QB Competition

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: QB Competition

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

If the pecking order holds to be true I would seriously expect Travis to transfer out. I do not see any reason why he would stay. He has used his redshirt year... and is now behind a couple of freshman. I am sure he wants to show he can play at a high level and apparently will not get that opportunity while at Oregon. I know if it was my kid and he believed he could play and wanted to transfer I would support him. I am not saying the coaches are wrong... they have seen the practices.. but I do feel sorry for Travis who has spent a lot of time invested in the program.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

Is wasn't that long ago when the Ducks were down to their 5th string QB due to injuries....and he did pretty well leading the Ducks (J. Masoli). I hope that Jonson stays and finishes what he's started....because you never know when your number might get called.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

What a great post. It looks like the hope is that Prukop turns into a Darron Thomas-like game manager and can get the ball to the skill players. If the O-line is coming along in the run game as well as your friend says, then we can hope for a James-Barner type of rushing attack with some passing to keep the defense honest. If we can add a decent defense to that mix, I will take it. It's actually a way better plan than relying on one guy to make it all happen like last year with Adams.

Watching the ascendance of Herbert up the depth chart has been encouraging. It's nice to know the coaches are open to unexpected talent and willing to switch things up when a new guy's skill becomes apparent.

duck541 wrote:Been awhile since I posted any rumors, but met up for a beer last night with the guy who used to keep me in the know before he moved cross country.

Prukop just isn't consistent with his accuracy, and is probably 3rd or 4th in terms of natural arm talent, but trumps everyone with experience. The Herbert hype is real, but he's still learning the playbook and lacks experience. If he was here for spring practice he might have won the job. If Prukop doesn't shine from the get go don't be surprised to see Herbert get a lot of mop up minutes to get him some experience. My buddy says he wouldn't be surprised if Herbert takes over the starting job at some point. Coaches and players can't stop raving about his talent.

A few other tidbits:
O line is ahead of schedule, especially in the run game. The young guys have progressed faster than expected.

Feeling is the D is a work in progress but should be much improved. Lots of individual talent, but still gelling as a unit. Hoke is intense! And he gets on guys real quick. Took some getting used to but players seem to be responding. Hoke loves our DEs, lots of talent in different ways. Guys will rotate frequently.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I have zero problems with our defensive coordinator being intense and getting after guys for either being out of position or missing tackles or whatever. Our defense the last few years been anything but intense. If our defense takes on the mindset of the coordinator in this case then it will be quite refreshing to see.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:What a great post. It looks like the hope is that Prukop turns into a Darron Thomas-like game manager and can get the ball to the skill players. If the O-line is coming along in the run game as well as your friend says, then we can hope for a James-Barner type of rushing attack with some passing to keep the defense honest. If we can add a decent defense to that mix, I will take it. It's actually a way better plan than relying on one guy to make it all happen like last year with Adams.

Watching the ascendance of Herbert up the depth chart has been encouraging. It's nice to know the coaches are open to unexpected talent and willing to switch things up when a new guy's skill becomes apparent.

duck541 wrote:Been awhile since I posted any rumors, but met up for a beer last night with the guy who used to keep me in the know before he moved cross country.

Prukop just isn't consistent with his accuracy, and is probably 3rd or 4th in terms of natural arm talent, but trumps everyone with experience. The Herbert hype is real, but he's still learning the playbook and lacks experience. If he was here for spring practice he might have won the job. If Prukop doesn't shine from the get go don't be surprised to see Herbert get a lot of mop up minutes to get him some experience. My buddy says he wouldn't be surprised if Herbert takes over the starting job at some point. Coaches and players can't stop raving about his talent.

A few other tidbits:
O line is ahead of schedule, especially in the run game. The young guys have progressed faster than expected.

Feeling is the D is a work in progress but should be much improved. Lots of individual talent, but still gelling as a unit. Hoke is intense! And he gets on guys real quick. Took some getting used to but players seem to be responding. Hoke loves our DEs, lots of talent in different ways. Guys will rotate frequently.

I don't get this part, a James-Barner like rushing attack? Royce is already better than both those guys.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phalanx wrote:What a great post. It looks like the hope is that Prukop turns into a Darron Thomas-like game manager and can get the ball to the skill players. If the O-line is coming along in the run game as well as your friend says, then we can hope for a James-Barner type of rushing attack with some passing to keep the defense honest. If we can add a decent defense to that mix, I will take it. It's actually a way better plan than relying on one guy to make it all happen like last year with Adams.

A few other tidbits:

So your description sounds like he'll be like Alex Smith. An above average runner, avg arm who hopefully makes the right reads.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

^^^ I think the comment was meant to say that, if the OL is as strong in the run game as he was told, we will have an established enough run game between Freeman, TBJ, Benoit and Taj that Prukop won't have to win the games with his arm. I don't think it was meant to be a comparison between Royce and those two.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

buckmarkduck wrote:

I don't get this part, a James-Barner like rushing attack? Royce is already better than both those guys.
It would be a fun argument to have, but not really my point, which ran more along the lines of focusing on a rushing attack a little more than a passing attack, much like during the James/Barner era.

P.S. I don't think Royce is a slam-dunk over LaMichael in college- at least not yet. I do think he will have a much better NFL career though, at least I hope he does. Royce has the potential to be the best NFL RB ever to come out of Oregon.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

Duck24 wrote:^^^ I think the comment was meant to say that, if the OL is as strong in the run game as he was told, we will have an established enough run game between Freeman, TBJ, Benoit and Taj that Prukop won't have to win the games with his arm. I don't think it was meant to be a comparison between Royce and those two.
Exactly so, thanks.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

rentdodger1 wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:
Sooth wrote:My enthusiasm level for Oregon football hasn't been this low in a long time. I am excited by the prospect that Helfrich will be fired after this season. Should've been gone after last year. The guy is just a wishy-washy schmuck and certainly not a leader of men.
did we have these types of fans 20 years ago?
Many of the duck fans that this guy(Sooth) represents is like the husky fans of the 70's to mid-90's. Spoiled and entitled seeming to forget where the program has come from. Oregon is going to have down years and it is truly amazing that this program has had 1 losing season in going on 23 years. Only 1 team in the history of the Pac 8-10-12 has had a better run the last 10yrs than Oregon. That was USC, they cheated to do it and major probation followed.

Helfrich did not elevate Pellum to DC, it was done for him. The changes he has made this year are his and success or failure will be at his doorstep. At least he accepted responsibility, adapted and made a change. Is the jury still out on him? Sure, but Oregon hasn't even played a game and idiots like the OP have the hatchets out.

Enjoy the ride and let things play out. That is why they play the games.
DP promotion wasn't Helfrich's decision??? What?! Is this Animal farm?
I think Fire Helfrich talk is silly, but we don't need to reinvent history to defend him.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:
Sooth wrote:My enthusiasm level for Oregon football hasn't been this low in a long time. I am excited by the prospect that Helfrich will be fired after this season. Should've been gone after last year. The guy is just a wishy-washy schmuck and certainly not a leader of men.
Many of the duck fans that this guy(Sooth) represents is like the husky fans of the 70's to mid-90's. Spoiled and entitled seeming to forget where the program has come from. Oregon is going to have down years and it is truly amazing that this program has had 1 losing season in going on 23 years. Only 1 team in the history of the Pac 8-10-12 has had a better run the last 10yrs than Oregon. That was USC, they cheated to do it and major probation followed.

Helfrich did not elevate Pellum to DC, it was done for him. The changes he has made this year are his and success or failure will be at his doorstep. At least he accepted responsibility, adapted and made a change. Is the jury still out on him? Sure, but Oregon hasn't even played a game and idiots like the OP have the hatchets out.

I think Fire Helfrich talk is silly, but we don't need to reinvent history to defend him.
No, The window to play for the national championship was open and the decision was made to stay in house. Without getting into details, that was not a decision that Helfrich made. If you think that is a reinvention of history, well that's your problem. Bottom line it didn't work out.

As far as defending Helfrich....I don't, his record will speak for him and I would rather root for an Oregon coach to succeed than fail.

BTW-If your going to reference George Orwell-Nobody wants to go back to Oregon football as it was in 1984.
Last edited by rentdodger1 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

duck541 wrote:Prukop just isn't consistent with his accuracy, and is probably 3rd or 4th in terms of natural arm talent, but trumps everyone with experience.
This is one of the least encouraging things I have read on here in a while. :?
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Rentdodger- you are 100% correct. The decision to promote Pellum was NOT Helfrich's. And like RD said, the details are not important now. It didn't work and a change was made.

Time to move on. It's a new season and we'll see how it works out.

The other thing I will say and like the Pellum thing the details are not imply.rtant now but no one was disappointed Frost left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

rentdodger1 wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:
rentdodger1 wrote:
mdm0302 wrote:

No, The window to play for the national championship was open and the decision was made to stay in house. Without getting into details, that was not a decision that Helfrich made. If you think that is a reinvention of history, well that's your problem. Bottom line it didn't work out.

As far as defending Helfrich....I don't, his record will speak for him and I would rather root for an Oregon coach to succeed than fail.

BTW-If your going to reference George Orwell-Nobody wants to go back to Oregon football as it was in 1984.
Haha haha! Yes. Let's leave 1984 in the past.

Do you have a link to an article? It's this first I'm hearing this. So why did belt interview so many people if he wasn't the decision maker? Really doesn't make sense to me.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think the University at least on the outside has to look like they are considering anyone putting in for the position. It has something to do with making efforts to possibly hire or promote a minority. I don't think that is the reason Pellum got promoted... but anytime is a position open they have to give the appearance are looking at all candidates even if they have already internally decided who they are hiring. The Pellum hire has been speculated more than once was not Helfrich's decision. Interesting since he is the head coach.