Reading Between the Lines

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: Reading Between the Lines

Post by Greenblood »

Moseley's most recent practice report had this summary on the three primary QBs "in the conversation" at this point:
So far in camp, Jonsen has appeared to be the most dynamic runner in the quarterback competition. On the other hand, Prukop's overall command of the offense and efficiency have been on point, and Herbert's poise and passing ability have been the story of week two.
It actually seemed as if Moseley was almost going out of his way to be as evenhanded as possible in his treatment of the QBs, which made me wonder if he was concerned that he was a bit too effusive in his praise for Herbert in his tweets. In any case, it was a nice little summary and helps sets the stage for the final week of preseason practice. It certainly won't be a bad thing if we have three solid options at QB this season.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Greenblood wrote:Moseley's most recent practice report had this summary on the three primary QBs "in the conversation" at this point:
So far in camp, Jonsen has appeared to be the most dynamic runner in the quarterback competition. On the other hand, Prukop's overall command of the offense and efficiency have been on point, and Herbert's poise and passing ability have been the story of week two.
It actually seemed as if Moseley was almost going out of his way to be as evenhanded as possible in his treatment of the QBs, which made me wonder if he was concerned that he was a bit too effusive in his praise for Herbert in his tweets. In any case, it was a nice little summary and helps sets the stage for the final week of preseason practice. It certainly won't be a bad thing if we have three solid options at QB this season.
Exactly, when last year we didn't even have a solid backup. It makes me a lot more optimistic about this season.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Greenblood wrote:Moseley's most recent practice report had this summary on the three primary QBs "in the conversation" at this point:
After reading his practice reports, I don't think you can really trust much of his evaluation on the QB position. It seems pretty clear that he is only writing down what the university wants to get out. I think it is safe to say that Prukop will start and Jonsen will be the backup but as far as their on field performance is concerned, I don't really trust that Moseley is giving us the full story.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

karlhungis wrote: It seems pretty clear that he is only writing down what the university wants to get out.
All he does is write observations. It's us, the readers, who attempt to extrapolate one sentence to try to draw huge conclusions.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

All he does is write observations. It's us, the readers, who attempt to extrapolate one sentence to try to draw huge conclusions.
I don't think the University is writing his notes for him. I'm sure he knows what he can and can't publish. Rob is a smart guy.

That said, Rob IS the University now. And there were definitely times last season when I could certainly read between the lines of his practice notes for insights on what was really going on with the team. A good example was earlier in the season, when our defense was REALLY struggling, and the way he'd write about the growth of our young corners essentially said, "These guys are getting better, but don't expect the world of them on Saturdays. Not yet."

Rob obviously couldn't come right out and say that. But he definitely wrote with a tone to deliberately temper expectations.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

pezsez1 wrote:
I don't think the University is writing his notes for him. I'm sure he knows what he can and can't publish. Rob is a smart guy.

That said, Rob IS the University now. And there were definitely times last season when I could certainly read between the lines of his practice notes for insights on what was really going on with the team. A good example was earlier in the season, when our defense was REALLY struggling, and the way he'd write about the growth of our young corners essentially said, "These guys are getting better, but don't expect the world of them on Saturdays. Not yet."

Rob obviously couldn't come right out and say that. But he definitely wrote with a tone to deliberately temper expectations.
Exactly. There's two ways to write practice reports.
1. DB snagged an interception as the DE put pressure on the QB.
2. O-Line couldn't block and QB made an awful throw right to the defender.
or
1. RB saw an opening in the defense and ran for a touchdown breaking three tackles along the way while outrunning others.
2. Defense was confused and out of position, then neglected to wrap up and took bad angles.

Both 1 and 2 describe the same situations, but the since the goal of the AD is to sell tickets I go in to these reports assuming we're getting the rosier view. Mosley is simply reporting on the "full" part of the glass. It doesn't to the AD much good to publish our struggles.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I think our struggles last season were pretty clear. The offense was nothing without Adams... and our defense wellllll they just sucked period.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

If Herbert has outplayed Jonsen/Wilson for the #2 job then he should play.

I would question the logic of a football program that competes for conference and national championships and basically says: "Hey, let's redshirt our second best quarterback so that if our #1 guy goes down we can compete with our third best option."

That said, I'm withholding any sort of opinion on Herbert until I see him take a few snaps in a game.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I think our struggles last season were pretty clear. The offense was nothing without Adams... and our defense wellllll they just sucked period.
Watched the ASU/Oregon rerun recently. Good god our defense was bad last year. Check the box score, but I think ASU put ~750 yards of offense on us.