QB Competition

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: QB Competition

Post by Greenblood »

Today's Moseley practice report (http://www.goducks.com/news/2016/8/23/f ... ug-23.aspx) seems to continue to show Herbert being pretty effective. Every Duck who has been regularly practicing at the QB position is mentioned except Jonsen. I don't want to read too much into that last fact; but it does seem a little odd considering that Moseley is assuredly aware that the QB competition, at least for the #2 spot, has become very big news, and it seems like he would at least mention something about him.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Post by QuackininBama »

Yea and they said last year that the VA/Lockie competition was neck and neck..................BBBWWWAAHHAAHAHA
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

I bet the Herbert hype is real. Also, I don't think anyone at this point expects anyone, but Prukop to start.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

UOducksTK1 wrote:I bet the Herbert hype is real. Also, I don't think anyone at this point expects anyone, but Prukop to start.
It's pretty clear that Prukop separated himself from Jonsen about a week into fall camp. Only thing left is to decide who's the main back-up.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

My prediction about the QBs when the depth chart is released (later today, I assume) is that Prukop will be #1 and that Jonsen and Herbert will be "co-" #2s. I'm figuring that the plan for Wilson is to redshirt this season.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

Anyone have insight on Jonsen? Excited to see Herbert, but shocked that Jonsen is behind him.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

AutzenMember wrote:Anyone have insight on Jonsen? Excited to see Herbert, but shocked that Jonsen is behind him.
What kind of insight are you looking for specifically? He's an uber athletic kid who changed his throwing motion to be much more accurate and consistent, but he still needs to keep working to become that field general that has pocket presence and knows where to go with the football. Those latter skills (the 'smarts' element of the position) come more easily to others, and it appears Herbert's used his experience in the Sheldon offense to transition quickly.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Even if Herbert comes in next Saturday after a big lead... the playbook will be very vanilla and will not be able to get a good grasp of his play. That goes for Travis as well. I am curious to see Herbert play. That kind of size playing qb will have some distinct advantages... but.. he might be easily caught when trying to run as well. Guys in college a lot faster than they are in hs.
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

Does anyone know how fast Herbert is? Faster than Da. Thomas? I know Thomas wasn't very fast for a dual threat but I am just using him as a measuring stick.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Who actually knows how fast he is. Recruiting websites say 4.7, but lots of places lie about that stuff. I'd assume he is as fast or faster than DT, who in reality would have lost a strait line race to Fisher.
duck541
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck541 »

Been awhile since I posted any rumors, but met up for a beer last night with the guy who used to keep me in the know before he moved cross country.

Prukop just isn't consistent with his accuracy, and is probably 3rd or 4th in terms of natural arm talent, but trumps everyone with experience. The Herbert hype is real, but he's still learning the playbook and lacks experience. If he was here for spring practice he might have won the job. If Prukop doesn't shine from the get go don't be surprised to see Herbert get a lot of mop up minutes to get him some experience. My buddy says he wouldn't be surprised if Herbert takes over the starting job at some point. Coaches and players can't stop raving about his talent.

A few other tidbits:
O line is ahead of schedule, especially in the run game. The young guys have progressed faster than expected.

Feeling is the D is a work in progress but should be much improved. Lots of individual talent, but still gelling as a unit. Hoke is intense! And he gets on guys real quick. Took some getting used to but players seem to be responding. Hoke loves our DEs, lots of talent in different ways. Guys will rotate frequently.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Bet people didn't see this coming:
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

greenyellow wrote:Bet people didn't see this coming:
That's surprising.. wasn't there a rumor last year when Jensen came in last year that he was a bit underwhelming and needed to be coached up a bit ?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

He was always someone who was a bit raw as he'd only played QB in HS for about 2 years and needed a lot of work on his mechanics. Now it looks like he's going to need a lot more work on his mental game.
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

My enthusiasm level for Oregon football hasn't been this low in a long time. I am excited by the prospect that Helfrich will be fired after this season. Should've been gone after last year. The guy is just a wishy-washy schmuck and certainly not a leader of men.