Finally rewatched the Colorado game

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Finally rewatched the Colorado game

Post by Kimber45 »

Didn't see a thread worth putting my thoughts into so I'll put them here.

Oregon's Defense. What Colorado did on Offense was really very simple. And what concerns me is that Wazzu and Cal both are very capable of doing the same thing. CU's base offense was four wide with a single back. [Ironically, CU presents more of a spread offensive set than Oregon does.] Early in the game CU would send their receivers down field and the RB to the flat. Our linebackers would not move out to cover and the easy swing pass to the RB would go 10+. As soon as Oregon started sending a LB to cover the RB motioning out, CU would slant an inside receiver across the middle where there was no longer a LB. [Oregon's base defense was CB nickle with 3 CBs, 2 corners and 2 LBs.] Success only requires receivers who can catch and a QB who can read the field and is reasonably accurate. Montez was clearly good at both.

Oregon's linebackers were simply awful against CU in pass coverage. Every linebacker. And CU took full advantage of that. Montez was smart enough to see Ross in the slot covered by a LB so they did a go route for an easy TD. Montz read the defense very well and had our LBers running around in circles.

I won't beat the physicality horse to death too much more but CU played much tougher than Oregon. Time after time the WR, RB and QB would knock back the Oregon defender for a couple more yards, including a few times for first downs. How does Ragin, or any linebacker, not come up on a QB running between the tackles with malice in his heart. Someone said in another thread that SEC defenses murder running QBs. We allow them to bully our LBs and DBs.

Too much 5 and 10 yard cushions by CBs. Ball is snapped and the CB immediately back pedals. WR either stands and catches a quick pass, runs to the first down marker and turns to catch a ball, or runs a quick slant inside for big yards. It's just too easy.

There were some sacks and TFLs but also a lot of CU getting the edge and making big runs. CU got the edge more than Oregon did with Nelson, TBJ and Griffin. Our defense is not fast, does not tackle well, and when we do tackle we all too often gave up YAC.

One the whole it was a pretty poor defensive effort by Oregon. I do give credit to CU and Montez who just sliced and diced Oregon's defense. The two picks were good as well.

Oregon's Offense. As high as many fans are on the mostly RS Freshman line they did not dominate the line of scrimmage. And when we ran power it looked disorganized and was mostly ineffective. As I said above, CU defended the edges well and their DEs in particular did a good job of getting up field influencing the play. Prukop seemed a little mechanical/conservative at times. All that said we put up a bunch of yards and what should have been enough points to win the game. While a coach is not responsible for fumbles and interceptions I put fault on the play calling for losing the final series. That horse has been so far to death that the leftover atoms have bruising so I'll not add more.

Still not sure what we are doing with our receiver bunching. Having three bunched receivers used to mean a quick bubble screen for 5-10 yards. Now it doesn't get thrown so we have three receivers within five yards of themselves not being used on an offense play.

Tempo is one thing but the play exploding is another. Oregon's offense just doesn't explode off the snap like it used to. It's a hell of a good offense but we also haven't seen a really good defense yet either. Hopefully the offense will continue to gel and work together more as a unit.
QuackininBama
All Pac-12

Re: Finally rewatched the Colorado game

Post by QuackininBama »

Too much 5 and 10 yard cushions by CBs. Ball is snapped and the CB immediately back pedals. WR either stands and catches a quick pass, runs to the first down marker and turns to catch a ball, or runs a quick slant inside for big yards. It's just too easy.
This is maddening to me. You see the play, you know its 3rd an 4, 5, 6, and our defenders are playing 10 yards off the ball and start backpedaling on the snap. Receiver runs a 6 yard curl pattern, automatic 1st down every, single, time. So frustrating to watch.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

In summary: Oregon's players looked and played lifeless.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

You mean to tell me that Oregon had people on the field when Colorado was on offense?
QuackAttack92
Three Star Recruit

Post by QuackAttack92 »

god bless you man...unless I swallowed poison and desperately needed to vomit I don't think I could rewatch that one
"F***** score points. What's your plan?"- Chipper
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

One thing I'd like to add is how fast Colorado was moving in the first half. Their tempo really worked up our defense.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I can't rewatch it but I remember seeing one of our DLinemen repeatedly running into the line and immediately getting knocked down. It was almost embarrassing to see. Did anyone else notice that / know who it was?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

karlhungis wrote:I can't rewatch it but I remember seeing one of our DLinemen repeatedly running into the line and immediately getting knocked down. It was almost embarrassing to see. Did anyone else notice that / know who it was?
For sure on one play Maloata got triple teamed and absolutely smooshed into the turf. I actually laughed but there was nothing he could do.

The D line actually played pretty decent against WSU. Linebackers have a habit of running up into a block and getting stuck.

The problem with spread pass offenses is that if you blitz a linebacker it leaves a big open area behind them for a short pass. You either have to get immediate pressure, which Oregon hasn't shown then can do reliably, or send four and play safe. Damned if you do; Damned if you don't.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Kimber45 wrote:Didn't see a thread worth putting my thoughts into so I'll put them here.

Oregon's Defense. What Colorado did on Offense was really very simple. And what concerns me is that Wazzu and Cal both are very capable of doing the same thing. CU's base offense was four wide with a single back. [Ironically, CU presents more of a spread offensive set than Oregon does.] Early in the game CU would send their receivers down field and the RB to the flat. Our linebackers would not move out to cover and the easy swing pass to the RB would go 10+. As soon as Oregon started sending a LB to cover the RB motioning out, CU would slant an inside receiver across the middle where there was no longer a LB. [Oregon's base defense was CB nickle with 3 CBs, 2 corners and 2 LBs.] Success only requires receivers who can catch and a QB who can read the field and is reasonably accurate. Montez was clearly good at both.

Oregon's linebackers were simply awful against CU in pass coverage. Every linebacker. And CU took full advantage of that. Montez was smart enough to see Ross in the slot covered by a LB so they did a go route for an easy TD. Montz read the defense very well and had our LBers running around in circles.

I won't beat the physicality horse to death too much more but CU played much tougher than Oregon. Time after time the WR, RB and QB would knock back the Oregon defender for a couple more yards, including a few times for first downs. How does Ragin, or any linebacker, not come up on a QB running between the tackles with malice in his heart. Someone said in another thread that SEC defenses murder running QBs. We allow them to bully our LBs and DBs.

There were some sacks and TFLs but also a lot of CU getting the edge and making big runs. CU got the edge more than Oregon did with Nelson, TBJ and Griffin. Our defense is not fast, does not tackle well, and when we do tackle we all too often gave up YAC.

One the whole it was a pretty poor defensive effort by Oregon. I do give credit to CU and Montez who just sliced and diced Oregon's defense. The two picks were good as well.

Oregon's Offense. As high as many fans are on the mostly RS Freshman line they did not dominate the line of scrimmage. And when we ran power it looked disorganized and was mostly ineffective. As I said above, CU defended the edges well and their DEs in particular did a good job of getting up field influencing the play. Prukop seemed a little mechanical/conservative at times. All that said we put up a bunch of yards and what should have been enough points to win the game. While a coach is not responsible for fumbles and interceptions I put fault on the play calling for losing the final series. That horse has been so far to death that the leftover atoms have bruising so I'll not add more.

Still not sure what we are doing with our receiver bunching. Having three bunched receivers used to mean a quick bubble screen for 5-10 yards. Now it doesn't get thrown so we have three receivers within five yards of themselves not being used on an offense play.

Tempo is one thing but the play exploding is another. Oregon's offense just doesn't explode off the snap like it used to. It's a hell of a good offense but we also haven't seen a really good defense yet either. Hopefully the offense will continue to gel and work together more as a unit.

It's not just fans saying they have played very good, every matrix used to measure them says they have played awesome. I think people get confused on what you want from a zone block.

Got this stat off College film room Twitter- Oregon freshman LT Brady Aiello (replacing injured Tyrell Crosby) allowed 0 QB pressures in 36 pass pro snaps vs Colorado
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

QuackininBama wrote:
This is maddening to me. You see the play, you know its 3rd an 4, 5, 6, and our defenders are playing 10 yards off the ball and start backpedaling on the snap. Receiver runs a 6 yard curl pattern, automatic 1st down every, single, time. So frustrating to watch.

This is called The Reverse Blitz.