Single coaching thread?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Single coaching thread?

Post by pezsez1 »

Just a thought...

I'm sure everyone here will agree that Oregon's AD isn't going to fire anyone midseason. That seems like common sense, no matter where you are on the spectrum.

With that in mind, why not have one thread be our ongoing "Does the program need to make changes" thread? With that title, the thread could cover the head coach, position coaches, the AD, practice formats, conditioning programs, whatever it is that we think is causing the most problems.

Let's face it... we're four games into the season and this forum is already getting toxic. It kind of sucks. We talk about trying to get new, quality members, but nobody new is going to want to hang around here if our main page is so negative.

We can still have plenty of negative threads -- the play of our D, questionable play calls, etc. will always make for hot topics -- but the different variations of early season "fire the coaches" threads are getting a bit out of hand. I count five on the Autzen front page right now, and we all know these will keep popping up with every upcoming Oregon loss (and even wins that are unnecessarily close).

Could we reign it in a bit while still allowing these discussions to happen? I think everyone here benefits if we allow these discussions in a way that doesn't turn the entire forum toxic.

Just my two cents.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: Single coaching thread?

Post by wepto »

While I think you're correct in predicting that no one is getting fired mid season, I still think it's an interesting topic and having multiple threads makes the discussion easier to follow. It's just a pain to have to sift through a 20+ page thread.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Disagreement and toxicity are two different things. There's like one poster who's annoying people.
dd10snoop28
Senior
GM: New Jersey Nets GM

Post by dd10snoop28 »

Iron sharpens iron. I'm fine with it as long as we stay cordial.
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Could someone sharpen the play of our defense please and make it to so it can stop the run? It is one thing for the players to have a meeting for the players... I want to see it happen.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

dd10snoop28 wrote:Iron sharpens iron. I'm fine with it as long as we stay cordial.
I've actually been impressed with how civil most of the discussion has been. It's crazy how badly people react to simple discourse.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I've actually been impressed with how civil most of the discussion has been. It's crazy how badly people react to simple discourse.
Most of the people here are pretty civil... only one person seems to be acting kind of OregonLive-ish.

My suggestion was just to make sure we don't have a complete forum implosion like last year, which got pretty ugly for awhile. I had to stop posting here for several weeks last season because the dialogue became intolerable. I don't want to see that happen again, especially over a topic that's frankly not worth worrying about right now. Like I said, there's no way we're doing a midseason coaching change, especially with so little actual reason to do so RIGHT NOW.

During our long stretch of beating the Huskies, one of my favorite things to do the day after the game is to search for Husky fan forums and just revel in the meltdowns.

That's us right now. We're making ourselves into fools.

Is that REALLY what we want?
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

pezsez1 wrote:
Most of the people here are pretty civil... only one person seems to be acting kind of OregonLive-ish.

My suggestion was just to make sure we don't have a complete forum implosion like last year, which got pretty ugly for awhile. I had to stop posting here for several weeks last season because the dialogue became intolerable. I don't want to see that happen again, especially over a topic that's frankly not worth worrying about right now. Like I said, there's no way we're doing a midseason coaching change, especially with so little actual reason to do so RIGHT NOW.

During our long stretch of beating the Huskies, one of my favorite things to do the day after the game is to search for Husky fan forums and just revel in the meltdowns.

IMO you're overstating it and as a mostly lurker, you're posts tend to stand out as much as the occasional O Live type comment.

My suggestion, let it be. This is a fan forum, there's room for everyone under the tent.

If it gets out of hand, that's another story
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

IMO you're overstating it and as a mostly lurker, you're posts tend to stand out as much as the occasional O Live type comment.
If I stand out in that way, it's because I'm responding to someone who addressed me directly... and I always try to back up my posts with logic and reason. I don't do personal attacks. But I also don't back down when someone calls me out.

The one exception is the obviously sarcastic thread I just made.

Last season got pretty ugly in here. Lots of petty namecalling, finger-pointing, taking people out of context, etc. And I'm not the only person who had to step back for awhile. I could easily see that happening again unless either 1) People tone down or contain the negativity, or 2) people with opposing opinions don't participate in discussions.

I'd prefer letting people be as negative as they want, but not letting that negativity permeate the entire board. But I'll roll with the masses.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

pezsez1 wrote:
If I stand out in that way, it's because I'm responding to someone who addressed me directly... and I always try to back up my posts with logic and reason. I don't do personal attacks. But I also don't back down when someone calls me out.

Last season got pretty ugly in here. Lots of petty namecalling, finger-pointing, taking people out of context, etc. And I'm not the only person who had to step back for awhile. I could easily see that happening again unless either 1) People tone down or contain the negativity, or 2) people with opposing opinions don't participate in discussions.

I'd prefer letting people be as negative as they want, but not letting that negativity permeate the entire board. But I'll roll with the masses.
I agree with you, Pez.
John 3:36
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

pezsez1 wrote:

I certainly don't want it to get like it was last year; I was part of that intolerable dialogue and actually took a long break from the forum because I felt like I had gone off the deep end a bit regarding Pellum ha.

Again though, I don't think we're that bad. And definitely not anything like the Husky forums. I would do the same thing as you and I don't think we're even close to that. Post game overreaction threads are inevitable, even in when a team is playing really well. It's never quite good enough.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

My posts are all civil and perfect. Just saying..

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

SuperDuck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

I agree with you, Pez.

Pez for Pres
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think a big problem right now was bringing Pellum back. It seems pretty clear too that he won't be back based on how his unit has played.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

It is interesting to see the lines being drawn this year. last year, a few, including myself, were very concerned about the pipeline at QB and at linebacker, and felt that the coaching staff had really dropped the ball in recruiting and developing, particularly at QB. Quite a few more had a serious problem with Pellum. Well, Pellum is not the DC anymore, and we did recruit pretty well at the two positions of need (Corner was possibly another one, but it looks like it is being addressed better in the next class).

Now, I feel weird being on the side defending Helfrich while so many aren't, but really, I feel like he has made significant steps to address the problems. A hole that big in the pipeline can't be fixed immediately. A new defensive scheme probably can't be expected to work wonders when the guy implementing it wasn't even around for a full recruiting cycle this winter.

I think the situation calls for some patience, but I admit that I am a little disappointed in my fellow duck fans for lacking patience. Helfrich is responding to problems. It isn't like we are coming off a string of losing seasons. We are coming off an Alamo Bowl season and we have lost two games so far. Let the dude fix the problems.

P.S. I agree that Pellum is probably past his expiration date. It is very hard to watch the linebackers running around everywhere but where the guy with the ball actually is.