Lubick with the truly baffling playcalling

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

DAT_man_again
Sophomore

Lubick with the truly baffling playcalling

Post by DAT_man_again »

Two 3rd and longs, and you run, and then you don't go for it on 4th down?

A fade in the redzone on first and ten with a minute left?

Forget Helf. Lubick has been awful.
"You know we the big brother." - Cliff Harris

"Y'all know what time it is." -Damian Lillard
Duck07
All-American

Re: Lubick with the truly baffling playcalling

Post by Duck07 »

DAT_man_again wrote:Two 3rd and longs, and you run, and then you don't go for it on 4th down?

Well it's another Helf error late. He has a Mic to Lubbick and can relate, if we score on the first play, they still have a minute and 3 timeouts. Run the first play, make them use timeouts. Qb power is something Dakota can do.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07 wrote:
DAT_man_again wrote:Two 3rd and longs, and you run, and then you don't go for it on 4th down?

Well it's another Helf error late. He has a Mic to Lubbick and can relate, if we score on the first play, they still have a minute and 3 timeouts. Run the first play, make them use timeouts. Qb power is something Dakota can do.
Just mind-boggling playcalling and clock management there. Running up the gut gets them at least a tie. Pretty indefensible here.
rentdodger1
Three Star Recruit

Post by rentdodger1 »

Duck07 wrote:

This is spot on-Put Prokup in the position to win the game using what he does best. A tie game should be worst case scenario, everything else that can lose it should be off the table.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I was worried about the Lubick hire, I was hoping when Frost left they'd get someone with experience but they went with another project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I was worried about the Lubick hire, I was hoping when Frost left they'd get someone with experience but they went with another project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, baffling is right. This team is bad but the coaching is worse
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

greenyellow wrote:
Duck07 wrote:

Just mind-boggling playcalling and clock management there. Running up the gut gets them at least a tie. Pretty indefensible here.
Agree. More than a minute on the clock, nearly at first and goal, only need an easy FG to tie. Why not run a couple of times before throwing to the corner?
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Reminds me of the Seahawks not running Beast in the Super Bowl to win the game. Better options there inside the 10 on first down with timeouts and more than a minute left. TBJ, KB, Prukop on a zone read, just run the ball a couple of times there. Very poor play calling. It is the coaches that need to wake up from this, not the players. I have defended Helf but the pressure is on now.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

Spot on post, I think Lubick has been more of a problem than Helf. Give Dakota credit, he's gotten better standing in the pocket, but let him throw on the move in that situation where he's sooooo much more comfortable.
BOOF it!
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I was worried about the Lubick hire, I was hoping when Frost left they'd get someone with experience but they went with another project.
I feel like Lubick has been a clear improvement over Frost as an OC. Also, his promotion made perfect sense given how amazing he was as a receiver's coach. If any one guy on the staff deserved to be promoted, he was the guy.

Just like with Hoke, I'm not going to draw conclusions about whether Lubick is a good long-term fit until we see a larger sample size of his work.

Also, was that play call last night really that bad? Prukop should have just thrown it away when he saw the double coverage... there was no way that pass was going to be completed. But the play was a throw to the left side of the field -- which he'd been hitting all night -- and to the team's best receiver.

Personally, I wish we would have ran the ball (just like the Seahawks game), but Prukop is good enough to not make that throw. That was his first turnover of the season -- even on this forum, posters have universally agreed that perhaps his biggest strength is taking care of the ball (even if he's not a VA-style playmaker). That was a SAFE way to go for the win. It wasn't a tight throwing window against some exotic coverage scheme -- Prukop just screwed it up. Sucks, but that's college football.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

pezsez1 wrote:
I feel like Lubick has been a clear improvement over Frost as an OC. Also, his promotion made perfect sense given how amazing he was as a receiver's coach. If any one guy on the staff deserved to be promoted, he was the guy.

Just like with Hoke, I'm not going to draw conclusions about whether Lubick is a good long-term fit until we see a larger sample size of his work.

Also, was that play call last night really that bad? Prukop should have just thrown it away when he saw the double coverage... there was no way that pass was going to be completed. But the play was a throw to the left side of the field -- which he'd been hitting all night -- and to the team's best receiver.

Personally, I wished we would have ran the ball (just like the Seahawks game), but Prukop is good enough to not make that throw. That was his first turnover of the season -- even on this forum, posters have universally agreed that perhaps his biggest strength is taking care of the ball (even if he's not a VA-style playmaker). That was a SAFE way to go for the win. It wasn't a tight throwing window against some exotic coverage scheme -- Prukop just screwed it up. It happens.
Fade is a terrible playcall in that situation. I think, overall, he has done a good job playcalling. Gets a little too conservative for my liking but the offensive stats are still solid.

Fade, in that situation is just inexcusable, it's such a low percentage play. More often than not, it requires a perfect throw to convert.

1st down on the 7 yard line with 50 seconds and 2 TO's and that's the best playcall? No read option or other run to get one of our RB's on the outside?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Duck24 wrote:
Fade, in that situation is just inexcusable, it's such a low percentage play. More often than not, it requires a perfect throw to convert.
Not against our defense though. Maybe they saw how effective it was being used against us?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The playcall near the endzone was the equivalent of Seattle throwing it at the end of the Super Bowl. In both cases case, they had enough time and timeouts to conceivably run without scoring or getting out of bounds immediately.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I keep thinking about the play calling and really a lot about that line drive of a fade pass. No way am I a coach, but I see things on the tv screen at the sports bar that have me shaking my head. Then I notice several other fans doing the same. Can confounding plays be noticed by fans but somehow the coaches do not see that they are not working as planned? To beat the poor dead horse I will never understand why we did not run our big guy Benoit at least twice instead of throwing a fade that was not a fade. It all gives me a foreboding feeling and I do not like it. We could have beat Nebraska and Colorado. We should have beat them. "Head shake".

Come on Ducks, let's go!
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

pezsez1 wrote:

Personally, I wish we would have ran the ball (just like the Seahawks game), but Prukop is good enough to not make that throw. That was his first turnover of the season -- even on this forum, posters have universally agreed that perhaps his biggest strength is taking care of the ball (even if he's not a VA-style playmaker). That was a SAFE way to go for the win. It wasn't a tight throwing window against some exotic coverage scheme -- Prukop just screwed it up. Sucks, but that's college football.
Stop making sense Pez. It just does not fit the narrative for some here! ;)