Reading Between the Lines

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfbfan15
Three Star Recruit

Reading Between the Lines

Post by duckfbfan15 »

It appears from everything I have read and heard that Herbert is the most viable option to be the main backup this season. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him 2nd on the depth chart behind Prukop!

GO HARD, GO OREGON, GO DUCKS!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Re: Reading Between the Lines

Post by buckmarkduck »

Makes you wonder what would have happened if he had shown up for spring.
ducks1311
Three Star Recruit

Post by ducks1311 »

Call me crazy.. but I wouldn't be surprised if he is our starter at some point this year. The "between the lines" hype is how I recall reading about Marcus in practice reports before he ever took a snap!

Total speculation on my part.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

ducks1311 wrote:Call me crazy.. but I wouldn't be surprised if he is our starter at some point this year. The "between the lines" hype is how I recall reading about Marcus in practice reports before he ever took a snap!

Total speculation on my part.
Even if the hype is real. ( which I hope it is. )
I doubt he starts this year unless Prukop is hurt and Jonsen is woeful . I'd say barring injuries and let him redshirt this year, save any potential eligibility and let him learn the playbook similar to the way Marcus was handled.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I seriously doubt he starts a game this year, unless we have some terrible luck health wise.
duck81
One Star Recruit

Post by duck81 »

duckfbfan15 wrote:It appears from everything I have read and heard that Herbert is the most viable option to be the main backup this season. I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him 2nd on the depth chart behind Prukop!
Justin certainly has turned a lot of heads and raised a ton of eyebrows, but from what I have read the plan is still to RS him. A good example of getting ahead of oneself re JH is misreading Moseley's practice report from today. He cites where Justin was in with the 2's, but he also said right before that that Yost has been rotating guys in with different units more lately.

Now, what if at the end of camp the coaches determine that Herbert is clearly ahead of Jonsen? That will be a tough call, but keep in mind that Travis has already RS'd. They also know that with an upcoming 3 way battle for the starting job come next Spring, that the likelihood of one of these young guys transferring shortly after next year's fall camp ends is pretty high. Herbert is more likely to stick around given he's the local boy vs esp Wilson, then Jonsen. Naming Jonsen the back up now is a smarter move by the staff IMO as it keeps him engaged much more and that was his expectation after Spring ball anyway. IMO, unless Justin is simply too good to RS, having Travis be #2 is a smarter move entering this season.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I'd be happier than a pig in you-know-what if Oregon redshirted Herbert, he emerged as the real deal, then stuck around to start for the Ducks for 4 years en route to smashing all the career records.

But that's as crazy as it sounds to speculate. For a few reasons.

If Herbert really does have NFL potential, you're getting 2-3 years of starts out of him, no more. If he wasn't from Eugene, no one would even debate that. So with that being said, it should be taken into consideration that his NFL clock is ticking and it's of no use to the Ducks to waste it with him on the bench.

So the best case scenario is that he redshirts this year and starts for Oregon 2017-2020, but since that's pretty unrealistic, I don't see why getting him game reps this year would be a bad idea to better prepare him for next season and however many after he decides to stick around.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

As I guessed . . . ;) :lol:
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

At least a few of you probably realized that in my post just above I was having some fun with the fact that I "predicted" this kind of thread (on p. 2 of the QB Competition thread), even though I felt that such thoughts were very premature, that Jonsen was pretty solidly entrenched as the #2 QB and Herbert wouldn't challenge that at this stage.

And now I'm wondering if MY thoughts on the issue were premature. Take a look at Moseley's interactive tweets from Aug. 19 (https://mobile.twitter.com/DuckFootball). There are a number that are relevant to this topic, but the one that particularly surprised me was where it appears, in reply to "Matt Halpin"'s question asking Rob if he could see Herbert as a #2 to Prukop this season, that Rob answers, "Certainly."

That's pretty significant (and seemingly in keeping with more of an "openness" from Duck practices this year that some of us have been noticing), even if Mose doesn't know exactly how the coaches are evaluating the QBs. But then some of the tweets -- along with some comments I've seen from Jonsen himself -- seem to indicate that TJ has made a bit of a comeback in the last couple of practices.

There doesn't seem to any question that Herbert is making an incredible impression for a true freshman and has made the #2 QB competition more intriguing than expected. I even remember Carrington in an interview saying something like it was too bad Herbert wasn't here in the spring. Would he be challenging Prukop if he had??

Interesting stuff.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

StevensTechU wrote:I'd be happier than a pig in you-know-what if Oregon redshirted Herbert, he emerged as the real deal, then stuck around to start for the Ducks for 4 years en route to smashing all the career records.

If Herbert really does have NFL potential, you're getting 2-3 years of starts out of him, no more. If he wasn't from Eugene, no one would even debate that. So with that being said, it should be taken into consideration that his NFL clock is ticking and it's of no use to the Ducks to waste it with him on the bench.

So the best case scenario is that he redshirts this year and starts for Oregon 2017-2020, but since that's pretty unrealistic, I don't see why getting him game reps this year would be a bad idea to better prepare him for next season and however many after he decides to stick around.
Well put, I hope he redshirts and then we can see if the hype is true.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

StevensTechU wrote:I'd be happier than a pig in you-know-what if Oregon redshirted Herbert, he emerged as the real deal, then stuck around to start for the Ducks for 4 years en route to smashing all the career records.

Almost every great player that has redshirted leaves early anyways. Might as well let them see the field; it will jump start their development and you get some form of contribution for that year.
duck81
One Star Recruit

Post by duck81 »

Poster over on 247 stated yesterday that a source told him that Prukop and Herbert have been told by Helf that they are #1 & #2. He didn't say when this would be made public, but he said his source is extremely good. He also stated at the same time re Seisay leaving (12-15 hrs before news broke early today). Now if JH indeed is named #2, the question of will he possibly RS isn't a mute one. If they acknowledge that Herbert is the clear #2, but would like to preserve his RS, then the question becomes is Travis good enough to play not just in garbage time as the back-up, but to go in if Dakota goes down. IMO is a guy is named the #2, then RS'ing him doesn't make a lot of sense. The true #2 needs to get game exp in the event he is needed to come in if #1 goes down. By week's end the picture should be a lot clearer.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

That seems odd to me that the coaches would have already established the pecking order with about a week of preseason practices left for guys to make an impression. That wouldn't seem fair (particularly to TJ if what duck81 relates were accurate).
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Greenblood wrote:That seems odd to me that the coaches would have already established the pecking order with about a week of preseason practices left for guys to make an impression. That wouldn't seem fair (particularly to TJ if what duck81 relates were accurate).
I would wager that the depth chart isn't set in stone. As of a point in time -- when the poster on 247 said Herbert was #2 -- it's probably true. But that doesn't mean that if Jonsen outplays Herbert in this week's scrimmage that he can't be thrust back into the second slot.

All in all, these are the reasons coaches close practice. Everything becomes a news story and a distraction when fans and media get hints of info.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

[quote="StevensTechU"][quote="Greenblood"]That seems odd to me that the coaches would have already established the pecking order with about a week of preseason practices left for guys to make an impression. That wouldn't seem fair (particularly to TJ if what duck81 relates were accurate).[/quote]

I would wager that the depth chart isn't set in stone. As of a point in time -- when the poster on 247 said Herbert was #2 -- it's probably true. But that doesn't mean that if Jonsen outplays Herbert in this week's scrimmage that he can't be thrust back into the second slot.

All in all, these are the reasons coaches close practice. Everything becomes a news story and a distraction when fans and media get hints of info.[/quote]

What STU said. Even if Jonsen is behind him today, it's going to continue to be a competition throughout the rest of camp and the entire season. These guys will be fighting for practice reps all year long and they will both benefit from it. Let's not leave out Terry Wilson either as he will continue to develop with each passing practice. Nothing wrong with healthy competition for the backup position, assuming Prukop has locked down the starting spot.