Nebraska WR Coach Suspended

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Nebraska WR Coach Suspended

Post by StevensTechU »

Keith Williams, who was arrested last week following his 3rd DUI, has been suspended for the first 4 games of the season which includes Fresno State, Wyoming, Oregon and Northwestern.

http://hailvarsity.com/news/nebraska-su ... s/2016/08/

It's obvious that Nebraska wants to keep the guy around. He's done a very good job with the wide receivers on the Nebraska roster, and so far has been a dynamite recruiter who has put Nebraska in position to land 5-star talents like Joseph Lewis out of Los Angeles and into the top group for 5-star Tyjon Lindsey. Personally, I don't lump Nebraska in with SEC schools in the fashion that the latter doesn't even try to refute that winning at all costs is completely fine by them. Nebraskans are football-centric, but not to the point of craziness in my experience. This is questionable, though. It's not my place, sitting at a keyboard, to say "this guy should've been fired," because I don't know all the details. What I do know, however, is that a guy with 3 DUIs has driven drunk many more times than 3, and he has a serious problem that needs to be addressed. If 4 games and some lip service is all that happens, this all makes me very uncomfortable.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Re: Nebraska WR Coach Suspended

Post by lukeyrid13 »

At least he is being punished cause 3 DUI's is astounding. This begs the question if coaches should face same or similar punishments as the athletes. Any athlete at Oregon would have for sure been kicked off their respective team after their third DUI. Should coaches have a different set of standards?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:At least he is being punished cause 3 DUI's is astounding. This begs the question if coaches should face same or similar punishments as the athletes. Any athlete at Oregon would have for sure been kicked off their respective team after their third DUI. Should coaches have a different set of standards?

If there was any kind of accountability he would be fired, and in jail. Riley's true colors show up, whenever there are cases like this.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

buckmarkduck wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:At least he is being punished cause 3 DUI's is astounding. This begs the question if coaches should face same or similar punishments as the athletes. Any athlete at Oregon would have for sure been kicked off their respective team after their third DUI. Should coaches have a different set of standards?

If there was any kind of accountability he would be fired, and in jail. Riley's true colors show up, whenever there are cases like this.
But I was told for years by my beaver fan friends that he is pure class?? Like the time he waited to suspend the DLineman charged with kidnapping his GF until some other lineman came back from injury so it wouldn't hurt the team as much. It was fun listening to those same friends trying to explain that one ha.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

So he watches film, helps create a game plan, helps implement that plan, prepares his players all week, then misses 3 hours? Does this really seem like much of a punishment?
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

This is Smiley's modus operandi. Just like when Al Afalava got drunk, crashed his car into a bus stop and fled the scene of the crime. He was charged with DUI and felony hit-and-run, yet Smiley only suspends him for 1 game. Hip Hip Hooray!
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

3 DUIs is a felony in Oregon. Odd that he isn't in jail; get your s*** straight Nebraska.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

wepto wrote:3 DUIs is a felony in Oregon. Odd that he isn't in jail; get your s*** straight Nebraska.
3 DUIs spread out over years and in 2 different states. He very obviously has a problem, but there's very little pressure to fix it, apparently.