Players not giving effort

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

jimmy12
Senior

Players not giving effort

Post by jimmy12 »

I have read a lot about the "young" players not giving effort. I have not watched the game close enough to notice who is not giving effort. Anyone have any thoughts here on who are the players? I want to watch them more closely.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Players not giving effort

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I've heard about this, and it's concerning cause it's not like the recruiting classes are getting better. This sounds like something you'd hear about at USC, not Oregon. I suppose this group didn't buy into Helf's blue collar culture. Luckily Oregon still control's their own destiny to a PAC-12 championship, I really hope the players' only meeting fixed this issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

You mean the players standing instead of doing their job. Yes I noticed this in the last game. Pull them and bench them and tell them why. It's coaching.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

That's bullshit. It's the "veterans" that are letting us down.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Phenom wrote:That's bullshit. It's the "veterans" that are letting us down.
This is more of what I've seen. I've been pretty happy with the effort of the young OL, Brenden Schooler, Troy Dye, Jonah Moi, AJ Hotchkins. Older guys seem to be less intense out there, guys like Arrion Springs, Darren Carrington and Charles Nelson. All three of those guys are stellar in individual play, but they're not exactly making their teammates better.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I don't know who it was I saw. It should never happen whomever it was.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It's been said more than once this year that some players aren't giving their all. It's bad when Fr are calling out Jr and Sr.
Kimber45
Three Star Recruit

Post by Kimber45 »

Haven't noticed a lot of poor effort so far this year myself. If anything there seems to be more emphasis on tackling. Defense seems a little slow flowing to the ball but that is probably the players still thinking instead of reacting because they are adapting to a new scheme.

Against Colorado did see a couple of plays where a second defender pulled up instead of assisting another player with a tackle. This was a major problem last year where a DB would assume another player would make a tackle, they wouldn't, and then we'd give up a bunch more YAC.

Am 100% behind the players though. They'll get the defense sorted out. Someday. Hopefully someday soon.

Wouldn't mind a little more swarming on defense where six or seven guy end up dog piling the ball carrier.
Sooth
Four Star Recruit

Post by Sooth »

It's not surprising since this is the first year we're rolling out strictly Helf guys.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

I've noticed it alot. Some posters have been very upset with the after game/practice "coaches talk" and never deciphered it. Nine times out of Ten when a coach says a player is lacking consistency it means he's lacking effort. Whenever you hear the coaches complain about pad level that's effort. Want to know why Canton Kaumatule took this long to get in the 2 deep,
"Effort's not been a problem with him," Hoke said. "It's more just pad level. Sometimes instincts play a part of that, and your football intelligence."
Hoke says effort isn't a problem so it doesn't sound like he's throwing him under the bus. But inconsistency is expected when you have a team this young. Players have already told us the major reason for it. Some guys expect to put on the uniform and wins will be handed to them. Leadership isn't as strong as years past, but they'll be fine I have trust in the players. Only thing I'm scared of is the consistent excuse of " We're a young team" every year like Sark had at Washington.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

Kimber45 wrote:Haven't noticed a lot of poor effort so far this year myself.
I wonder if the poor effort is off the field. Guys staying out late, partying the night before games and practices. To the casual observer it might not look like much, but to a teammate that knows a guy's potential, it might be very obvious.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Given the team stays in a hotel the night before games I doubt this is the reason.

whosyourwally
Five Star Recruit

Post by whosyourwally »

Maybe it's just that our best lineman, one of our best receivers, and our overall best player, in addition to a number of others, have missed the last two games. Not to mention the refs giving out free touchdowns to Colorado like Halloween candy.

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

DuckMastaFunk wrote: I wonder if the poor effort is off the field. Guys staying out late, partying the night before games and practices. To the casual observer it might not look like much, but to a teammate that knows a guy's potential, it might be very obvious.
That was a staple back in the Belotti years, but changed under Chip when they started staying in a hotel the night of a game. I was good friends with John Bacon back when, and he just went MIA the night of a game.
justducky0
Senior

Post by justducky0 »

whosyourwally wrote:Maybe it's just that our best lineman, one of our best receivers, and our overall best player, in addition to a number of others, have missed the last two games. Not to mention the refs giving out free touchdowns to Colorado like Halloween candy.

This is a joke right?