbert per se... Maybe he really is good.... but maybe he is just being hyped by a player that... for whatever reason wants him to get some hype. Right now... I am more curious about Prukop vs Jonsen.. I will support whoever the coaches think is the better of the two.

Some have brought up Nate Costa.... I was a big fan of his... I felt sorry he had suffered the knee issues. He seemed like a really neat guy... and there was an extra point against hmmm Arizona I think that without him not sure kicker would have made. It was a bad snap and a difficult snap for the holder to get down. He is one of those guys you feel bad for and wonder... what would have been without the knee injuries. I think minus the injuries he would have won the qb battle. I wonder what he is doing nowadays. I know at one time he was helping at Oregon.. I forget what his title was... and I know he was a police officer for Springfield at one time.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

jimmy12 wrote:I find it funny how people are already anticipating departures because of competition. Let's let this thing play out. There is a LLLOONNGG way to go. The Ducks were terrible last year outside of VA. They need depth and they seemingly have started to address this issue with talent. Whether this talent translates to wins is a big TBD. I also have a hard time reading about establishing players in the first 3 days of practice.
Terry Wilson FR
Justin Herbert FR
Travis Jonsen SO
Colson Yankoff FR

Someone will definitely leave after the 2017 season. All four of those guys could potentially start on a big 6 team. Couldn't say the same about Alie or Lockie.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
Terry Wilson FR
Justin Herbert FR
Travis Jonsen SO
Colson Yankoff FR

Someone will definitely leave after the 2017 season. All four of those guys could potentially start on a big 6 team. Couldn't say the same about Alie or Lockie.
In 2017-
Wilson rFr
Herbert rFr
Jonsen rSo
Yankoff Senior in high school
Wildcat-Duck
One Star Recruit

Post by Wildcat-Duck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I remember after Thomas almost brought us back to victory against Boise State how people thought he would be one of the best quarterbacks out of Oregon. He was not all that accurate as a passer. He was a total field general though and had complete control of the offense and knew where players needed to be.
Darron Thomas laying out Vontaze Burfict (and standing over him) is one of my favorite Duck highlights...also lead blocking on LMJ reverse field touchdown in Tennessee.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
Terry Wilson FR
Justin Herbert FR
Travis Jonsen SO
Colson Yankoff FR

In 2017-
Wilson rFr
Herbert rFr
Jonsen rSo
Yankoff Senior in high school
Forgot Yankoff is class of 18. I'd imagine Oregon would another QB in this class.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

After today's (8/16/16) practice report from Moseley (http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/8/16/f ... ug-16.aspx), particularly the paragraph I've copied below -- along with the comments from Carrington, et al., the other day -- I have a feeling that we'll start seeing a few posts on this board that suggest that in fact it will be Herbert as the primary backup over Jonsen this season :shock: . Not me, though :) .
Of the nine offensive touchdown possessions, four were directed by graduate transfer Dakota Prukop, "the most consistent so far" of the Ducks' four quarterbacks, Helfrich said. True freshman Justin Herbert directed four other touchdown drives, and redshirt freshman Travis Jonsen produced one on what he called "not my best day."
wlduck
Sophomore

Post by wlduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I remember after Thomas almost brought us back to victory against Boise State how people thought he would be one of the best quarterbacks out of Oregon. He was not all that accurate as a passer. He was a total field general though and had complete control of the offense and knew where players needed to be. He also had some knee injuries of his own. I am not comparing Thomas to Herbert per se... Maybe he really is good.... but maybe he is just being hyped by a player that... for whatever reason wants him to get some hype. Right now... I am more curious about Prukop vs Jonsen.. I will support whoever the coaches think is the better of the two.

Some have brought up Nate Costa.... I was a big fan of his... I felt sorry he had suffered the knee issues. He seemed like a really neat guy... and there was an extra point against hmmm Arizona I think that without him not sure kicker would have made. It was a bad snap and a difficult snap for the holder to get down. He is one of those guys you feel bad for and wonder... what would have been without the knee injuries. I think minus the injuries he would have won the qb battle. I wonder what he is doing nowadays. I know at one time he was helping at Oregon.. I forget what his title was... and I know he was a police officer for Springfield at one time.
I remember walking into Autzen (field level, no questions, no one cared- different times) to watch a scrimmage in spring of 07. They were just installing Chips offense, so both Nate and Dixon ran zone read plays. At that point, Nate was as fast
as Dixon for the first 10 yards or so.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ 07 would have been a very different season if nate had remained healthy prior to Dennis going down.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Greenblood wrote:After today's (8/16/16) practice report from Moseley (http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/8/16/f ... ug-16.aspx), particularly the paragraph I've copied below -- along with the comments from Carrington, et al., the other day -- I have a feeling that we'll start seeing a few posts on this board that suggest that in fact it will be Herbert as the primary backup over Jonsen this season :shock: . Not me, though :) .
Of the nine offensive touchdown possessions, four were directed by graduate transfer Dakota Prukop, "the most consistent so far" of the Ducks' four quarterbacks, Helfrich said. True freshman Justin Herbert directed four other touchdown drives, and redshirt freshman Travis Jonsen produced one on what he called "not my best day."
You have to think about who Herbert and Jonsen were going against. Jonsen was likely facing the 1st and 2nd team defense while Herbert was going against 3rd and 4th string guys who'll make up the scout team this season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I wouldn't dig graves for Jonsen and Wilson quite yet. Here's why.

Looking at Jonsen as a redshirt freshman in the spring game compared to Jonsen (Waller) in high school is night and day. In approximately a year and a half, the kid has made strides much bigger than I thought he would. Though he's older than Herbert, one could argue that he's still ascending at a faster rate. If he makes anywhere near as big of a jump from now to fall camp 2017* as he did in the last year, watch out.

We should have expected Herbert to come in ahead of Terry Wilson. Looking at their high school tape and their high school statistics, Herbert was further along in his development as a QB (some poster who believes Oklahoma 5A is better than Oregon 6A disagrees, but everyone else should take this as truth). Wilson still has an advantage on Herbert in terms of running ability and has very good arm talent (kind of the reverse of Herbert whose arm talent is amazing and running ability is good), so as he learns to better command an offense, he could become very good.

If I'm a betting man, I put my money on Herbert to start 2017* at this point, but Jonsen and Wilson have so much ability that you can't rule them out.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Thanks for those points, gy and STU, supporting my view that it would be WAY premature to jump to any such conclusions, as much as it's nice to continue to hear that Herbert is excelling. I would also add that it has to be a given that Jonsen is miles ahead of Herbert in terms of overall knowledge of the offense.

Just one practice.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Of course, it's no longer "premature" as some idiot who posted above said (oh, wait . . . ) and we don't need to read between the lines anymore: Herbert could be the #2 QB this season, plain and simple. Here are O-Live and RG articles from yesterday that continue that drumbeat, this time with quotes from Yost:

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... iver_index
http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/foot ... h.html.csp

At least Yost mentioned that Herbert has been slowing down a bit of late due to being given more info to process. I guess it's good to know that Herbert is actually human and not from Krypton.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Greenblood wrote:Of course, it's no longer "premature" as some idiot who posted above said (oh, wait . . . ) and we don't need to read between the lines anymore: Herbert could be the #2 QB this season, plain and simple.
Equally big news: Jeff Lockie will be no higher than 4th on the depth chart :D
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

4th in quarterback rotation hmmm... please let us not have a repeat of the year went through 5 qbs