Week 1 Depth Chart released

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GoDucksIn09
Senior

Re: Week 1 Depth Chart released

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Not saying this is the reason that Travis is not the number 2 qb. I am merely hypothesizing that it would maybe make sense of the 2 deep right now. I wonder if Travis is injured. Keep in mind there has been no mention of him during the practice reports from Rob Moseley. I find it odd that a qb battle we have been having that for roughly a week not been much talk of him. I am not trying to start a rumor or anything. I am not saying Travis is hurt.. but if he is then this 2 deep does make sense.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Mosely just mentioned him during the last scrimmage. Hes not hurt.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

A few thoughts of mine:

-Cameron Hunt is the backup center if something happens to Hansen. To keep your best 5 out there, you put Pisarcik/Voeller in at guard and move Hunt in
-I figure Zac Morgan is the true backup at either tackle spot. He played on the left last year, right two seasons before that.
-If Herbert is the second best guy right now, that means he's in-line to possibly start 3 years after this. Asking for more than that is simply getting greedy. Also, you get him game experience to ease the transition, and if the worst happens -- injury -- you preserve a redshirt year.
-Surprised Hollins got the nod over Jelks, but good for him. I'd expect both to play a lot.
-Linebacker scares the bejeezus out of me. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come on by mid-year, but I'd expect some missed gaps and blown coverages early.
-I'm in Berlin/Amsterdam/Munich this week, so I won't be posting much. If anyone on here is any of those cities, lets grab a bier.

Auf Weidersehen!
duxforlyfe
Three Star Recruit

Post by duxforlyfe »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Very surprising, though I will say, if Helf plays Herbert over Jonsen in garbage time I'd be upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If Herbert lives up to our premature hype, then why sit him? If he is amazing then he wont be here for 5 years. I would rather see him get some real game time experience than sit on the bench.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

duck541 wrote:Yep just saw that Prevot is being investigated for sexual assaulting a former female athlete? Crazy.
Not sure it's sexual assault.

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

I most surprised that our holder for kicks is still Taylor Alie. Does that mean he will travel as holder and emergency QB? How many QBs can they take on the road with a reduced squad limit?

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

duck541 wrote:First reactions:

- Can't believe Prevot is no where to be found...
Prevot is suspended from the team at the moment with legal troubles. The story said indefinitely so no idea if he'll be back at all.

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

duckduckgoose wrote:I most surprised that our holder for kicks is still Taylor Alie. Does that mean he will travel as holder and emergency QB? How many QBs can they take on the road with a reduced squad limit?

Alie has also been taking reps at WR, he's a dependable holder, so backup QB, backup WR and holder. He should travel.

I also have not seen anything on Prevot saying sexual assault, the only things I've read is it's two separate assault charges on a female athlete. Although it would be easy to assume it's sexual assault but no word yet.
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Not saying this is the reason that Travis is not the number 2 qb. I am merely hypothesizing that it would maybe make sense of the 2 deep right now. I wonder if Travis is injured. Keep in mind there has been no mention of him during the practice reports from Rob Moseley. I find it odd that a qb battle we have been having that for roughly a week not been much talk of him. I am not trying to start a rumor or anything. I am not saying Travis is hurt.. but if he is then this 2 deep does make sense.
I just figured that Rob knew people would be surprised at Herbert's sudden rise and wanted to telegraph it fans. If he kept writing about Jonsen all the time and Herbert was suddenly listed as the number 2, people would freak and assume something bad happened. This way, we all knew in advance Herbert was legit. It's a reflection of how prepared Herbert is as a true Freshman more than a reflection of Jonsen being unable to get it done.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Helf just said the QB depth chart would be Prukop, Herbert, Wilson and Jonsen. Wow what happened there?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck24 wrote:Helf just said the QB depth chart would be Prukop, Herbert, Wilson and Jonsen. Wow what happened there?
Over on DT, they said that after the first scrimmage, Jonsen just went into a tailspin, likely by pressing too much and forcing things to get back in to the competition. Potentially having another Frost-recruited and coached QB possibly flame out is not going to look good, especially for Oregon's future QB depth. If he can't move up, I could easily see him transfer, which would then put pressure on Oregon to make sure they got a QB in the 2017 class for depth purposes. But with Herbert looking like a long-term starer, I'm not sure many top 2017 guys are going to want to come in to basically be a back-up their entire careers.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:Biggest surprise is Rush end:
-Sr. Torrodney Prevot nowhere to be found. Justin Hollins wins the starting spot.

Other minor surprises:
-None of the freshman WR crack the 2 deep, after the hype and Spring game(probably because Mitchell is hurt), but still.
-Troy Dye winning a LBer spot as a true freshman. First guy to do that since Michael Clay(and he wasn't a starter until like week 3-4.
-Brenden Schooler, a very late recruiting class addition, wins a spot on the 2 deep at CB.

Biggest disappointments have to be: Canton Kaumatule(former 5* recruit, can't crack the 2 deep), Travis Jonsen(some thought he may be the starting QB)

-Yeah Schooler cracking the 2-deep is by far the biggest surprise to me.
-Casey Eugino getting the nod over Mitchell and Wallace is also interesting. He's definitely benefiting from Mitchell being hurt and Merritt leaving the program.
-No huge surprises on the OL, but we have 3 freshmen starting! Also Davis Miyashiro-Saipaia backing up center caught my eye.
-Other than Schooler on the 2-deep and Troy Dye starting, the defense looks a lot like projected. Very impressive for Dye to be starting on day 1.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

duck541 wrote:First reactions:

- Can't believe Prevot is no where to be found...
- Benoit looked great but disappointed Griffin isn't the #2 back even if he will get plenty of time
- Casey Eugenio on the two deep at maybe our deepest position? WTF
- Canton Kaumatule??? Can't even beat out Elijiah George for a backup spot smh
- Stoked for Dye and Hotchins
- Curious about CB depth with Seisay gone. Wonder if Schooler has really played that well or it's a lack of options. I have to assume that one of the safeties might see some time as a nickel or dime corner with the depth we have at S and lack thereof at CB
- Hoped Jimmy Swain would have stepped up...
- Overall feeling really good about our OL... Hope they don't let me down.
- Herbert hype is real. And lots of young dudes on the two deep at every position. Stoked for the future of Duck football.
Good call about the RB situation. I overlooked that. I'm sure Griffin will be used as a WR too at the slot position behind Nelson quite a bit.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

StevensTechU wrote:A few thoughts of mine:

-Cameron Hunt is the backup center if something happens to Hansen. To keep your best 5 out there, you put Pisarcik/Voeller in at guard and move Hunt in
-I figure Zac Morgan is the true backup at either tackle spot. He played on the left last year, right two seasons before that.
-If Herbert is the second best guy right now, that means he's in-line to possibly start 3 years after this. Asking for more than that is simply getting greedy. Also, you get him game experience to ease the transition, and if the worst happens -- injury -- you preserve a redshirt year.
-Surprised Hollins got the nod over Jelks, but good for him. I'd expect both to play a lot.
-Linebacker scares the bejeezus out of me. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come on by mid-year, but I'd expect some missed gaps and blown coverages early.
-I'm in Berlin/Amsterdam/Munich this week, so I won't be posting much. If anyone on here is any of those cities, lets grab a bier.

Auf Weidersehen!
Have fun in Europe. And I'm with you, LB is by far the weakest position on our roster. AJ and Ragin are going to need to step it up.

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Random observation, we only have one senior starting on defense.