2017 2-deep

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

2017 2-deep

Post by StevensTechU »

Looking way ahead. This is going to be a good group.

QB: Justin Herbert / Travis Jonsen
RB: Kani Benoit / Taj Griffin
WR1: Alex Ofodile / Jalen Brown
WR2: Dillon Mitchell / Devon Allen / Dylan Kane
WR3: Charles Nelson / Tristen Wallace
TE: Jacob Breeland / Cameron McCormick
OT: Tyrell Crosby / Logan Bathke
OG: Shane Lemieux / Doug Brenner
OC: Jake Hanson / Zach Okun
OG: Jake Pisarcik / Jacob Capra
OT: Calvin Throckmorton / Brady Aiello

CB: Tyree Robinson / Malik Lovette / Ty Griffin
CB: Ugo Amadi / Deommodore Lenoir** (commit)
FS: Brenden Schooler / Khalil Oliver
SS: Juwaan Williams / Fotu Leiato
OLB: Troy Dye / Jonah Moi
ILB: AJ Hotchkins / Keith Simms
OLB: Eric Briscoe / Jimmie Swain
DE: Henry Mondeaux / Bryson Young
DT: Rex Manu / Gary Baker
DT: Austin Maloata / Drayton Carlberg
DE: Jalen Jelks / Justin Hollins

All conference candidates:
Tyrell Crosby, OT
Jake Hanson, OC
Shane Lemieux, OG
Dillon Mitchell, WR
Charles Nelson, WR
Kani Benoit, RB <-- Oregon has led the conference in rushing 12 years, so any starter at RB is going to be in all-conference consideration

Arrion Springs*, CB <-- *If he comes back
Malik Lovette, CB
Tyree Robinson, FS
AJ Hotchkins, MLB
Henry Mondeaux, DE
Rex Manu, DT

Aidan Schneider, PK
Last edited by StevensTechU on Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greenblood
Senior

Re: 2017 2-deep

Post by Greenblood »

Well, this is definitely looking ahead, isn't it, when we're talking about the 2-deep for the season AFTER the one that's about to start :P .

I'd be very surprised if Jonsen stuck around to be a backup to Herbert. While it's true that Jonsen has used his RS, he'd still have two years of eligibility somewhere else after sitting out a year per the normal transfer requirement.

Interesting that you have Benoit ahead of Griffin. And we also have TBJ.

I hope you're right that we still have Nelson next year.
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

Crosby too! ^ he's been a fridge first rounder in early mocks
mdm0302
Freshman

Post by mdm0302 »

But that two deep looks very impressive !
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

No Canton Kaumatule?
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

I know Benoit's always looked good, but I just have a hard time imagining he'll hold off the amazing athleticism of Taj and TBJ. This year will be telling.

And I'm glad to see we're getting the QB controversy going early :D
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

I love Benoit and think he's ready to have a breakout year; he really just needs the touches. While Taj will be the home run threat, I'm not sure you want him as an every down back toting the rock. You can definitely flex him out and put in him the slot, but if we're talking 20-25 carries, my guy would be Benoit. He reminds me a little of Jeremiah Johnson and Kenjon Barner, two backs who were in the shadows of Jonathan Stewart and LaMichael James. We all knew what each back could do, they just had to wait their turn. And when they got their time to shine, the made the most of it. JJ was an animal in 08 (that CW game still bring a big smile to my face) and KB was a Heisman candidate in 2012 (putting 3 bills on SC in their house will always be remembered).
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Greenblood wrote:Well, this is definitely looking ahead, isn't it, when we're talking about the 2-deep for the season AFTER the one that's about to start :P .

I'd be very surprised if Jonsen stuck around to be a backup to Herbert. While it's true that Jonsen has used his RS, he'd still have two years of eligibility somewhere else after sitting out a year per the normal transfer requirement.

Interesting that you have Benoit ahead of Griffin. And we also have TBJ.

I hope you're right that we still have Nelson next year.

Yeah, it's hard to say about Jonsen. If Herbert is clearly #1 after next spring then Jonsen has some serious thinking to do. If they're neck in neck coming out of spring he'd almost certainly want to stick around for fall camp at least. Even if he didn't beat him in the fall, the backups are always only one play away from their opportunity to shine.

This would be a lot easier if Herbert would just be a "good little freshman", not look so great and redshirt this season, which he may anyway. It's hard to say. Jonsen could really use a good scrimmage Thursday.
John 3:36
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think Benoit is the only guy who can take the pounding. If Taj tried to be an every down back, I think it would wind up similar to when De'Anthony did the same- just not durable enough for that kind of role. If Nelson does jump to the NFL (I don't see his stock being high enough, but who knows after Marshall and Addison elected to go late/undrafted), then I think Taj could move to the slot full-time.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Our DL and DB groups next season should be experienced and deep. Nice.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Previous:
CB: Arrion Springs* / Malik Lovette / Ty Griffin
FS: Tyree Robinson / Khalil Oliver

New:
CB: Tyree Robinson / Malik Lovette / Ty Griffin
FS: Brendan Schooler / Khalil Oliver

I'm really excited about next year. I think Oregon maintains about the same amount of skill position talent, while making upgrades due to experience at OL, DL, and LB, which are basically the only weak spots this season and could be the difference between 8-10 wins and 10-12 wins.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

You don't see some skill position dropoff? We'll be losing Dakota and probably Royce. I'm excited for Herbert but definitely can't rule out growing pains, and you definitely can't expect anyone to be as good as Royce.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Tray Dub wrote:You don't see some skill position dropoff? We'll be losing Dakota and probably Royce. I'm excited for Herbert but definitely can't rule out growing pains, and you definitely can't expect anyone to be as good as Royce.
Alex Ofodile for Dwayne Stanford is a wash. Hoping Tristen Wallace and Dillon Mitchell can minimize impact of losing Pharoah Brown and Darren Carrington. Devon Allen, Charles Nelson, and Jalen Brown all get another year older, presumably better. The receiving unit remains uber talented.

I don't think the dropoff from Freeman to Benoit is as big as some others. Herbert's apparently so good the coaches had no regrets burning his redshirt. Yost was quoted after the Virginia game that fans "should expect to see Herbert" plenty this season.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

And TBJ has looked really good in this short season. He and benoit should be more than solid. Then you still have boom or bust with Griffin as third string. Skill positions and offensive line will be great next year.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:And TBJ has looked really good in this short season. He and benoit should be more than solid. Then you still have boom or bust with Griffin as third string. Skill positions and offensive line will be great next year.
Problem with TBJ past few seasons is he looks really good and then he'll get tackled awkwardly and he'll be out for the next 3+ games because of an injury. Theres a few times where he carries for a good 5-6 yds and then you see him jogging to the sideline holding his arm/shoulder. BUT let me makes this clear I'm a huge TBJ.