Prukop & Helfrich

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Prukop & Helfrich

Post by QuackininBama »

Lets be real here. The pick was disappointing yes, but you shouldn't need a Mariota performance to beat Colorado at home. 38 points should get you a win 95% of the time. Yet another week the opposing team did literally whatever they wanted to do whenever they wanted to do it. NO RESISTANCE from the so called, "defense". Prukop is hardly the problem.
QuackAttack92
Three Star Recruit

Post by QuackAttack92 »

Prukop is a big problem...the cupboard is bare on defense...our offense ought to be scoring at will with the guys we've got
"F***** score points. What's your plan?"- Chipper
shoparound
Four Star Recruit

Post by shoparound »

If the defense is even with the opposing team, I'm counting on our big time transfer to beat out a bottom dweller team and not be outperformed by their backup.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

vegasdom wrote:
Alan wrote:Do a couple of you girls need a Kleenex? Prukop is not the worst ever, let's put Lockie in next week.
LOCKIE BEAT COLORADO
Not to mention, on the road and against a Colorado team who actually had their starting QB playing.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

vegasdom wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:Play call was fine, the execution of it was off. But we knew this coming into the season was the word on Prukop was that he isn't consistent and it's obvious he has zero chemistry with our best WR. Only person he showed chemist with was Mundt but he's made out of paper mache
Play calling was fine? Throw into double coverage in the end zone when Prukop has under thrown the majority of his passes past fifteen yards all year?
So we are just making s*** up now? Come on guys if you're going to argue dumb points. At least have your facts straight. OR if you think that the coverage below is "double"...lol maybe you need some football 101 lessons.

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

So we are just making s*** up now? Come on guys if you're going to argue dumb points. At least have your facts straight. OR if you think that the coverage below is "double"...lol maybe you need some football 101 lessons.
I bet a lot of people (myself included) have made the "double coverage" mistake because we haven't really watched many replays of that play.

I've been saying it was a safe play call, but Prukop just made a bad throw... like, if he was double covered, he should have just thrown it away.

Looks like that's an easy TD if he just puts the ball where he should have.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

pezsez1 wrote:
I bet a lot of people (myself included) have made the "double coverage" mistake because we haven't really watched many replays of that play.

I've been saying it was a safe play call, but Prukop just made a bad throw... like, if he was double covered, he should have just thrown it away.

Looks like that's an easy TD if he just puts the ball where he should have.

Preaching to the choir. Look where the defender is compared to Carrington! If Prukop makes even an average throw its an easy touchdown. Carrington (again) had his man beat....and Prukop could not get him the ball.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Prukop's passing is probably equal to Masoli's. Masoli was a better runner though.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

The only reason I would argue Masoli was better is that he actually was a legit running threat who had power and speed and could actually put some zip on the ball. I just watched the Civil war game where Oregon put up 65 points. Masoli actually makes some pretty impressive throws that game. He was like Adams, he would keep his eyes down field till he HAD to run or a huge lane opened up.

Prukop looks like an average to below average DI spread QB, there really is nothing "special" about him.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Prukop has missed several wide open throws and there is no chemistry with the WRs and he had spring and fall camp and 4 games now to develop that chemistry, also as a senior he does not seem to have that veteran leadership that even VA had as a graduate transfer who got to camp very late. It is clearly too early to throw the season away but I would like to see what Herbert can do with the WRs, I would like to see him be given a chance on a few series. As for the play calling there have been some bad calls but even the great Chip had many bad play calls. This is a very young team with new coordinators and the rest of the conference has caught up so there is going to be more downs than when Chip was at the helm or when Mariota was QB. The thing that upsets me more than anything about the coaches and players is the lack of discipline, the stupid penalties and dumb mistakes, the lack of leadership from the coaches and veteran players. Look at a team like Utah, Oregon State is probably the only team in the conference with less "talent" than the Utes yet they consistently compete because they are disciplined and well coached. The coaches need to be tougher they need to instill that mental toughness into the players and that is certainly one thing that has been lacking during Helf's tenure.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Prukop has missed several wide open throws and there is no chemistry with the WRs
I've defended the play call, and I still do. It was safe. It's an instance where Prukop just needed to throw to a spot rather than a receiver. He should have had that.

However, I definitely agree with this point. It's a shame, because Prukop doesn't really allow us to use our most lethal offensive weapon -- and that's Carrington, not Freeman. I've never seen a receiver get open downfield as often as Carrington. It's insane. And Prukop can't hit him (or sometimes see him) with any real consistency.

In that regard, he definitely reminds me of Masoli. Though I remember that Masoli definitely improved as a passer during his time at Oregon (he was pretty terrible during his first year), so maybe Prukop's deep balls will improve as well.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I hope if Prukop doesn't start off hot Helf will make a change.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I hope if Prukop doesn't start off hot Helf will make a change.
I think Helfrich would have made the change in the third quarter against CO had we not grabbed that first interception that turned things around.

It's clear he wants Herbert to play; otherwise, he wouldn't have burned his redshirt on one snap. Now, the big question is how to put him in the best position to succeed. Prukop is a senior and better suited for the emotional ups and downs, and maybe that's the real reason he was named the starter in what many expected could be an up-and-down season. I want Herbert to get quality snaps, but I don't want him to feel like the team is underperforming or losing because of him.